ForumsPopular MediaBattle of the Bands: Locked due to inactivity. (Page ...)

4275 2392558
XxLBJames23xX
XxLBJames23xX
769 posts
Peasant

This thread while hold competitions to see which band AG likes the most. You vote on which of the following band is better and why. Then, I will add all of the votes and see which band is better.

RULES
1.You can only vote one time
2.Do not spam (duh).
3.Do not complain if the band you want to win loses

Please keep this clean and I will try to pick bands that people know of.

The first battle will be between....
Kiss and Aerosmith

• 4,275 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

This has run for a long time, and I think it may be time for a new one.

Pixies - 3
Nirvana - 4
Grunge wins out over Alt-Rock

Heading closer to the present from the last battle, the end of Grunge spawned many new musical styles. Two bands formed in this time are:

Queens of the Stone Age
http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2013/06/03/049e45b0-cb92-4055-b7b0-a25cc8e5759enews.ap.org_r620x349.jpg?75d51d0aea2efce5189afce216053cbc530c46a8
No-one Knows
My God is the Sun
Little Sister
The lost art of keeping a Secret
3's & 7's

Foo Fighters
http://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/screen-shot-2014-05-15-at-10-36-12-am.png?w=807
Everlong
Learn to Fly
Times like these
Best of you
Long road to Ruin

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Listen to Songs for the Deaf by QotSA
/thread

Arm_Candy
Arm_Candy
716 posts
Bard

I like the Queens better. More upbeat and fun to listen to.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

It's true that both bands have their good qualities, but I will give the Queens of the Stone Age my vote because I really like their guitar sound and what they do with it! It reminds me of a more twisted, modern version of the Kinks' sound! =)

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

The Foo Fighters are a band I've listened to very infrequently since they came out, but I like "Times Like These" and "Best Of You" and they've been on various playlists of mine for years, so that's the band I vote for. Never got into QotSA.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

From Kyuss rose Queens.

From Nirvana rose Foos.

I could never choose.

sonicfan101
sonicfan101
5 posts
Nomad

For me its Foo Fighters because I always loved listening to Everlong. I like Queens Of The Stone Age because they are very upbeat. But for me its Foo Fighters

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I have always (sort of) liked the Queens of the Stone Age (a little bit) because they have a tinge of classic rock in their sound. "No One Knows" and "Little Sister" are some good examples (I never bothered to keep track of the names of their songs when they were popular).

There isn't much about the Foo Fighters I like, but that's more because of the genres they fall under than just the band itself. I have very little interest in alternative rock to begin with, but I particularly dislike grunge, and there's a noticeable influence of that in the Foo Fighters' music.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

The Foos had some grunge influence in their first album (but it was also largely a punk album!), and a song here or there in their second. That's really 'bout it. The main reason why the first was so grungy is because it was 95 and that's what everyone played, and also because Dave wrote all of the music on it.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'd like to add that the good majority of their singles (90% or so) have little to no grunge influence. They have pretty much followed trends and have put out pretty standard fair rock. Sooooo yeah.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I never listened much to Foo Fighters.. they are not really the most famous band around here. But they don't seem to captivate me, really.

Queens of the Stone Age however do, even though they needed some getting used to. But I really like some of their songs, the album Songs for the Deaf is a great CD! So they get my vote.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Queens destroyed the Foos so I think this can be updated.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I'd like to add that the good majority of their singles (90% or so) have little to no grunge influence.

You'll have to provide me with some links. I'm not an expert in the field of rock, especially after 1990, so I may be confusing grunge with one of the other depressing rock variants that stemmed from that general era.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

All of the Foos' songs.

When you consider that their first album wasn't released until '95, there really wasn't much room for grunge in the first place.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Queens of The Stone Age win 5 votes to 3.

Britpop was a style of music prevalent in the UK in the 1990s, inspired by Guitar Pop of the 60s and 70s, and part of the culture known as Cool Britannia. It is, essentially, the Alt-Rock anti-grunge. The style was epitomised by the chart rivalry of two bands:

Oasis

http://www.clashmusic.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_feature/public/legacy/files/images/Oasis.jpg.jpg

Don't Look Back in Anger
Wonderwall
She's Electric
Shakermaker
Rock n Roll Star

VS

Blur

http://quietus_production.s3.amazonaws.com/images/articles/8056/blur_old_1329915788_crop_550x400.jpg

Girls and Boys
Parklife
Song 2
End of a Century
Tracy Jacks

Now that you have kindly indulged my love of Alt-Rock, I'd like your suggestions for the next battle. I was considering maybe some Motown?

Showing 4141-4155 of 4275