ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4228928
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

It has nothing to do with the theme....

C'mon! It was the theme all on a few pixels! You gotta give me points for that.
I know,I kind of figured that out when I saw it,but I was too tempted to joke the fact that it looked like the arrows from DDR.

It just occurred to me what DDR was, I thought it was some popular band cuz I heard of a bunch of DDR songs on a game I play (of which were just way too preppy *shakes head*) and I thought it was a band...I feel like such a fool XD.
Examples, Thoad? What passage? The theme? The other quote in the end of the judging? Or is it just you keeping up the she to a degree that you are starting to hallucinate....

Someone sounds a little defensive, but it's in the theme, if you want to know so much, lol. I could expect it from me, being as dulty and...forgetful as I am, but you yourself should know your own gender, ya?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

C'mon! It was the theme all on a few pixels! You gotta give me points for that.

No. It is taking the quote, put it in a drawing and draw a stickfigure go whut...

Someone sounds a little defensive, but it's in the theme, if you want to know so much, lol. I could expect it from me, being as dulty and...forgetful as I am, but you yourself should know your own gender, ya?

There is one 'her' in the theme, and it is refering to the landlady Raskolnikov lives at. The theme is not refering to me at all, it is a quote from Crime and Punishment, but of course you would not care to read the place where I said it, or understand why Strop renamed the theme to what it is now...
Defensive, sure... I am not one to take the honour of a great work from the owner. And I am darn angry enough in the first place, so your mockeries fuel it nicely, ms Thoad!
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I just took a look at the rules...

1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by [the judges] for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 670 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week. [It is however common for the entry made by the winner of the previous week to be displayed at the beginning of the judging.]
5. After the deadline, [the judges] will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus.
Drawn entries please.
Blob of text with added figure is hereby strongly discouraged, since it appears to be needed. Drawn letters are mildly acceptable (I'm talking stuff like graffiti here, not crude handwriting).
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Zophia don't you think your taking that rule out of context,since that rule was mainly made to prevent people from taking pictures not drawn by people and editing it,and then claiming it as their own.It says that it can be manipulated using a graphic arts program,which means adding blobs of text in my opinion.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

There is one 'her' in the theme, and it is refering to the landlady Raskolnikov lives at. The theme is not refering to me at all, it is a quote from Crime and Punishment, but of course you would not care to read the place where I said it, or understand why Strop renamed the theme to what it is now...
Defensive, sure... I am not one to take the honour of a great work from the owner. And I am darn angry enough in the first place, so your mockeries fuel it nicely, ms Thoad!

Fine fine, I'll withdraw for two reasons, that Zophia looked at the rules and found that it has to be "hand drawn" by a literal degree, and because you thongs in a knot.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Zophia don't you think your taking that rule out of context,since that rule was mainly made to prevent people from taking pictures not drawn by people and editing it,and then claiming it as their own.It says that it can be manipulated using a graphic arts program,which means adding blobs of text in my opinion.

He has written something and added drawing, not drawn something and written something. And hell, if he does not even care where it is from, what it is, if he sh... all over the explainations on the same page as the theme, and just c/p's it, without copyrighting the quote, well....
And to me, it is not drawn in context of the theme... The "Run" one is not either.
People are lazy and uncreative... Even now when the theme has been simplified, there is nothing...
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

And to me, it is not drawn in context of the theme... The "Run" one is not either.
People are lazy and uncreative... Even now when the theme has been simplified, there is nothing...

Cenere tell me is the one that says RUN really out of context,the theme is about fleeing is it not?Really its all a matter of opinion,but how do you really know?I think also that some people may not understand exactly what the theme is.Thoads is that only one that was created after it was summarized.I get that you want people to be creative and all,but that does not mean you have to...ah forget it I don't have the energy for this today.So I will leave my post as it is...
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Well, it's a bad theme to me because it's very confusing, and when it's simplified, it's just a little too specific. Ok scratch that, it's just plain specific and...unusual, more unusual than any other theme of the art comp. It's alien, really. So yeah, sorry if I PO'd you with my opinion.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I will apologize for rudeness and anger. Sorry, I was caught in the temper. Now my hands hurt..
But yes, sorry for all that, I know you love to mock me and all that.

Crimson, I am just trying to get some ambition from people. It might be a hard theme for everyone but me, and that is why I want people to actually think about this, grab the ideas and opputunities.
I know I seem terribly harsh, but there is so much that can be done with this.
As for the entries, well, I have seen two with something like an abstract idea of something, I have seen mockeries of the theme at hand as well, and I have seen the run one that is no more than the word run! on a coloured background.
As it was created before the simplified theme, well, there is nothing in the theme that counts as running.
In general I get annoyed thoughs of most of what have been entered, like I do when I am in an art museum and realized how crappy some popular artists draw.
See my ramblings as frustration because I know more than half of you have the talent and imagination to actually work with the theme...
At least now I know that you should not get theme that does not look like this "Cat." "Airplane." "Mock Cen."
Nothing you need to reflect at...

