ForumsWEPRYear 2036, Apophis!

50 12209
DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

I don't know much about this, but anways, I'll do my best to make a sweet topic/subject/thingy

NASA discovered a Meteor headding towards the Earth, and they calculated it would hit it in year 2036.
Check out www.YouTube.com and shearch: 2036
Anyways, I heard they called the Meteor "Apophis"
And I heard it will wipe out the whole planet and kill all lifeforms etc, etc.

What do you think will happen?
Will NASA clean this mess up?
Will it miss the Earth?
Will it hit the Earth?
Is this just bullshit?

• 50 Replies
funky_monkey
funky_monkey
87 posts
Nomad

chock noris will save the day

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

WRONG!!!! CHUCK LEE will save the day 8D~

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

Chuck Whatever will sabe the world by explodeing it and we wont need to worry about Apophis

CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

rofl theres another comet hurling to earth again?
ok, science has been predicting the end of the world for years. there has been tons of meteor predictions, predicting the sun is going to die and/or crash into the earth, some new flu will wipe us all out, global warming, evil aliens with weapons coming to wipe us out... (ok, maybe not the last one) but still, considering all of the predictions that have ever been predicted, the earth should be destroyed by now. scientist who predicts these things are like wethermen, not always right. so, u can be a person who will live the rest of their life in fear in a bomb shelter or whatever, or u can live life to the fullest and think, "hit me if u dare, apophis!"

CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

and besides, how do we even know its a meteor? it could be the death star

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

I heard that too. I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!

P.S yes i think it will hit Earth and start a new age.

hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

Cheesy Freak has a point. There have been way too many predictions of the end of the world (the year 2000 was supposed to be, but of course maybe it was the beginning because bush got elected. 1984 was supposed to be as well), and how do we know Apophis is acctually a meteor?

jayelin
jayelin
16 posts
Nomad

This was on the History Channel a few weeks back. The meteor is supposedly one thing that could destroy almost all life. Along with a hypercane and mega tsunami. So a lot of things to look forward to in the future.

Cheeseman298
Cheeseman298
118 posts
Nomad

If this theory is correct then mnkind will be doomed. The only way to save us is by launching a giant missle to desytroy it. But still theres a 50% chance it will work. There are many flaws to this. First of all it could miss. Second, it would cost lots of money to create a missle big enough to destroy it. and third if it does it it will be blown into smaller fragments. If we are lucky, the fragments will miss, but most likly they will hit earth. I don't know how big it is, but if its 50 yards or smaller it will burn up in our atmosphere. If larger it will do minamum
damage. Never the less lets enjoy our lives before this happens. If it does happen.

Aids247
Aids247
58 posts
Nomad

it wont hit us...just watch

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

As has been pointed out previously, there is a 1 in 45,000 chance of the asteroid hitting Earth. I'm not about to get worried over chances that low.

Second, there is a wind in space. It's called solar wind, and it's what makes comets have a tail.

The idea behind painting it one color or another is that solar heating would cause the asteroid to vent gases (similar to how comets work) and would push the asteroid off course.

The solar sail has a few engineering problems, but the paint idea is pretty simple. Send a rocket in the direction of the asteroid, with a paintbomb for the warhead, and detonate it in the same way fuel-air explosives work.

Like I said, there chances of this happening are pretty low, and even if they did, there's lots of ways to solve the problem, so chill out

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

I doubt we will be hit, its more likely we will get hosed over by a gamma ray burst anyway, yet still either scenario is unlikely.

conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

Chances are nothing will happen...it sounds good by NASA that they think an asteroid will kill us all. Putting it logically, how far away must this meteor be to hit us in 2036? And there's billions of meteors out there. Sounds unlikely this will ever happen.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@conquer01: The asteroid has several orbits around the sun to go before it hits us; which explains the far off impact date. And there are billions of asteroids out there (it's only a meteor if it hits a planet), which is what makes figuring out a trajectory so difficult.

Of course it's unlikely, but winning the lottery is also unlikely. It still happens. That's why we should keep an eye out for these things.

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

who said our end wouldn't be before that day?? anything can happen..take things one at a time...let's say...4 years until just before the last day of the 4th year.

Showing 31-45 of 50