ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 5492571
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

OK well one thing concerning the judging though.

Besides Sasquatch's head looking a bit rectangular, but that is a minor detail that might be intended so no more words about that.

Well in a way that was sort of intentional. I actually thought that you wouldn't like the overkill bevel and emboss, but apparently from what I can tell you did. As for the rectangular head. I was trying for absolutely no reason to make him look like this guy.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~ddkingolin/E3Gumbi.jpg

Though the pose was really more from Cactuar, but thats a minor detail. Also quick question did you get what I meant by a Hybrid though?

About the current theme I will figure out what I am going to do. I already have the idea to do something related to Heroes since tomorrow is the premiere of season 4 and its one of my favorite shows...but I will figure it out.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

So I know that you want to limit the use of filters and such but in my opinion they are the tools that are given to those to help the artist express themselves now I can understand that you disapprove of some methods of creating a piece of work, anyone seen Mr. Brooks a psycho path that kills people and takes pictures and considers it art, but when you say drawn by hand or in a program and you strictly go by those standards it brings my old question that if I use a 3D program to render an Image it would use more computer calculations...that is what filters do to create an effect, then possible any filter from any 2d program. Yet I was told I could use a 3D program that I have created my own models and such. Now if you consider that a 3D program is a viable method of creating art, why do you disapprove of filters that in a very small way fall short of the capabilities of a 3D program?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Let me just post the definition I found when naming the theme:
Equine

of, relating to, or resembling a horse or the horse family

The OnlineDictionary definition is good too~

Would be like feline or canine.
Exactly. Or lapine, vulpine, bovine, avian, reptilian, insectile, ichtyoid... No wait, not sure about that last one.

BUT, that is no longer of any importance^^;

So I know that you want to limit the use of filters and such but in my opinion they are the tools that are given to those to help the artist express themselves now I can understand that you disapprove of some methods of creating a piece of work

Filters are indeed a tool, or tools, if one uses many.
But adding filters onto a piece does NOT always improve it. I'm quite certain Cenere does not over all disprove of the use of filters.
There's no reason to limit the amount of filters you use if you know what you're doing or genuinely want to experiment. But it won't necessarily make whatever you're adding them to look better.

anyone seen Mr. Brooks a psycho path that kills people and takes pictures and considers it art
I wouldn't consider that art.

but when you say drawn by hand or in a program and you strictly go by those standards it brings my old question that if I use a 3D program to render an Image it would use more computer calculations...that is what filters do to create an effect, then possible any filter from any 2d program. Yet I was told I could use a 3D program that I have created my own models and such. Now if you consider that a 3D program is a viable method of creating art, why do you disapprove of filters that in a very small way fall short of the capabilities of a 3D program?
There is no issue with the general use of filters. However, Cen seems to have found that the filter you had applied to your drawing made it look "like a plastic figure".
I would actually like to see what it looked like before you added the filter. I have no idea whether the effect is good compared to what it looked like before, but the texture it has given the fur and some of the armor does not add up to the general shading perfectly, so it can be concluded that there is still something that could be worked on to make it look better.
No one expects anyone to do anything perfectly, of course, but when there's room for potential improvement...

Anyway. A slight criticism is not the same as saying DO NOT USE FILTERS, MORTAL FOOLS. (No, I don't think Cen would ever say that anyway. >_&gt
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Anyway. A slight criticism is not the same as saying DO NOT USE FILTERS, MORTAL FOOLS. (No, I don't think Cen would ever say that anyway. >_&gt

DO NOT USE FILTERS, MORTAL FOOLS!
That was fun.

Anyway, in addiction to what Zophia already explained:
It does not matter how many filters you used. One seemed to be enough to give it a texture that was not very good for what you wanted to achieve. Personally I think you should have used the lasso tool to make sure it was only used for the chainmail, and then either found something else for the rest, or left it as it was (whatever giving the best result).
Yup.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Yeah, I'm actually really disappointed in that. :< The theme wasn't 'Horses', it was 'Equines'... Yet everyone just went horse.

Miss me? :P
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

no but I dont know you.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

More "obscure" interpretations coming soon? :3
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

More "obscure" interpretations coming soon? :3

Maybe next theme. I have tests to study for this week.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Maybe next theme. I have tests to study for this week.

Don't we all... Besides Zophia > >...
*sigh*
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Well at least I know what mistakes I have made...since it was my first image I have posted in a long time and next TIME....it should be better

GuitarHeroFtw
GuitarHeroFtw
859 posts
Nomad

Hey, what happened to Forumposter420s entry? did i miss something?

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Hey, what happened to Forumposter420s entry? did i miss something?

First of all, it was not his art, secondly it was not made for this contest, and thirdly, it was 420.
GuitarHeroFtw
GuitarHeroFtw
859 posts
Nomad

First of all, it was not his art, secondly it was not made for this contest, and thirdly, it was 420.

Oh Epic fail,

althought looking through his comments it just said that 420 was his birth date, so it couldve just been a unlucky misunderstood newbie but who knows.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

althought looking through his comments it just said that 420 was his birth date, so it couldve just been a unlucky misunderstood newbie but who knows.

The chance of that is not horribly big. Pretty sure the mods check every way they can, though.
GuitarHeroFtw
GuitarHeroFtw
859 posts
Nomad

So Forumposter did actually make it?

Showing 6016-6030 of 6854