ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStrop's sporadic scrapbook

1567 749573
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Right, so I pulled out of the previous GFX round due to not being able to finish on time. Since then I've been working on the image on-and-off and now it's finished only about a week late.

The picture shown below is half the size, the fullsize one can be found by clicking on the picture.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/dongstyle_ltd/Not%20photos/technologyfinal.jpg

The full resolution pic (1280xs1024) is low quality...the high quality version is 1.1Mb and doesn't fit on photobucket xD Lame. Except I feel justified with the size...this was hand-drawn from start to finish.

I should have tidied up the sketchlines more, but wasn't actually intending to spend this much effort on it. Meh.

• 1,567 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Your peregrin hawk is amazing! Makes me want to dig out my pencil again, I've got some serious work to catch up..

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Okay, that update was slightly delayed because I drew a birthday present for somebody instead >_>

No I'm not posting it here.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Since you said it, Strop, you might as well.... :3

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I'll let that certain somebody else decide whether they want to post it here, when they're done with it <_<

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Something tells me it's no ordinary birthday present pic.... but nice Peregrin

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

It was a request, and that's all I have to say about it!

Thanks. I'm getting Defiance professionally printed, as a gift. It's a statement of intention, of the novel based on that character.

Some stuff added to the sketch, check the previous page. Refreshhhhh!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Changes made: I thought about Gantic's shortened muzzle comment and edited a few things, and sure enough, now a couple of the characters look marginally older.

New character on the bottom-right: Quinn. Those of you who follow this thread will know Quinn's essential story. I'm not happy with her head shape as it is here (it's supposed to be very simple, but came out a bit more angular than I'd like), but I did also change her build: this is Quinn after she mellows out a little.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I'm guessing Pat isn't into breakdance enough to consider filing down his horns for whatever personal reason.

A few lines seems to make all the difference. Seeing how subtle changes cause drastic results, I don't know how you deal with it as an artist, especially when you know something doesn't look quite right.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Seeing how subtle changes cause drastic results, I don't know how you deal with it as an artist, especially when you know something doesn't look quite right.

I rely on people to articulate that niggling, maddening sense of self-doubt I can't quite place.

Or I just thinkg "hey, that's new" and leave it at that lol.

Pat has sworn to improve even while keeping his horns. I think he actually gradually bends them into a slightly less pointy shape!
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Okay, here's the page of sketches finished. I'm in the middle of doing yearbook stuff as well as the WoM, so very busy...

These are the most influential characters in Strugglers. There's the protagonist, and then there's those who mold the protagonist's motives.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/strugglerssketchpad.png

Top left: Nes. The protagonist of the story, such that Strugglers is essentially an abbreviated biography.

Top middle: Raigeki. Former gangster turned gentle giant, he hopes that if he immerses himself enough in teaching the children, it won't matter what kind of hellhole he's in. But is it really strength or weakness that drives one to violence?

Top right: Pat and Nagesh, from the Amnesty Crew. Refugees from Cambodia and Bangladesh respectively who are trying to form a refugee liaison on the West coast of the US while breakdancing as a hobby (and for pocket-money). They're best friends, but tend to get into rapidly escalating arguments...

Bottom right: Quinn. A rebellious runaway from Japan, so-called the "Ice Queen" of the international breakdance circuit for not only being the best female, but also the best in general. Ruthless and driven, she sacrifices everything for the sake of remaining the best, and attracts the most powerful who in reality dream of being able to beat her. There are concerns that her continued influence on the dance underground is causing imbalance.

Bottom middle: Hal. Nes' eldest brother, separated from Nes when Ward 9 went under in the days following Katrina. Motivated, reliable and loyal, Hal was partial to his shy youngest brother, and their relationship has a profound effect on Nes for most of the story, despite, and because of their separation. I particularly like how his expression came out, it's very him.

Bottom left: Aeryn. A code name for a mercenary who has nothing else to go on after a life of active duty in a cruel army. Master of surviving and rationalising away her murderous lifestyle while plagued by recurrent nightmares, is she truly beyond any shred of redemption?

I'll eventually go through and get the other characters drawn... or maybe first I'll go through this sheet and redraw them the way I plan to!

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

You mammalist hotblood! Leporids and Felines and Ungulates. Oh, my!

Hal looks a little daft and more apt to find himself in hairier situations. Of course, he also looks like the sort of protagonist you'd see on the cover of a movie case. Heck, with a little editing, this looks like a wraparound.

Also, I gotta wonder if Quinn's tracksuit(?) is yellow.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

You mammalist hotblood!

I guess you haven't seen my crocodile character by the name of Salty yet...

Hal looks a little daft and more apt to find himself in hairier situations.

Hal isn't bright, no. He's good with his hands, good with mechanics, and he's 'streetwise', which, in reality, means he daftly tried to make Nes more confident by getting him to come out more often and then would land both of them in hairy situations, when Nes was a sensible little kitten who preferred to play with the NES that Hal had found and fixed (hence his nickname). But what he lacks in certain types of intelligence he makes up with heart and never-say-die attitude. Ever since he and Nes were separated he turned his efforts to the recovery and rebuilding of New Orleans, because he knew what he could do there, but always hoped he'd find his little brother again.

Also, I gotta wonder if Quinn's tracksuit(?) is yellow.

ROFL. You, sir, win one internet.

I really should draw that one day... but alas it is not. It's red and white, with a rising sun on the back... here you go!
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I guess you haven't seen my crocodile character by the name of Salty yet...

That's about as mammalist as you can get! A crocodile! Named Salty!

I didn't see Quinn there the first or second time around. I probably would never have noticed if you didn't say she was in there.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

That's about as mammalist as you can get! A crocodile! Named Salty!

You're saying that as if I was saying that as if it were a bad thing :<

I didn't see Quinn there the first or second time around. I probably would never have noticed if you didn't say she was in there.

She's a loner like that.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

That's for you to imagine.

Showing 1231-1245 of 1567