ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4255988
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
thiswontwork
thiswontwork
127 posts
Nomad

Oh sorry just read it. Tomorrow is deadline, right?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yes, it is~

There's more than 24 hours till we judge, though, so theoretically you still have time.

Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

Hmmm, I've got an itch.

*Scratch Scratch*

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/Wigginometry/AG%20Art/AGShinyArtContest-1.png

:O

Well, that never happened before.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

wow we are getting quite a few nice entries this week I have to say. Can't wait to see the judging.

Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

Made a few adjustments and added some sparkly effects. I don't know, I think I like this version better, so I'll enter this one instead.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/Wigginometry/AG%20Art/AGShinyArtContestFix.png

Fun fun fun

LufffiStudios
LufffiStudios
1,420 posts
Nomad

You took my advice, great. But now, it depletes my chance of winning. -.-

thiswontwork
thiswontwork
127 posts
Nomad

But now, it depletes my chance of winning. -.-

Mine too =P
xtiamotx
xtiamotx
74 posts
Nomad

Oooh yes. I think the sparklies add to it nicely.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

That's awesome Wigginometry. 2000000000/10 That's going to win for sure.

*claps loudly for him*

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Oi, Wigginometry? More out of interest than suspicion: How did you make that? In what program/with what tools/with what resources (such as brushes and filters)?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I have a suggestion for the theme next round! - Bugs.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Arghhh...I forgot my entry....

Will do it in the next 3 hours, I figure it should be before the judging because it is usually when I am asleep!

Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

Oi, Wigginometry? More out of interest than suspicion: How did you make that? In what program/with what tools/with what resources (such as brushes and filters)?

Gimp 2, it turned into a longer project than I had initially anticipated but the further in I went the less I wanted to stop

I didn't use much brush work, cuz I don't have that kind of steady hand. But its based quite a bit on geometry so with some guides (I think the final total was something like 90-100 guides) and free select I was able to divide up the various facets that you see quite evenly. Each facet is its own layer and a lot of the details in the metal are their own layer too, I really like layers they make working soooo much easier.

The gem was a lot of fun to make, it had some guess work to it but I had a handy class ring available to base the cuts and lighting effects off of (the measuring tool was ever so helpful in this endeavor too). Incidentally my class ring is also blue with a starburst design.

The gradient for the gem was pretty simple. I found a gradient design that I thought worked well for the starburst basis then made a similar version. For anyone interested what you want is a pretty random distribution of hues that go back and forth between two colors 2-4 times. I had to play with it for about 20 minutes before I got what I wanted. Then I just tossed it into the cone shape, centered on the gem and let loose. Then to give each facet the appearance of distinctness, I used the same gradient either slightly off center or pointed in a different direction.

The effect of light reflecting off the gem were just copy layers of the facets underneath filled with white instead of the gradient and with various settings of opaqueness. For the twinkles I went to Filters<light and shadow<supernova and made a few of various sizes.

The metal work dimensions were based off the gem's dimensions, so they'd look like they'd fit together. The base of each triangular arm is the same distance as the short diameter of the inside of the oval rim of the gem (if you could get that). Also each arm has identical dimensions. I chose the length of the arms just on what I found pleasing to the eye.

For all the metal surfaces I used Filters<Decor<Add Bevel and that gave it a good metallic look, then I backed it up with some sparklies. ^.^

And that's that. The final version had some 96 layers, though not all were necessary. It was a fun undertaking, I hadn't had an artistic itch in a long time.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

After redrawing my entry because I lost it (annoying computer not going to hibernate when I told it too so that it ran out of battery and I forgot to save)...I have my entry!

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/117/3/3/Shinnnneeeyyyy_by_KingRyanV.png

This time hosted from my dA account!

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

It actually is bigger than that, although the cut off image looks fine...

Link to full picture!

I expect it to be clickable in the judging!

Showing 4201-4215 of 6854