ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3071687
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Someone's poking around to have a job?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

That's two poem about steaks on the same page.
Just sayin...

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I wonder who's going to judge next time.

I am, silly.

Judging will be commencing shortly.

Tell me if I made a mistake.

You did. You were late, and as such I can't allow it entry to the judging. Sorry for the inconvenience.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

That's two poem about steaks on the same page.
Just sayin...

Yeah, when I read them they made me hungry enough I went downstairs and cooked some steak.
Judging will be commencing shortly.

Coo'.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Well, I can hardly wait for judging. I strolled through the entries, and as I former judge, I must say I would have already stripped my head of its hair by now.

Actually, I'm scared. I thought I had a particularly remarkable haiku entered, and when I look at them all, I feel like at least half of them could win over mine. It's been a few weaks since we've had submissions this good, wouldn't you agree Enter?

LivingToDie
LivingToDie
303 posts
Nomad

Guess I missed this themes contest, not that I had a good idea for anything.
My favorite one of them all is DoubleRainbowDudes, while my opinion doesn't matter, that is my opinion.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I wonder what EnterOrion means by "commencing shortly".

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

He means; possibly before Easter, if time abounds.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Well deary me, did I forget or get sidetracked? I did. Blame CT, it's not my fault I can't pay attention!

I'm just kidding of course. It will be up tomorrow, and if it isn't you might as well just kick me out of the judging position.

That's on the record, by the way.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

I'm lacing my boots...

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

I'm lacing my boots...

...... this is quite possibly the..... 2nd or the funniest thing ive seen on this forum.....hmm..
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Just to annoy you, I'm going to be a few minutes late. I'm human, and I must showcase this as I set the stage for the next theme.

Once again, if you wish a critique comment me on my profile yada yada yada.

The Bronze award goes to the unforgettable Frank! Enjoy your reward. You get seven cookies and a cake.

People yearn for them.
Their judgments become their own,
nourishing their sheep.

Is that a political aspect I see? If not, I still see one. False interpretations are fun. It offers a good sense of completion with an excellent punch line, something almost required in a Haiku. Excellent job, I expect such quality in the future.

The Silver award goes to the excellent HahiHa! Enjoy your eight cookies, three pies and multi-layered cake.

Wander through darkness
Frequenting the dead spirits
Madness is growing

It is difficult to capture a feeling inside such few lines, but the quality was easily high enough to satisfy my darker flavors. Excellent case of playing to the judge! Overall great Haiku.

The Diamond (because gold doesn't satisfy this gem) award goes the the amazing FallenSky! Excellent Haiku, much worthy of the seven cakes, three pies, forty two cookies and merit it will award to you.

In the sand near the
Pond, my fingers dance with grace;
Tracing tales as quills

As I said, absolute gem. Excellent diction, great flow, just an all around fantastic Haiku. Enjoy your glory, and the well deserved merit. I expect continued excellence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning next week, I will be implementing a new, more objective form of judging based upon a 100 point scale. Each line will be graded upon 33 points each. The categories are as such: Diction (10), flow (10), Relevance (10), and meaning with regards to the Haiku (3). In the event of a tie, the person with the most total points from previous contests wins.

So if Person A gets 92 points, Person B gets 90, and Person C gets 92, A and C must have a tie breaker. If A has 250 overall points and C has 300, C wins. The pecking order will go back to the first Haiku posted under this system, no further, so there is no unfair advantage. If person C posted his during the beginning, here in March, but A posted June 15th, the points will only be added from June 15th onwards.

Thank you for your compliance.

Your most honorable judge,
Orion

New theme: Fatal Error
Deadline: Next Sunday April 2nd (this is your deadline, not mine)
Judging: Anywhere from a day to a week afterwards.

Happy Haikuing!

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I honestly thought that mine would be ranked. O'well. There's always next time.
I'll try to whip something up for this theme.

And, congratulations Fallen!

LivingToDie
LivingToDie
303 posts
Nomad

Congrats on winning Fallen.
I'm gonna try and get something for this theme..

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Thanks a lot everyone, I was pretty glad about that Haiku. Everyone worked so hard though, it makes me feel a little bad. I was pretty sure rainbowdude had a chance at winning the merit this time around.

Showing 2911-2925 of 5299