ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4296290
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
JereN
JereN
189 posts
Peasant

I think it really means that you have to draw your surfaces out of NURPS lines...so no polygons or subdivs...or the NURPS primitives.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I think it really means that you have to draw your surfaces out of NURPS lines...so no polygons or subdivs...or the NURPS primitives.

If I understood you right(as a note I am only a novice at 3D Modeling) then that would mean that you could use the ellipse tool in PhotoShop, but not the Sphere primitive in a 3D Modeling program(which to me is the 3 Dimensional equal) To tell you the truth, you can easily create these same models within seconds using PhotoShops very basic 3D tool called "New Shape from Layer" so that is why I am hoping that is not what she means.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Sorry I just noticed this, but define what you mean by preset shapes, because I had to work with #D Modeling, and if you mean even primitives,such as spheres and Cubes then...well I am hoping thats not what you mean.
Cube and orb being exceptions, pretty much. I've had little to no experience with 3D modeling, but I know there can be numerous preset shapes available... I think the program I was using had a preset monkey head.

It needs to be self made, but I'd agree with a standard orb being the equivalent of a standard circle.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Wait does Cholo think that Cen is a chick???

===> (he is happy because he has a tie!)

Umm...Judging?

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Umm...Judging?

Ha! Now you know how it feels!

Wait does Cholo think that Cen is a chick???

XD That is the most idiotic thing i've ever heard!...
*looks at Zophia* Psst, dont tell him.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Cenere is a chick????

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

So in other words...your an Art Nazi!?

Other words? Trying to misconstrue things in a similar way? Trying to pop your words into a blender, messing them up, brutalizing them in a various ways until they come out in a vaguely similar way? No. These 'other words' that you speak of. . .they are but a grand lie.
Gimme mah cooooookie back!
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Cenere is a chick????

No I am starting to think Cholokid purposely gets Ceneres gender mixed up to mess with him after how many times its happened already. For some reason there has been a lot of Gender confusion with Cenere and I don't quite get why...
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

*yawn*

It's almost midnight here...and why isn't the judging here yet????

The Art Forums are dead...where are all you Amewicans??????

Zzzzz

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

For some reason there has been a lot of Gender confusion with Cenere and I don't quite get why...

Yes.... *insert funny joke about it*

where are all you Amewicans

Awwwww....

And judging will be here, when judging come.... Which might take a while due to rl issues at Zophia. I think.
JereN
JereN
189 posts
Peasant

. I think the program I was using had a preset monkey head.

oh you meant the blenders monkey head :P
but if I make a picture in this style
(no entry)
Winnie the Pooh
so it should be OK?
this is reeeaaallllyyyy old picture that I made back when I was starting the 3D
thingthingfreak
thingthingfreak
1,523 posts
Nomad

For some reason there has been a lot of Gender confusion with Cenere and I don't quite get why...

That sounds really wrong.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Z: So we have a little thing called judging...
C: Yes, we do. Later than it should have been, but who care. (I know you do, people, just play along, will ya?)
Z: Lol. . .
C: Now, we got last week's winner, Cholokid:
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Cholokid34/counttreescopy-2.jpg
Nice one, read the explanation. Sad to say, I forgot what it was, but I do remember the amusement. The only thing I can think up now is "5 meters" which I should research as well, but that is unrelated to the judging.
Z: o.o Okay. Well... Nice drawing. Glad to see he's enjoying his tablet.
C: Very. Tablets seem to have that effect on some people. I still remember when I got my own. Small but handy. And he is doing a fair job with it as well.
I suggest we continue to the judging, miss Moderator?
Z: Suggestion approved. First place:
C: KingRyan

http://dragon-cave-eggs-kr.webs.com/countries.jpg
Refreshingly new idea, and rather original I must say.
Z: It's funny~
C: It is. In the lack of landmass, countries, human would have a lot of problems. Now I get to think of it, last time you won, KingRyan, I think it was with a God joke as well. They seem to bring you a fair amount of luck, or of course, they seem to be the best of your ideas. Congratulations in either case.
Z: Squeak~ Now I suppose I'll unlock my profile (or peofilw as I typo'd) comments long enough for him to get a merit.
C: You will probably have to, unless you rather will have him redirected at any other mod.
Z: Yeah.
C: Now, for the second place, we have Raptor.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr50/SpyroSteak/Country.png
Raptor, the conqueror of countries, I take it?
Z: Accompanied by country music?
C: Agreed. This would most likely have been a really nice short animation, most likely used for a splash for websites. First time I saw it, I thought about NewGround; this not in a bad way, I think it might have been the colours, if anything. It looks nice, a good signature image, if AG had signatures, of course.
Z: *noddles* Oh, and sorry 'bout my lack of comments today...
C: It is most likely okay. Third place goes to the mixture of countries in Crimsonblade's entry.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd349/crimsonblade55/Countries2.png
Nice impersonation of Zophia, Sasquatch look almost like a mazzelh with brown fur, or, of course, like Sasquatch looking kittishly. This gives a nice image of the world situation. USA having problems, China winning in on everything but environment, Russia doing nothing (since the Poland incident, wasn't it?), and Denmark... Seemingly being Zophia. Yes, the world is moving.
Z: Denmark seems oddly misplaced, though. >_>
C: Depends on the image, I guess. We have been a major part of the war in Irac and all, even though we are a tiny country. But yes, three major countries and Denmark, well. I still find it entertaining.
Z: Wasn't what I meant, but let's carry on~
C: Sorry then. Now, for the rest of the entries, we have a moderator. No, not Strop. Ubertuna.

