ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3069539
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

OH MA GAHD, some trees
They're tall and it's kinda dark
Why is it smoky

You're about a week and a half late Superpickle!
superpickle
superpickle
689 posts
Peasant

Brilliance does not abide by the constrictions of time.
LOLS no-ones judged it yet so I thought meh why not

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

If I judge it, it'll just be top five. If anyone wants a critique that didn't recieve it, then they can message me on my profile.

Just to get this thing moving.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

It must be done.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I'll try and get it when I wake up, if I'm still getting bugged and someone else does it, oh well.

Don't worry, I feel with you. The Judge's Curse must be a heavy burden.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

The Judge's Curse must be a heavy burden.

Is the curse that something happens so they're unable to judge? That's what it seems like.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I'm getting sick of waiting myself, so if Mav doesn't get it up this weekend, I'll do it (this weekend). I've already started in case he doesn't.

jacksonghuntington
jacksonghuntington
347 posts
Nomad

You kknow what else is amazing? I myself have lost all internet connection because my wifi isnt responding. this has happened for 4 days... and still no judging? now isnt that something to worry about? now, im not angry, im just dissapointed

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

[I only released the Top 5 because the judging is long overdue, and we need to get moving again. If your Haiku did not place, and you would like to recieve a critique, message me your haiku and state that you would like a critique.

As Creator of the Haiku Contest, I have the authority (if not, lets all pretend that I do) to make new rules. Over the past few weeks, many (myself included) have commented about the judging, or lack there of. So from now on, if your comment doesn't have anything to do with your haiku, or helping someone else's haiku, or to ask a clarification question, it is spam. I'll get a mod to delete the unwanted post.

TL;DR: Comments about the Judging are now spam; don't do them.

As the fog blinds me,
As I see the glimpse of light.
That is my way home.

This one is pretty good. It describes a nice scene, and turns a rather depressing topic into something that has hope. Having two lines that both start with 'As' is awkward to say outloud though. Keep it up.

4: Master565

The fog rolls over
The trees go on endlessly
The path home is gone

This one is pretty much the exact opposite of Acmeds. Where his finds a home, yours loses it. Could have used a little puntuation though. Good job.

3: Emperor Palpatine

A dense fog rolls in,
Obscuring what lies beyond,
Dare I go deeper?

This haiku was unique in the sense that it was the only one that gave off the impression of the author standing on the edge of the woods, rather than in the midst of the them. It ask a basic question, and pulls it off nicely. Good job.

2: Quirinus1

Ancient trees guard it,
those woods, dark mysterious.
Great evil lurks there...

When I read this, the first thing I thought of was the 'Mirkwood Forrest' from LotR. Rather than take a dark look at the picture, it rather makes it out to be evil. Middle line should have been capitlized if your other lines were, but still good job.

1: Graham

Shrouded in self-worth;
A true glimpse above detracts
from our own decay.

My favorite haiku of the bunch. This one was the only one that really went completely out of the physical, literal realm. Thats not easy to do, and the fact that you did it well really makes a good haiku. Congratulations, you win a merit.

Again, if you want a critique, message me your haiku and state that you want a critique.

The new theme is 'The Day Lily', and submissions will close on August 16. I will judge the next round, since I was originally schedueled to do so.

Happy Haiku'ing.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Reciprocation:
Their beauty fades and withers,
As night emerges.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Let's not create anymore posts that are strictly complaints, alright? If it's posting to tell everyone that you don't have the project but will have it later...it's this. Obviously, complaining about the judge not having the results up as soon as the entries are due. But I don't see a "judge's due date", do you? Look, just keep the complaints to yourself, and we won't call it something else, mmk?

And with that, let them haikus be rollin'.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

WOOHOO! TOP FIVE!
It seems that you enjoy lilys a bit. Hm... Let's see what I can do.

In My Hands

Beauteous flower.
In my hands hold the one key.
To you. My one love.

I admit, this one was week. Meh, I won't die trying.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

Congrats to everyone who placed. I don't think I'll mind "long" judging anymore, after this little incident. :P

O fragile lily...
Delicate, yet beautiful,
The fruit of the day.

Question: Would "fragile" count as 2 or 3 syllables? If it's actually 3 syllables, please let me know, so I can change it.

merind3
merind3
36 posts
Nomad

First time doing this...

Like it?

I know I dont like it
I know that you like it
So you can have it

That was fun..

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo