ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104829
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Our milky way galaxy consists of roughly 200 million stars, or there about. Now, let's look at the billions of galaxies in our universe. Life = common

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

our scientists have ways of analyzing projected masses of stars and planets they view... and ways of analyzing the distances from those planets tot their stars.

i would imagine that they have not looked at even a million stars, but from the ones that they ahve looked at I don't think there have been many that have indicated the required resources that are needed for life. there have been 1 or 2 instances where they have seen a planet as a potential life giving planet, but we wont know till we get there... or we start picking up their radio waves and watching alien tv.

Our milky way galaxy consists of roughly 200 million stars, or there about. Now, let's look at the billions of galaxies in our universe. Life = common

you cannot make such an assumption. if there was a confirmed second planet that could support life and was in fact doing so then your proposition would actually be very realistic. the probabilities of creating life do not follow the same guidelines as the probability of a mutation.

the potential for life to exist on another planet somewhere is undoubtedly high with all of the planets that exist. The actual commonality is unknown. commonality of life = unknown
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

you cannot make such an assumption. if there was a confirmed second planet that could support life and was in fact doing so then your proposition would actually be very realistic. the probabilities of creating life do not follow the same guidelines as the probability of a mutation.

This isn't MY assumption. It's the scientific community's assumption. Notice how I said life. I did not say intelligent life. A planet could support life, even if it's just bacteria. And bacteria can live in some of the harshest conditions that humans could never even attempt, nor is water the only source of life. In fact given the circumstances life could sprout from liquid nitrogen, or another liquid for that matter. So it is safe to assume life is common, whether we know it for sure or not.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

i would imagine that they have not looked at even a million stars, but from the ones that they ahve looked at I don't think there have been many that have indicated the required resources that are needed for life. there have been 1 or 2 instances where they have seen a planet as a potential life giving planet, but we wont know till we get there... or we start picking up their radio waves and watching alien tv.

Actually we've looked at quite a few stars. We have more than a million stars just here in our own galaxy. Furthermore, you talk about us only finding a few planets that could potentially support life, however you forget two key points.

1. We have barely scratched the surface of what is out there to be found, as the universe is so massive. It's like searching the entire ocean while looking through a straw, there is going to be much that is missed, and it is going to take a very long time to find everything.

2. Most people make the speculation about 'life supporting planets' based on our current ideas of life, and the current state of that planet. However planets are changing things, and what now may be a wasteland (like Mars) could likely have been much like our planet now.

Also, if life has evolved on another planet then it would stand to reason that it evolved to suit whatever conditions it found itself in. We cannot use the model of our one planet and use that as a standard judgment against which to measure every planet in existence.

Oh, you mean like the bacteria which came to use from Martian debris? That would technically be alien life.
Showing 691-694 of 697