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/3/31/ubertuna/f_greyscale2m_5593039.jpg
Hm, yes, greyscale. It looks rather well, the effect of the brush giving it a nice texture, and makes it stand out on the plain grey background.
Z: Remind me... Gray vs. grey. Which is the American spelling?
C: Gray. Grey is the English way of spelling it, if we can trust my dictionary.
Z: Ah yes. It's a nice shade.
C: Very. The brush is my kid sister's favorite for bloody marks. Just for the sake of random. Oh, and then we got Zega and his "Zegaland".

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/96Zega96/Shwwiiidn.png
Also know as Sweden. And I have to say the quality and ideas of his entries are getting better by the week. If he keeps it up, he will most likely end up in the top three every time.
Z: ... Right.
C: So just keep up the work, Zega. Now, the collection of "America's Hat" pictures. Gantic with a different approach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/AG/uninspiredaustraliajoke.gif
Is that a kiwi?
Z: It looks like it? Dragging kangaroo dung?
C: Yes. New Zealand taking the garbage, I guess? Nice idea, not as confusing as some of his works can be. The design is simple, reminding me of his raptor entries back then. Comfortable to the eye.
Z: Yes~
C: And Thisisnotanalt has another.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5241/altsawesomeidea.png
For some reason I would like a Canada hat (one like the one Gantic portrayed), just for cheering for Canada. And sadly, I know to little about Canada, which seems to be a fault from my side. The only thing I know is what I can remember from "Canadian Idiot" by Weird Al, and that is not much nor very positive. But fun, at least. Hm, I got sidetracked there.
Z: Syrup and maple leafs? Anyways~ Hat store?
C: Yes. No respect for those places, their hats are way to expensive for me to use my money there. Hmm, if Canada is America's hat, is Denmark then Germany's little distorted hat?
Z: Maaaybe?
C: Europe is hard to make fun with, besides shapes. Like Jutland having a nose, and Italy being a boot. Now, for Apocalypse.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/Apocalypse_ArmorGames/countries.jpg
Not much of a images, besides being "Drawn" in paint. A quick idea that could have been made better by drawing, but the idea of it makes sense. Do the same with planets? Though Pluto would not fit in there either.
Z: Interesting - font, though.
C: And readable unlike my handwriting, sadly.
Z: Your handwriting is readable.
C: Hardly. Now, last but not least, JereN and his alternate worldmap.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3415/countries.png
Hmm, maybe I should go to Scotland one day.
Z: Oh?
C: Whiskey. But yes, even though it seems a little distorted, this was a very interesting idea as well, just like some of the satire drawings I have seen of Europe during WW2. Or the statistical images, where the lands are distorted from how high they are in the statistic.
Z: Indeed. *considers writing a comment, decides against it*
C: I wonder is that is a fish up there in Denmark..
Now we just got the new theme left.
Z: Yes... Thoad suggested 'Dreams'.
C: Instead of Mods? Okay.

Theme: Dreams
Deadline: Monday the 13th.

Z: That was... Easily selected. o.o
C: I guess. Does it matter?
Z: Not really, I s'ose. Thoad'll probably be happy?
C: Yes. I wonder if the moderator one will be there next time. Oh well. Now, let us see is Strop has any word for me this time...
Z: Nyu...
C: *grabs Crime and Punishment and walks off*
Z: *kittens after*

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

That sounds really wrong.

oh thats just simply because you are really wrong in the head thats all...(I am joking of course...or am I?)
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

oh you meant the blenders monkey head :P
but if I make a picture in this style
(no entry)
Winnie the Pooh
so it should be OK?
this is reeeaaallllyyyy old picture that I made back when I was starting the 3D
I think so~
And yes, Blender it was~