ForumsPopular MediaBattle of the Bands: Locked due to inactivity. (Page ...)

4275 2399693
XxLBJames23xX
XxLBJames23xX
769 posts
Peasant

This thread while hold competitions to see which band AG likes the most. You vote on which of the following band is better and why. Then, I will add all of the votes and see which band is better.

RULES
1.You can only vote one time
2.Do not spam (duh).
3.Do not complain if the band you want to win loses

Please keep this clean and I will try to pick bands that people know of.

The first battle will be between....
Kiss and Aerosmith

• 4,275 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Erm... AC/DC are slightly better is suppose.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Is there any question? AC/DC epitomize the genre.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Should change the thread name now.

Normally I would vote for AC/DC, but I have a feeling they'll win anyways, so I'll just vote for Airborne because underdogs are awesome.

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

Airbourne sounds like a more fun version of AC/DC. I've only heard of this band as of today, but I like fun, so I'll vote for Airbourne.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

AC/DC is always a classic standby for rock, but personally I prefer Airbourne because they sound like some of my favorite hair metal bands, such as Ratt and the **** Yankees. There is some clear influence from AC/DC, but other than that it's a very different sound.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Thread title has been changed now @Ernie15! Sorry for the delay... =)

My personal vote goes to Airbourne! They found a way to spin the classic rock sound of legendary bands such as AC/DC into a more fun uptempo ballbreaking sound, without losing the rawness of their predecessors in Rock music! Rock music is back! Not in black, but blackjack! =D

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Right, @Ernie15 has said it's fine for me to take over this thread for the time being.

Alternative rock has many styles. Here are two of the best:

Pixies
http://4ad.com/uploads/artists/custom/107.jpg

Debaser
Velouria
Where is my mind?
Magdalena 318
Gigantic

VS

Nirvana
http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/uploads/2013/10/nirvana-hammersmith1990-630x549.jpg

Smells like Teen Spirit
In Bloom
Come as you are
Lithium
Something in the way

boppins
boppins
774 posts
Bard

Alternative Rock, as it is known with bands like Nirvana, just started to become on its own while I was in high school.. the first alternative rock radio station opened (and eventually died) during my HS years. I listened to it on the bus on the way to school every day and eventually in my own car

That being said.. They must not have played Pixies much, because the only memorable song in that selection is "Where is my mind?". Whereas I instantly recognize all the Nirvana songs. Listening to the Pixies songs is quite difficult and I don't like any of the other ones. I think this type of music is something that you have to experience along with emotional periods to actually enjoy, and nostalgia about later.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Never cared much for Nirvana, but one band I've never liked at all is the Pixies. I did not hear them until I was an adult, but my ex-wife liked them and would play their music sometimes. I got a lot of use out of my Walkman back then.

Nirvana is the one I dislike less, so I will vote like teen spirit.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

I am not a fan of either of the bands to be honest... I dislike the fact that Nirvana has been hyped at the top of the grunge era, especially the suicide factor that boosted them even higher... not to mention the whole aftermath with Courtney riding along that wave of popularity from Curt's suicide. Ugh... the only good thing that came from Nirvana is a bashing loveable artist who put his foot down in music with a variety of bands and songs along with it: Dave Grohl!

The Pixies are a band that makes chaotic, bizarre, weird music that never stuck in my mind... I've heard quite a few songs by them, but they never made me enthusiastic about any of them. It's just one of those bands that never found its way into my music collection, not even for the sake of collecting everything.

So, for the sake of having to decide who to vote for... I will choose Nirvana, simply because of that über-drummer Dave Grohl and several songs I could enjoy at the right moment, at the right time! =)

Let's hope my GF won't read this, EVER!! Because she would kick me out of the house instantly!!!
(oO)

jeff2241
jeff2241
120 posts
Nomad

The Pixies are a band that makes chaotic, bizarre, weird music that never stuck in my mind...

i agree with this statement. i can actually listen to nirvana. so nirvana.
gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

I share the opinion with @DrElmer and @MrDayCee that I don't really like either of these bands. Nirvana is too depressing for me, and I don't even know what the Pixies are trying to do. However, I do like the song "Where Is My Mind" so I will vote for the Pixies.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

One thing you're going to need to remember to do when you start a new round is tally up the votes from the previous round so we know who the winner is.

AC/DC - 3
Airbourne - 4

For the previous round, I've done it for you. Airbourne wins. For the rounds you've started, you'll have to do this yourself when you post the new battle. You'll also want to be wary of thin reasoning, which most commonly takes the form of a vote without an explanation. Those are usually easy to spot, but you'll have to use your best judgment so as to not overlook details (Unleashed's vote on page 423 was saved by the implication from his quote as an explanation).

"I like X band's music better" is usually a valid explanation for a vote. "X band is better" may not always be.

I'll leave it to you to determine which band @boppins voted for.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

+1 upvote for @Ernie15! =)

To add to this all... if the battle is tied, try to leave it open a while longer to get a winning vote before closing it and moving on. Unless this takes way to long of course...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Pixies were one of the bands I grew up to thanks to my mom. This band is pure bliss and the style is original and enjoyable. The vocals, which if you say you don't hear them and want to shout along with him you are nothing but a dirty liar...the bass which goes about the simple but catchy style...guitars that stick in your head...and a groovy drum line.

Not to mention that this band did better things for music than Nirvana. Pixies are a foundation band for Alt-rock...a style which grows still today. Nirvana were merely headliners for grunge rock, a style that died out faster than Nirvana sold out.

Showing 4126-4140 of 4275