ForumsWEPROne good thing

54 10658
Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

I was wondering if anyone could name one good thing that mankind has done for this planet? (Sorry if this comes up twice cause it posted the same question yesterday but it seems to have disappered)

• 54 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

But you see the question asks for what is good. It's all semantics.

He didn't ask what do we do that benefits the planet's ecosystem, atmosphere, etc.

So, I will again provide my opinion for both scenarios.

1. The interpretation of nature turned in to art producing beauty has intrinsic value.
2. Humans are replenishing the earth in many ways. For example, The Gallo family buys land for their vineyards, but for every acre they buy another to planet trees or help wildlife. This is done in all the wine valleys.
3. We can clone just about anything now-a-days, which could be beneficial to the planet. Let's say an ecosystem on a remote island (no human contact) is failing for whatever reason. We can use cloning to bring balance.

The_B_Man
The_B_Man
75 posts
Nomad

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS!! We have made a suitable habitat for ourselves whitch some other advanced animal would have done in the first place e.g:a bog monster would make the world into a giant marsh or a desert monster would make everything sandy but we just got there first and started building a civilisation that is killing the earth in a defferent way(global warming)where as a bog monster race would be killing it by drowning all land animals.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I guess we do some nice things for the planet, which answers the topic question, but we are still ruining it far faster.

Beauty is a concept (which I think) comes from a person's connection between a material and familiarity. Although color might be a factor, an image may produce certain emotions that link to a person's experiences, feelings of happiness, and the person would be able to recall certain feelings by that image. The image would have already been conditioned by the person's memories or past habits to feel joyful because something similar in the past was relative to the joyful feeling (like the guy as a baby would like the color blue because his room was blue and his mother came often). Its an individual feeling, as people have unique "tastes" which would be shaped by experience. What I am saying is, the concept of beauty has no direct connection to the planet as it is a complex thought for an individual.

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

Well Asherlee by Planet i meant the animals and plants the live on it not including us. Also what you said about the vineyards. I bet the Gallo family use pesticides on their vines which would kill many bugs thus bring in balance to the food chain.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Noooo pesticide. We are talking about wine grapes here...

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Wine grapes use organic sulfur to kill of rogue yeast strains and such. They do not go around spraying pesticides like other industries.

Asherlee, I see your point in the aesthetics we have created. But if the question originally asked "What have we done to benefit the planets ecosystem", what would be your reply?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Carlie, check a few posts up for my answer

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

But I would say that those were problems that we caused to begin with. Gallo wouldn't need to plant trees if they hadn't cleared the land to grow wine grapes. Cloning things to bring back populations is just trying to rectify the mistake we made in lowering them in the first place.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

We aren't responsible for all the endangered and extinct animals. Hence the remote island.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

True, not all of them are our faults. Many of them are however. I was under the impression that you were saying that we could bring back endangered populations on remote islands. Not that they necessarily originated from those remote islands.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Even though humans have done many "bad" things to the planet, it doesn't make the little things we do any less "good."

And who knows, maybe our entire existence will benefit the planet later on. Perhaps it sped up the cycle of the earth which might have been needed. I mean who knows! That is hypothetical, by the way, before all you technicality freaks jump out of the wall.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

True true true. I mean, the planet does go into natural cycles, like it is now. Just not so quickly. But it would have eventually gone into another global warming. The earth is based on a huge conglomerate of cycles.

The_B_Man
The_B_Man
75 posts
Nomad

Well one thing good we have done hmm.....oh managed to make it sustanable for our life!!!

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Errm. The human race was always able to survive...

Axel
Axel
475 posts
Nomad

Nothing.

Showing 31-45 of 54