ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3748772
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

You would totally be the secretary A secretary for art threads and contests? Yes.

;D I try. :P anyways.

I do await the judging, even though I was not participating.

*Puts on secretary glasses*
Mr. Wolf will be with you shortly. Please, have a seat in the lobby.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Mr. Wolf will be with you shortly. Please, have a seat in the lobby.

*sits down at lobby*
*five seconds later*
...You're telling me you really have nothing better to read here but Highlights for Children?! The world of literature and art has reached a new low.
And as far as the posting at midnight thing goes, I remind you that there are time zones other than AG's....
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Hey bud, I was joking as well. *sigh*
Really, the new people these days have lost their sense of humor.

I dunno Moon, that was pretty aggressive.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

*sits down at lobby*
*five seconds later*
...You're telling me you really have nothing better to read here but Highlights for Children?! The world of literature and art has reached a new low.

Might I direct you to this fascinating story, AG Adventures?
\\Shameless Advertising.

I dunno Moon, that was pretty aggressive.

Because I'm totally known for being this sweet little harmless completely non aggresive fairy that flits from thread to thread saying how beautiful the sun looks today, And how gorgeous the rainbow that I live across is.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Because I'm totally known for being this sweet little harmless completely non aggresive fairy that flits from thread to thread saying how beautiful the sun looks today, And how gorgeous the rainbow that I live across is.

I'm just saying, maybe if you didn't have the tendency to terrify people...
Might I direct you to this fascinating story, AG Adventures?
\\\\Shameless Advertising.

Actually I see Terra Pacis right over on that side table...
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

trufax, bro
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Third Place: KingJac

Hate and Love,Ice and Fire

A spark
Two souls wandering the world,
Two fates touching barely,
Their lives forever swirled,
Meeting quick and rarely.

A growing flame
They meet again while in a rush,
Something clicks and they touch,
Now It's more than a crush,
Living from then on in peace as such.

Growing Cold
A wanderer goes by,
The peace has been broken,
They go off with another guy,
Not leaving as much as a token.

Cold as ice
Feelings hurt and love lost,
The relationship back to strangers,
Passion turns to hate at a cost,
With loneliness has it's dangers.

In third place we have KingJac. I really felt you did a splendid job capturing the theme by comparing it to two contrasting emotions. This poem had a bit of person sesonance with me and I was caught up in the little story you had. I found it interesting the way you incorporated ice into the poem. a well rounded piece of work, well done.

My ice

On the highest branch I sit
Relishing the woodfire's flame
To make of me what it sees fit
I crave the fire's licking blame

As cold as ice I lay atop
This bland and frigid space
Where freezes the littlest teardrop
Quicken the heat and its embrace

Now a throne rather than wood
Is where I express my lonely
An anguish of snow to melt slowly
An effigy of calm and inert blood

But again the breeze it turns
And further the blaze from me
I shan't feel the precious burns
That used to make me happy

Please remember my darling flame
However fiery you become my dame
That you were once mine to price
Yet you're still the fire of my ice

Another poem I found that reached me on a personal level. And as usual a well written piece. I found the use of effigy interesting, since effigies are often burned, and not in a state of stasis. At times I become a little confused on the subject matter, but after a few read throughs I felt I had the main message. I also think the closing stanza was brilliantly done.

First Place and Merit: Hypermnestra

A flame flickers, blindingly bright
For a short and fleeting second
Then it fades to glorious night.

In the sunlight, how snow beckons!
Crystals sparkle like precious gems
For a short and fleeting second

Before dissolving to their end.
Till fire burns away the melting snow
Crystals sparkle like precious gems

'Fore disappearing in heat's glow
If only it was forever!
Till fire burns away the melting snow

I know that it must be severed,
That it must someday meet its end
If only it was forever!

If eternity it could lend.
But beauty comes from the knowing
That it must someday meet its end.

Oh, the glory of the snowing
And burning passion of the flame
But beauty comes from the knowing

Of the end of nature's cruel game
Beauty's not found in crystal ice
And burning passion of the flame

It's true that all beauty must die
That is what makes it beautiful
Beauty's not found in crystal ice

But found in something horrible:
Knowing you won't see it again
That is what makes it beautiful

To be beautiful, it must end
Else how would we treasure it so?
Knowing you won't see it again

We know it will happen, we know
Before ice melts, flame burns away
Else how would we treasure it so?

