ForumsProgramming ForumWant to make simple games?

31 12229
jb701926
jb701926
283 posts
Nomad

I found this site called YoyoGames and you can download a game maker from it. It's really simple, just download it and make games! It has forums and stuff where if you ask for help, you get it! Lol

Yoyo Games!

• 31 Replies
mattt15
mattt15
1,669 posts
Nomad

I tryed it but i don't know whats sprites???

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Sprite is what they call a 2d graphic unit, like MegaMan is a sprite, Sonic, Mario

Even the coins/rings and the backgrounds are sprites, it's just 2D graphics for games

Flash however don't use sprites, but vectorial graphics

mattt15
mattt15
1,669 posts
Nomad

okay thanx =P

mattt15
mattt15
1,669 posts
Nomad

now im confused, it dosen't work?

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Flash however don't use sprites, but vectorial graphics

ALL images inside a game are considered sprites, regardless of how they are rendered.
Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

To be considered sprites they actually have to be made of pixels

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure that all images are made of pixels, correct me if im wrong.

LonLonRanch
LonLonRanch
172 posts
Nomad

correct me if im wrong.

Correction: not all images are made of pixels

Programs such as Flash and Illustrator use vector graphics rather than pixels, which are used in programs such as Photoshop and MS Paint. However, pixel images can still be used in Flash.
thaggard53
thaggard53
808 posts
Nomad

I have been using game maker for a while, and I am pretty good at it. I am currently working on a new game, if you would like to see it, just post on my profile and tell me. I hope you enjoy it.

Generalhero
Generalhero
396 posts
Farmer

wow i understand japanese better than what you are saying lol

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Programs such as Flash and Illustrator use vector graphics rather than pixels, which are used in programs such as Photoshop and MS Paint. However, pixel images can still be used in Flash.

did you just say they use pixels in photoshop,but not flash.Unless there was a misunderstanding there,last time I checked photoshop was the built in image making program used on all adobe flash developing programs,so that would be sort of a hypocritical statement if you think about it.I know you are a flash developer yourself,but that doesn't mean you still shouldn't get your facts straight.On the other hand I may have had a bit of a misconception about something myself so who knows,but I'm sure Dank is right on that subject.Also Game Maker is actually pretty good if you just want to make game development a hobby,and it is good to give you the feel of creating games,before you move onto more advanced programs like flash.So I would suggest people who are completely new to it all to go ahead and try it,but as a far warning.You can't submit it on sites like AG which only support flash format,and you can't make a profit from it,but it could still be used as a good starting program none the less.In fact it is the first program they teach the 2nd year computer systems technology class how to use,at my school before they move on to more complicated programs.I think though that many people on here,besides some of the newer members should have heard of it by now.
jb701926
jb701926
283 posts
Nomad

Here's what will solve the problem! In this case, sprites are images that you will use to make objects. It is what the object will look like.

And this thread is here for your convenience, not to start arguments!

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

Sorry if I'm continuing the argument, but I have to agree with LonLon...

When you draw something in Flash, it stores the angle of the curves and position as a data...and each time it needs to reproduce the curve, it spits out the data which, to our eyes, make a curve. Thus when you zoom in on vector graphics, it still looks good (without blurs) since it just spits out the numbers/data again.

However, in the case of raster graphics, it stores the colour value of each pixel and then just reproduces the colours. Thus when you zoom in on the picture, it becomes blurred since each pixel is increased in size while the original quality is lost.

And Photoshop isn't only a raster graphics program...it can handle vectors...just like Flash can handle raster graphics.

I hope this clears some stuff up...If you'd like to learn more about either art type, just look it up on Wikipedia...I remember they had a good section on Vector Art.

Communist
Communist
522 posts
Nomad

I find this rather intreaging; I've always wanted o make my very own game.

jb701926
jb701926
283 posts
Nomad

Well now you can with the...

Crap, I sound like a cheap commercial...

Showing 1-15 of 31