ForumsWEPROne good thing

54 10657
Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

I was wondering if anyone could name one good thing that mankind has done for this planet? (Sorry if this comes up twice cause it posted the same question yesterday but it seems to have disappered)

• 54 Replies
Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

We are reintroducing radioactive material to the surface, and will mutate animals-- creating some interesting traits-- and will help the animals survive (or die ._.). The mutation might affect the DNA of plants as well creating traits that help them survive against us, thus recycling the greenhouse gases (I think they do).

Freaky4Life
Freaky4Life
15 posts
Nomad

Okay...I've come up with nothing....

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

It's probably going to be by some horrible "thing" that makes us all die. Like in I Am Legend... we all die so the planet regulates itself and goes back to normal. But, I would say the one good thing we've done to the planet is NOTHING! It was meant to be for us to be here, and we were obviously going to ruin it. We help the planet by trying to save it from ourselves. It was perfect from the start, but then we came along...

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

huh? of course we've done nothing good to the panet! humans are greedy, I mean, look how we treat ourselve fighting wars and stuff, if we can do that to other people, what makes you think mankind will giva any care to the planet they live on? I for one think global warn=ming will melt the poles and we'll all die cause there'll be too many people on the small landmasses left and then we'll all kill each other for water and food, I know this cause I thouht it out carefully when I did a report on it

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

First of all the definition of good is subjective when it comes down to details, but not so much in general.

Further, you ask, "some thing good for the planet"

So, this could be answered through aesthetics. We have brought art, higher intelligence, and new aspects of beauty to and from nature. This is just for starters. We have depicted the magnificent beauty of nature through art. I think that is a major contribution. We, as humans, are part of the planet. So something that is "good" that can only be understood by us also counts. I think, at least.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

nice, but in my view of 'good' it is ensuring that the species of earth live longer, right now, we've driven a lot animals endangered or exctinct, plus, our atmosphere is horrible in many places, i live in a 'bowl', all the pollution from every major city comes here, it's not really a pretty, healthy, sight if you ask me.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I thought that the thread is "[what is] one good thing that mankind has done for this planet?"

I dont consider life as part of the planet, but seeing as the planet and life are both made of the same bits of matter, I guess you can say... ah, nevermind. You can consider life as an offspring as the Earth, not really a part of it, as the planet consists of abiotic parts, not the living parts. So... beauty really is ONLY a concept imagined by mankind (and possibly other animals, but i'll discuss that later, possibly private) which was later directly represented by material and not really for the planet at all.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

We are from the planet, thus apart of it. Everything we do, conceptually or physically, can be judged as either bad or good.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I was beginning to say that, but discarded it too quickly. My mistake. I don't see how art and mere concepts of beauty benefit the Earth. (I make be striking too quickly as well)

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Just like the song goes..."We are the world..."

What's good for us can also be good for the world.

But you see, this is going deeper than the topic maker intended, I bet.

So for a more physical answer: It is possible that merely our entire existence on this planet (from start to finish) could benefit the world in some way. Maybe it will aid in some process to make it better? Who knows.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

This planet has no other basic purpose than to exist as a planet that could support life, and by the way I see things, art, thoughts, and concepts does not benefit the world this way.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

But a planet is the sum of its parts, just like we are. Everything on it or in it that is good within itself even things with intrinsic value are to be considered good for it.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

It is not helping the planet uphold it's purpose, though.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

(sorry for the double post o.o)

Things we consider good are not good for the planet, but good for our society.

Errm. I apologize, though. I see we have different definitions of a planet, and what you may think applies to your idea does not apply to mine. Different perspectives.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

(sorry or the triple post.)

I do understand you Asherlee. From your definition of a planet, we as humans are built of matter from the earth, are the earth, and things produced from us apply to earth, even the concepts and material from us that we consider beauty and good.

Showing 16-30 of 54