ForumsArt, Music, and WritingYaltan, Massel and stuff...

50 14463
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

This thread will more or less just be here for my own "entertainment's" sake - meaning I don't wanna be told off for double or triple posting if no one comments on what I put up here.
I'm only saying this, because I know threads with stories and such tends to be forgotten. I would love comments on what I post.

Alright then.

I have two languages I'm developing for my worlds/species. I haven't worked on them for a very long time, but now I feel like getting back to it. So I'll be posting incomprehensible text here. Sometimes with a translation, mayhaps I'll even post the dictionaries in the progress...
AND THERE WILL BE TONS OF SPELLING ERRORS BECAUSE AG HATES SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN WRITING.
And there shall be pictures, for I have alphabets for my creations.

To begin with - a poem with a structure strongly based on one about Aragorn in 'The Lord of the Rings'.
I really liked the structure of that poem, and found it fitting, so changed a bunch of things and came out with a 'ost doomsday' prophecy from Hrowan (one of my worlds).

English
From the Darkness a Fire shall be woken
The King through the shadows will fall
Renewed be the World that were broken
The Ash brought to life by his Call

Danish (just because it's gibberish to most of you :P)
Fra Moerket skal en Flamme blive vaekket
Skygger vaere skyld i Kongens fald
Fornyet blive Verden som blev knaekket
Asken bragt til live af hans Kald

Yaltan (with aforementioned errors - why no n with a ~ on it??)
Ki za Othot zz'gun zan Ignan fyhr weinahn
Za Chohn zehj za Ydahrnt zohnn lushun
Hinah fyrah Hrowan ayn ehn hindahn
Za Naal charhn yy lai fu soha Vauhn

Massel (the language of mazzelhs, yay!)
narrph'ka'ond-drrthon
drru-ond'thal-un'ad
rruno'drruzon-zoph'non
rrtho'hrrunol-drrad

Enjoy the gibberish here, and the gibberish to come.

• 50 Replies
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I know nothing about Danish, is it one of those pesky inflected like Greek?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@Xzeno:
I have no idea... Thus I link to Wikipedia. Go read about it.

@thoad:
Sure, it can fit under the 'and stuff'. ^^

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

The romans never got to Denmark, since it is up north, and they were a little afraid of the Germans. The language is based on German and a little Latin, but mainly German.
//Information nerd.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Fyhr/fyrah appears to be two different versions of be...

That's what it appeared to me, although if fyrah can be translated as become, then there's a slight difference although it's used for the same meaning.

If zz'gun is will, what is zohnn (line 2)?
Additionally, "that" is ayn? in the first verse and zaht? in the second.

It doesn't hurt to have more than one word for the same meaning. Languages are not exactly streamlined and it is this that makes a constructed language sound more "natural" or perhaps it assimilated words from another language.

It would be interesting to see more of Yaltan. I can't even make heads or tails of Massel.

I discovered it was lost when my best graded class had an assignment that started of with "in your own words" so I was going to use Al Bhed because it wouldn't bring my grade down very much.

"Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz." From one of the greatest comics there ever were. Shame if you don't know it.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

"That's what it appeared to me, although if fyrah can be translated as become, then there's a slight difference although it's used for the same meaning."
I'm pretty sure that is how I thought it. So yay.

"If zz'gun is will, what is zohnn (line 2)?
Additionally, "that" is ayn? in the first verse and zaht? in the second."

Zohnn is a different kind of word... >.> Ehm. Zzigun is will, as in intends to... Zohn (zohnn is in a different - case? I can't talk grammar in English...) is a more direct form, as in something is happening, only writing with a will... I'm not even making sense right now, am I?
Ayn refers to an action, whereas zaht refers to an object... No, wait... That's not true...... Zaht is the most commonly used version of that, ayn... It's more of an explaining tone?
Ehk! Blame my crossreferencing between Danish and English for the incomprehensability.

"It would be interesting to see more of Yaltan. I can't even make heads or tails of Massel."

I will mainly be posting Yaltan things. No one can make heads of Massel, and only the mazzelhs can make tails of it...

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

ok, here's my name in Al Bhed. I put the english letters under the Al Bhed print, so ya. . .there.
here it be:
http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/thoadthetoad/ahlbhed.jpg
P.S. yes, my name is Nolan, and I'm fond of that name. . Yes, I did base my RE fanfiction off of me. . .except for the athleticness ^^

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Nice letter~
Soon, I shall post some of my own~

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

stenciled in pencil, coated in GIMP. I can't write worth crud in GIMP Y_Y. Ah well, lol. I think I'll remake the Al Bhed language, change a couple of things, and then it shall be the nergyl language! muahahhaahahahaaa!

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Ayn refers to an action, whereas zaht refers to an object... No, wait... That's not true...... Zaht is the most commonly used version of that, ayn... It's more of an explaining tone?

Yeah, I know what you're trying to say about "that" but not sure what you're trying to say about "will".
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Lul, I forgot about this thread... O_o

@Gantic:
I'm having difficulties remembering my idea with the 'will' words. But I'm sure I had a good reason for making two different forms... Might be because I cross-translate with Danish.

Oh look, I did a brief overview thingy of the Yaltan letters. I'm not sure I have all of them on here, and I forgot to write the symbols (like ? and .)... It's also a bit sloppy because I have less control over my writing on the tablet, but it conveys the shapes.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Letteroverview.jpg

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Huh, I thought that was more likely to get comments than the plain writing. Oh well.

Xohne ehn lei
Hinah othot
Cehn xohn' yeshah
Z'yeashah agn ksot

Will continues later...

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

*looks around*
No attention/interest? That's okay, as long as you don't mind me resurrecting it for my own notes sake.

Ast prenal, ou fu horah
Hih cawhn tashist soa selwah
cawhn tashist soa uahn
Fuff nah mehrh mirah so ahn if z'arahn lai...
Lenta ruhrh tashist char so axe fu ma cawh.

Totally posting it because I can't remember what it translates to. I fail.
So leaving it here till I find my dictionary...

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Wow. I am so confused. xD

I tried to pronounce some of the "words" and it just sounded like a speech impaired guy with a heavy Asian accent. Hahaha. But it must have been hard to come up with all this.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

No attention/interest?

I was thinking the other way around.

After a few more posts perhaps, I could learn a bit more Yaltan.
raigeki
raigeki
704 posts
Nomad

is the massel language a real language or a made-up language?? it seems peculiar to me...

Showing 16-30 of 50