ForumsWEPRYear 2036, Apophis!

50 12215
DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

I don't know much about this, but anways, I'll do my best to make a sweet topic/subject/thingy

NASA discovered a Meteor headding towards the Earth, and they calculated it would hit it in year 2036.
Check out www.YouTube.com and shearch: 2036
Anyways, I heard they called the Meteor "Apophis"
And I heard it will wipe out the whole planet and kill all lifeforms etc, etc.

What do you think will happen?
Will NASA clean this mess up?
Will it miss the Earth?
Will it hit the Earth?
Is this just bullshit?

• 50 Replies
gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

Scientists are always saying the earth will be hit by a meteor or destroyed in some other way. However, nothing ever does, and I don't think this one will either.

Butters
Butters
918 posts
Nomad

I dont think that will happen

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Thats a pretty good chance that it might hit, actually. For something like destroying all of humanity, i think the chances are still way too high to risk anything. I heard it was the year 2028 or something, hmm maybe I don't remember correctly. Anyways, what we should do is just nudge it off its course a little and everything will be fine. Blowing it up would be completely stupid, we would get hailed with tons of smaller meteors like a shotgun blast. The sail is a good idea and having a rocket or something nudge it is also good. The sail would work because in space, if you have something very reflective (since their is almost no fluid resistance due to the lack of air) the radiation from the sun would bounce of the reflective sail, pushing it.

The thing is orbiting our sun, so even if we move it a little, it might run into us or get on course to hit us some other time. so we have to keep our eyes out.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

@Flipski

lol, by the time we can "keep our eyes out" for it, we'll be screwed over.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@Flipski
"Blowing it up would be completely stupid, we would get hailed with tons of smaller meteors like a shotgun blast."
Not really, first the surface area, will be greatly increased by destroying it, meaning that the amount of material removed as it goes down through the atmosphere will be greatly increased. Second, the shock-wave, the most dangerous part will be substantially reduced, less mass will hit at once and over a wider area, instead of one massive wallop all at once. 70% of the Earth is ocean, chances are the ocean will be hit, and with less shock-wave, less tsunami. It would also reduce terrestrial damage from the fireball and the kickback; the kickback (as I cannot remember what it is called) is when the meteor hits it ejects material back into the atmosphere, gravity pulls it back down and burns areas far away from the impact zone. However, other methods are preferable, blasting it with ICBMs would be only for a last minute emergency.

Showing 46-50 of 50