ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3068647
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Killersup would like to know who the judges definetly are before he votes for the winner chosing the theme or the judge.After finding out Killersup will review the person's previous choices for themes....if Killersup doesn't like them a"such as yolo summer" Then he will vote for the winner chosing the next theme.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Killersup would like to know who the judges definetly are before he votes for the winner chosing the theme or the judge.After finding out Killersup will review the person's previous choices for themes....if Killersup doesn't like them a"such as yolo summer" Then he will vote for the winner chosing the next theme.

Me, Emp, and dudeguy are the judges. YOLO summer was the only novelty theme, and we aren't doing one again.
shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

It was an a hard concept though, which is good.

Here is a compromise.

The winner chooses the theme with the judges' approval. That way, it will be more fair to everyone.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It was an a hard concept though

It wasn't. It was a theme you couldn't expect a lot of people to take seriously.
The winner chooses the theme with the judges' approval. That way, it will be more fair to everyone.

Sounds like a waste of time.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Sounds like a waste of time.

Agreed. The judge(s) spend enough time actually judging to also quibble over what the theme is going to be, after all, you know all of the judges will have various themes or at least genres that they prefer which is going to end up influencing the winners choice anyway.

And since Nicho rather eloquently covered all the problems I have with winners choosing the theme, I concur with him.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

How about we just compromise and let the mods decide? :3 Don't want more spats pulling this down.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

How about we just compromise and let the mods decide? :3 Don't want more spats pulling this down.

The mods decide what? The theme? The rule?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

The rule.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Can someone leave a comment on my profile explaining how everything currently works in this thread, and the problem, as well as where the disagreements are? I'll respond tomorrow with some suggestions and we'll figure out a system that works.

By the way, I won't help judge, just saying that now.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

You should go ahead and judge this weeks theme as normal.

I think a good place to start would be to brainstorm ideas that would satisfy everyone. It's understandable that allowing winners to pick a theme can lead to bias themes as well as lackluster judging. On the other hand, it is fun to reward winners, after all, it is a contest.

Try to figure something out in the next 4-7 days. If you want, you can create a separate thread to discuss what would make an appropriate prize for this thread (or if there should be a prize).

Originally, when a person won, they would post their poem in the comments of a particular user profile. The profile served as a sort of "archive" for all the winners. Eventually, as judging changed hands, the profiles ceased being used.

If you're looking for some sort of "reward", you can always create a profile for all the winners to post their winning poem in. It would sort of act like a hall of fame. Of course, it's only a suggestion.

Anyway, good luck figuring something out! I'll see you in roughly a week, give or take a few days!

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

The profile served as a sort of "archive" for all the winners.

I am making an excel thing for the whole history of the thread... Just saying.

So guys, any thoughts?

And thanks Nemo!
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I forgot, was the Haiku and Poetry user page the same? I miss those pages with huge bold letters haha. Merits galore.

Suggestion:

Keep the current rules Mav had. Occasionally let all users come together to choose a theme from a selection that the judges have decided on to allow flexibility. So the users have a greater choice but judges will still be held responsible.

Petition John or whoever's relevant to allow the implementation of a badge achievement in AG3 for winning a contest. Hopefully that will motivate users to revive these contests, and secondly draw non Forumers in as well since it's an unlockable badge. Of course this might need much more stringent judging since it becomes official and gives this *******ized unwanted thread more legitimacy from above. IF they even care.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Not a bad idea, although I think you may have some trouble convincing the admins to write in a badge for contest winning, then again you never know. I do like the idea of occasionally voting on a theme, is it just an obscure amount of time up to the judges' discretion or every few weeks?

shock457
shock457
708 posts
Shepherd

I have an alt account to place all the winning poems in, if I can do that.

Is it settled, or it is still being contradicted?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I was thinking more of a regular thing like once a month but I'm not sure.

Shock, we could just reopen those old accounts if their owners are still around. Not sure who managed them in the first place though.

Showing 4516-4530 of 5299