ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStrop's sporadic scrapbook

1567 749571
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Right, so I pulled out of the previous GFX round due to not being able to finish on time. Since then I've been working on the image on-and-off and now it's finished only about a week late.

The picture shown below is half the size, the fullsize one can be found by clicking on the picture.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/dongstyle_ltd/Not%20photos/technologyfinal.jpg

The full resolution pic (1280xs1024) is low quality...the high quality version is 1.1Mb and doesn't fit on photobucket xD Lame. Except I feel justified with the size...this was hand-drawn from start to finish.

I should have tidied up the sketchlines more, but wasn't actually intending to spend this much effort on it. Meh.

• 1,567 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Wouldn't that seriously inhibit flying?

No **** :P

And how'd he lose it?

I'm not saying here, that'd spoil the story!

Alright, seeing as I'm meeting my editor tomorrow, I wanted to get this done, so...

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/defiance.jpg
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

I'm not saying here, that'd spoil the story!

He loses it to a surprise attack of Orson Welles and TS Eliot wielding metaphorical axes made of Malthusian crises and game theory.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

What animal were you depicting in that picture, Strop?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Orson Welles and TS Eliot wielding metaphorical axes made of Malthusian crises and game theory

Close, but try George Orwell and Philip K Dick. Damnit, I KNOW I just got censored!

What animal were you depicting in that picture, Strop?

A cross between a human and a peregrine falcon.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

How can anyone not recognize the characteristic peregrine feather patterning? Am I the only one who's read the Animorphs (one of Jake's transformations)? or watch The Magic School Bus "In the City"? or those relevant Nature documentaries? or watch peregrine falcons and red-tailed hawks (Tobias got stuck as one.) kill pigeons about the city parks and skyline? (One hawk took a gopher from a schoolyard. Of course, it was during class.)

Close, but try George Orwell and Philip K ****. ****it, I KNOW I just got censored!

I call Orson Scott Card on your gonna get censored. That's right. You know what I'm talking about.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

We all read Animorphs. We don't talk about Animorphs.

(One hawk took a gopher from a schoolyard. Of course, it was during class.)
Sweet. What kind of hawk? (Or to be more direct, ever notice how Tobias was called a hawk a lot? That was weird.)

Is it just me, or does Orlestat look like a girl in that picture? Manly knees, though.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

How can anyone not recognize the characteristic peregrine feather patterning? Am I the only one who's read the Animorphs (one of Jake's transformations)? or watch The Magic School Bus "In the City"? or those relevant Nature documentaries? or watch peregrine falcons and red-tailed hawks (Tobias got stuck as one.) kill pigeons about the city parks and skyline? (One hawk took a gopher from a schoolyard. Of course, it was during class.)

I think I have seen all of those :P i had animorphs gettin dusty in my garage....
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Close, but try George Orwell and Philip K ****. ****it, I KNOW I just got censored!

Dude, Orson Welles made Citizen Kane! He was, like, super-deeep! He was waaay more deep than George Orwell! Oh em gee.

I never read any Animorphs books. They were in my library, but they looked cheesy.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Peregrine falcon is...the best bird ever. (Not to mention fastest)
Although this guy's heavier build and feet might slow him down in the air but he makes up for it in brute strength and ground skirting speed.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Peregrine falcon is...the best bird ever. (Not to mention fastest)

Its hunting dive is the fastest. Its actual flying speed is actually not even close to the fastest birds in the world. But its dive hits over 200 mph for a short period of time.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

That's correct, in fact the peregrine falcon can only do about 100kph tops in level flight. And it occurs to me giving a falcon manly legs and stuff would really screw up the aerodynamics and weighting... but oh well!

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

But it more than makes up for it in Manliness Per Hour.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I decided to take a little break from WoM and my other commitments to get some sketch ideas for Strugglers that have been bouncing around in my head down. Canvas currently not filled, will probably complete it tomorrow or something.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/strugglerssketchpad.png

Top left: Nes, in one of his typical spacey moments.

Top middle: Mestre Raigeki doing his day job. Despite appearances, he does his best to keep in touch with his soft side, or, perhaps I should say despite appearances, he keeps an inner-demon at bay...

Top right: Pat and Nagesh (short for Nathan Ganeshwaran). They're actually best friends but they tend to argue a lot... I took after Asterix and Obelix, and Calvin and Hobbes. I know "overweight ox" would have sort-of fit better (Pat's a water buffalo from Cambodia), but hey, oompa-loompa was funnier

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I am wondering, since I don't know the character ages, whether they are intentionally juvenile looking due to the shortened muzzles or that's to make them more human-like. I still can't help but think Nes resembles Parsat's character from WOM.

At first I thought Pat was that goat from I forgot where and then I realized he wasn't. I don't remember ever having seen Pat in this thread before. One has to wonder of Pat also breakdances and how the heck he would pull that off.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Nes is deliberately that way. I think the resemblance to Parsat would be because they have almost exactly the same posture and demeanor in their respective sketches. But otherwise Nes is designed to be a bit scruffy, his head a bit blocky, and his face more human-like because it's going to show a wide range of expressions. At the stage I've drawn him (he starts off as a skinny runt), he'll be equivalent to a 19 y.o. human.

I'm yet to find the true style I'll use with Pat and Nagesh, as while their stories are tragic they attack life with youthful vigour, though Pat is probably a fair bit older (late twenties) than Nagesh is (early twenties). After my first "realistic" sketch, Cen sketched a comic version of Nagesh which I was far more partial to, but haven't got the hang of yet. Pat will probably score a few more wrinkles and look even heavier than he already does.

In my attempt to show a gentle side, I accidentally made Raigeki look younger than he actually is. He's probably at least in his early thirties.

Nes' eventual lapine counterpart (Quinn, whom you'll see on the bottom when I draw her tonight) looks much older because, well, she is, and yes, I use a longer (but equally stylized) muzzle. Aeryn, whom has been frequently featured on this thread, looks old, because she's closer to forty, and strangely enough yes, I use a realistically shaped head.

It's like a nose, lol. It's the one part of your face that never stops growing as you age.

One has to wonder of Pat also breakdances and how the heck he would pull that off.

Pat tries but honestly he's not that good. His horns keep getting stuck in the stage. When Pat and Nagesh have a disagreement, their yelling match ends up in one of them challenging the other to a battle, which will go until Pat's horns invariably get stuck. Whether he ever overcomes this problem remains to be seen.
Showing 1216-1230 of 1567