I will apologize for being a frustrated asshole that is tempted by emotions, and hope for something... I will shut up untill the judging...

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

When I have answered Thoad:
More pissed because of the "gender confussion"... It is getting tiresome and annoying, and if it has to be an issue every time I am talking to you, well, I will miss the company of you... And probably AG too, if it comes to that...
I write nothing near as good as Dostoevsky... I am just a young, stupid student, with a liking of telling stories... There is no talent behind it really...

Hey..

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I will apologize for rudeness and anger. Sorry, I was caught in the temper. Now my hands hurt..
But yes, sorry for all that, I know you love to mock me and all that.

Just remember that I'm...really not the only one. I even do it to my mom, but we laugh together...I have a raunchy sense of humour. Also, I pretty much mock EVERYBODY, hell, when I'm in a clan or guild of a video game I'd constantly mock them when I had the chance, it's how I get my laughs. Immature it may be, but it works to keep me from throwing a rock through the neighboors window with a note saying "Get out now, or else".

Mainly, it's an awkward theme that I (and most likely others) can not relate to; it's hard to think of what to draw and then draw it, I thought that art was supposed to be INSPIRED, not forced upon, correct? Besides, that just makes it uncomfortable to do something like this, because you have to sit there for who knows how long thinking of a way to get a theme, and then you're too stressed from all the thinking and bashing yourself that you never end up drawing it (that happened to me on the zombie theme).
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

well ever since the Rhinos and Penguins theme it feels like we(or at least myself,I can't speak for others) have to put everything that was within the theme or something.Was the idea just to take parts from the theme and run with what we got out of it?

there is nothing in the theme that counts as running.

hmm after looking at the theme once again I actually understood what the full version of it meant.A guy didn't want to listen to some girl ramble on so he silently snuck out,but anyways I typically consider Fleeing as Running Away,but this is a bit of a different form of fleeing it seems...
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

hmm after looking at the theme once again I actually understood what the full version of it meant.A guy didn't want to listen to some girl ramble on so he silently snuck out,but anyways I typically consider Fleeing as Running Away,but this is a bit of a different form of fleeing it seems...

Yeah, it's specifically towards subtly creeping out of a persons rambling/gossip. Again, it just seems a bit too specific for me, and since my joke is obviously disqualified due to the quote being a quote from a copyrighted book, then my mock is a shmock, and I shall *ock me in the flock.

As for you Cenere, I really don't intend to bash you all this much, and trust me, I do not target you, it's just that it seems a bit easy of a kill. I don't want you to leave AG, and I do it for sheer amusement, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, and I do not mean to offend, but to just have some comedy. I like you company and you're a great user, and should you ever leave, you'll be missed by much more than zoph and me.
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

So If I make a picture for my entry and i want to add a caption or them saying something then is that fine?
Captions are fine.
A blob of text is one thing, something completely different is making an entry which barely consists of a drawing at all. This is not a writing competition. Even though the title says art skills, I know you all know this is about graphics. And honestly I don't think the graphical design ones (which text based entries are, imo) are suitable entries.
Drawn entries please. Or ASCII art if you know how to do it. Just don't make the text the main focus.

If you dislike that ruling, start a petition. If people disagree with me, then so be it. But I'd just like to see more actual drawings.

It says that it can be manipulated using a graphic arts program,which means adding blobs of text in my opinion.
Adding a blob of text. Not adding a drawing to a blob of text.
prevent people from taking pictures not drawn by people and editing it
And he took the text written by someone else and edited by making it a picture. So... His entry was someone's writing, first readable then in odd font, and a little Paint scribble added to it.
No offense to you at all, Thoad, but that really isn't... It's... Eck.

If people disagree with me on this, let me know.

Mainly, it's an awkward theme that I (and most likely others) can not relate to; it's hard to think of what to draw and then draw it, I thought that art was supposed to be INSPIRED, not forced upon, correct?
Look beyond the literal words, then.

*sighs*

With the general age of participators it seems that the themes should be something everyone could easily relate to... But hard themes is when some will prove themselves to be really versatile...

/did not proof-read post
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

since my joke is obviously disqualified due to the quote being a quote from a copyrighted book

You know its funny half of my entry is pure text,and it includes the same exact quote yet they didn't make a big deal out of mine.I think its just a matter of you keeping the drawn portions too simple,or they are just waiting to attack me...
Showing 3286-3300 of 6854