29 posts
Nomad

I think it would have to be world war 2 because of all the lives that were lost

• 617 Replies
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

lol U said it, but without a doubt I would have to say the Hundred years war, literally for 100 years britain and france fought, knights and merceneries dying for an endless war and believe it or not, a 17 year old maid saved france by leading the armies with renewed hope and valor against my country, I don't hate the french, I like them, but I do know that plenty of people died horrible deaths, Joan of Arc, the maid was burned on a stake, but there are others which are horrible:

The Crusades, if it counts, the Normans cut out 5 peoples eyes and a sixth's nose to lead them back to Saladin, a dignity-full person, true story here:
There was a man, starving in the desert and saw Camel Riders coming to him, thinking they were turkish raiders he thought he would be dead, but they were Saladin's men, they did not harm him, infact they gave him food and water, taking him to Saladin he spent more than 20 years there, surprisingly at the 15th year Saladin offered his return, and many other of the Crusades men, but this man refused, seeing the amazing cities that were made and their honour in battle, he stayed 'till the end.

Beleive it or not, the other side of the war was actually much worse.

- H

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Normans

I'm not an expert on the Crusades so they might have been people there called the Normans but... The"Normans"? I think the Crusades are definently up there as are the 100 years war (117 years, right?)
GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

pretty much any of the wars fought in the early years before all the technology we have now would be considered worse.. now we can fight people and be distanced, but back in the sword and bow days, you were up close in their face.. even if the stories are exaggerated, the battles of greece and rome.. imagine that..

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

'm not an expert on the Crusades so they might have been people there called the Normans but... The"Normans"?

they were descendants of vikings that settled in France around Normandy obviously and yeah they definitely participated in the Crusades
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

they were descendants of vikings that settled in France around Normandy obviously and yeah they definitely participated in the Crusades

Thanks I wasn't sure but I have done some reading since then. they went on the first one which is the one I know least about. but they did well in Antioch. But I knew who the normans were (I am one in geneology terms my family came to England in 1066)
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

We English are a mongrel nation. We have Roman, Celtic, Norman, Saxon and Viking blood. My dad is English but pretty aryan Germanic looking so I'm pretty sure I've got some Saxon in me.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

We English are a mongrel nation. We have Roman, Celtic, Norman, Saxon and Viking blood. My dad is English but pretty aryan Germanic looking so I'm pretty sure I've got some Saxon in me.

It doesn't really help that we kept getting invaded though we're almost on a 1000 year run (woot). Plus we let in a lot of immigrants (god I sound like a BNP member). Its good to mix up the gene pool every so often. I'd prefer to be a mongrel than a pug that canot breath or give birth properly.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Plus we let in a lot of immigrants (god I sound like a BNP member).

That reminds me, I must vote in the European Parliament elections. The BNP have a chance of getting in due to proportional representation, so every vote not for them will help.

I do actually agree that this administration has gone too far with immigration though.

Back on topic though, old technology did cause brutal battles, but I'm still plumping for WW1.
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

old technology did cause brutal battles, but I'm still plumping for WW1.

I agree WWI was the worst war the endless futile bayonet charges against machine guns alone are reason enough to consider it the worst war. I remember reading that French officers, if they were forced to retreat, would counter-attack immediately after, hoping to attack before the enemy they were ready. It would normally result in the deaths of the remaining soldiers. If either side tried to reinforce a position the soldiers sent would be decimated by enemy artillery. World War I was one of the most brutal wars ever fought and, in my opinion, the worst.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Indeed. Not just the bayonet charges, but the use of gas and the all round terrible fighting and living conditions the soldiers suffered are enough for me. That's not counting into the equation that there was a 50% chance of being wounded or killed for the average grunt.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

It didn;t help that it was the first truly mechanised war. So most of the tactics and strategies went out the window. I seem to remember reading about the French generals at the start who got everyone dressed up in fancy uniform hoping to intimidate the enemy and marching in straight lines only to come up against a machine gun. It was an awful war.

Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

but the use of gas and the all round terrible fighting and living conditions the soldiers suffered are enough for me

I forgot about all the horrible poison gases that were cooked up especially mustard gas. They really didn't have anything to protect themselves against it except gas masks but they didn't help with the chemical burns.

It didn;t help that it was the first truly mechanised war. So most of the tactics and strategies went out the window. I seem to remember reading about the French generals at the start who got everyone dressed up in fancy uniform hoping to intimidate the enemy and marching in straight lines only to come up against a machine gun. It was an awful war.

I remember reading about how some french guy, when he was told that the french army should change their uniforms, said that the army would lose all spirit if its red trousers were taken away. The french army was not ready they were expecting for WWI. Most French officers were not promoted based on merit but because of political affiliation and religious beliefs.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Well, I have to say the Cold War. So many lives were lost.

I hope that is sarcasm...
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

technically if you think about it the cold war basically caused a bunch of different wars Chinese revolution, Korean war, Vietnam, Czechoslovakia coup d'etat, Hungarian revolution, soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia during the Prague Spring, Soviet invastion of Afghanistan and a bunch more

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

You all are wrong. CIVIL WAR PEOPLE! More deaths than all the wars combined! AND it was brothers against brothers! A brother from the south shot his confederate brother! Terrible!

Showing 241-255 of 617