The burning beauty of the day:
A flame flickers, blindingly bright
Before ice melts, flame burns away
Then it fades to glorious night

Well, this was absolutely stunning. The theme was, to me, captured perfectly in this poem. Like the other two placers this struck a personal note in me. This poem expanded to great depths of human nature and our passions, and desire for what we deem beautiful. Where the others scratched the surface, this plunged headlong into t.hose waters, and that is what makes it so grand. My only personal quip is that the words beauty and beautiful were over used, but aside from that, it is a great piece of work.

Well, now I know how Parsat felt, except no one tried killing him with 10-12 odd entries a week. But, I'm happy to see the poetry contest so competitive again, despite the headache it give me. I have to say I had a hell of a time deciding who was going to place where. And believe me this was no easy decision. So keep up the good work.

Moving on. The next theme is: Direction

Due date: Friday June 17, 2011
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Drat, second place, second place; seems I'm fit for that position; well, good job hypermnestra. At least I know you've worked hard on correcting and perfecting your poem so I'm glad you're the one who triumphed over me.

Still, deception again.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

My only personal quip is that the words beauty and beautiful were over used, but aside from that, it is a great piece of work.

That was intentional. I could have used a thesaurus, but I decided to keep it "beauty" and "beautiful" just because that's a little part of the poem. The speaker is obsessed with "beauty" or its concept just as they are obsessed with death, and I find that it also brings emphasis on the use of "glorious" to describe the word "night" whereas "beauty" describes the word "day".

Well, this was absolutely stunning. The theme was, to me, captured perfectly in this poem. Like the other two placers this struck a personal note in me. This poem expanded to great depths of human nature and our passions, and desire for what we deem beautiful. Where the others scratched the surface, this plunged headlong into t.hose waters, and that is what makes it so grand.

Danke.

At least I know you've worked hard on correcting and perfecting your poem so I'm glad you're the one who triumphed over me.

About that, I sort of just have this quirk about tweaking poems. It happens a lot.
But thank you. You put up an excellent fight, no? I liked your entry a lot.
kingjac11
kingjac11
2,597 posts
Nomad

Beaten by two worthy opponents.I will have to try even harder this time around.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

One Way

I looked at my compass
And it was spinning circles
I must find my way home

But which way is North
And there are no passerby to aid me
In finding the right way

I try to find the sun
But it doesn't rise
I am in the land of eternal darkness

My will is rendered useless
I have given up to dying in this place
The wind, my only companion

My home is South that I am sure of
But if North is missing
Then how can South exist

I have to choose
Any way I can move would work
As long as I go away from here

I point my finger in a single direction
But it is futile
I am not certain where home is

So many choices to make
All of them in the same direction
But they all lead in different ways

One choice
One way
One which will make all the difference

I decided to throw in a little tribute to one of my favorite poets Robert Frost in the last stanza. Coincidentally, the poem that the line that I am referencing in my poem is related to the theme for this week. The poem is "The Road Not Taken" incase any of you are interested. I hope that this tribute does not count as a "stolen" poem and therefore would disqualify me.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

I decided to throw in a little tribute to one of my favorite poets Robert Frost in the last stanza. Coincidentally, the poem that the line that I am referencing in my poem is related to the theme for this week. The poem is "The Road Not Taken" incase any of you are interested. I hope that this tribute does not count as a "stolen" poem and therefore would disqualify me.

Gods no. I love when people tribute something to their favourite poets. I do it often with Eliot. Anyway I love that poem by Frost, it's one of his best.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

About that, I sort of just have this quirk about tweaking poems. It happens a lot.
But thank you. You put up an excellent fight, no? I liked your entry a lot.

Yeah, I really thought I'd nail it this time. I rarely ever go through such...personnal and emotionnal roads when writing poems, and I was sure the picture made of relationships here would charm enough to bring me gold. Well, I'll have to try harder, and maybe return to my old, more implicit and esoteric approach.

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

Just popping by...you guys have really improved since the last time I popped around these parts! The styles are familiar, I think, but the execution has changed a bit...you guys rub off on one another.

When I come back in two months from Mongolia and China, I hope to see more improvement. Just remember to keep sticking to your strengths, whether it be in rhyme, or meter, or diction!

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Yes master, will do. Have a safe journey until then.

Showing 2956-2970 of 3868