ForumsWEPRReligion's Creation

98 19452
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There are two really prominent faiths that are &quoticked on" by lots of people: Mormonism and Scientology. Many people believe that it's because these faiths present ridiculous arguments are ideals, but I would like to suggest an alternative.
With both of these faiths, people were able to watch the religion actually being created. We have enough evidence to show the motivations behind the creators and to understand why the religion itself advanced. All religion is really quite ridiculous when you look at it; is an evil space alien controlling the galaxy or Jesus appearing in America really that silly compared to a magical creature that doesn't have to follow physical laws but gets to physically interact with the universe?
Looking at these different religions at face value, they're all incredibly silly - we just have the ability to critically analyze recent faiths like Mormonism and Scientology. If people turned this critique inward, I think more people would realize how improbable and silly belief in a god is. Thoughts?

• 98 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

The Bible, along with a lot of things Christians take from it, were written by people of the Jewish faith. Just wanted to point that out.

The time lines of the Bible always seem muck up a lot of stuff. Other books, scientific notions and the people with those notions. Galileo for one. Him and others could of been killed for going against the church back in those days. And what kind of world would we been in if that did happen?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

It certainly seems that Religion has had a hand in holding back scientific discoveries, especially in the field of Astronomy. But in some ways, religion has facilitated certain thought and methods of discourse in philosophy. Because of religion's place in society, it became attacked along with the divine right of kings which led to great developments in ethics, social theory, politics, and theology.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Megamickel, I've read the Lost Scriptures you speak of, at least the ones that have been published. I noticed that they all contained story of Mary Mag. and positioning her in a good light. It also showed Peter in a bad light. Also, some of the scriptures I read were other accounts of Jesus and his childhood. I've said in another topic. Some of them are actually quite humorous. There is even one where he killed a kid for making fun of him.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^Yeah, I've read that last one. The entire account didn't make any sense, though. I dunno. But if you stay away from too much of the story of the Bible and simply take the message, you'll do alright in life, I think. God wanted us to read it, but he wanted more for us to understand it. With that understanding comes the realization that a great deal of it is metaphorical examples of how to live your life. One thing is clear, however - Jesus Christ did die and was reborn. You know, a lot of people ask why God isn't talking to people on a regular basis now like He did in the past, but the fact is that He does. There's just so many people that doubt religion that if you say anything, you're silenced as a lunatic. I've talked to God. He's replied to me. He is calling to all people - all you have to do is take your hands off your ears and LISTEN.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Does anyone really want me to list all the reasons why I find evolution not scientifically accurate? I really didn't want to get into it, as it would be an extremely long post. I didn't really want to type it all out because I am not trying to convince anyone to differ from their current beliefs, I am just participating in this conversation. However, I'm willing to do it to prove my point that I find the Bible to be more scientific than evolution (even though it is not meant to be a scientific textbook).

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^Just go ahead and post it. If you're going to bring up a point, bring up all the evidence you have to back it up or prepare to be ridiculed.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Please explain how you believe the Bible to be more scientific than evolution.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Yes, that would be a fantastic discussion - just don't mention entropy or I'll lose it... I mean really lose it. Although there is a Evolution vs. Creation thread somewhere around here.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

lol @ Moe

Though... Sting's next post may be a classical example of entropy.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Fine then, making me waste all this time typing... *grumble grumble* Sorry I took so long, I had to go back to work for awhile, but here we go:

1.) The question of life itself. Where did life come from? Evolution does not have an answer for this, nor does it pretend to. The fossil record is practically devoid of any way of forming a conclusion on this, and even evolutionists will disagree as to how it all started. Was it a 'big bang'? Some rocks colliding together with such colossal force, that life was 'somehow' formed? In reality, the likelihood of that happening is the equivalent of you going into a warehouse full of paper and ink, blowing it up, and having a dictionary plop out, completely intake and in order. This is not really a scientific point to disprove evolution, but merely a way to show that it is not a scientific law. We cannot preform spontaneous generation, or come even close to it; scientifically, we would have to prove spontaneous generation to make evolution a scientific law, but we cannot, so it is merely a hypothesis.

2. Why are there no transitional forms? Again, this is not a real way to disprove evolution, just a fact I find increasingly curious as time goes on. In all the decades of digging, and in every country in the world, we have failed to find one transitional fossil. I will be fair, they could still be out there, but why have we not found any yet?

3. Where are these so called 'cavemen'? The earliest traces of man as far as records go is of a simple but nonetheless civilized culture. The Egyptians, without any real technology at all, were able to build pyramids, but yet current civilization, with all of our machines, are unable to reconstruct a single pyramid. And the Neanderthal man? Fossils show that they were more muscular than current-day humans, and had larger brain capacity. So if you believe we evolved from them, you also believe in de-evolution. The idea that man has developed from a bestial state of savagery is based upon theory alone, and upon a theory that is diametrically opposed to every fact thus far discovered.

4. The co-existance of all types, another barricade. Supposedly, first came little blobs, then fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, then mammals. So why does the fossil record show all animals existing at the same time? As a matter of fact, if anything the fossil record is against evolution.

5. The pure impossibilty of transitional forms. Any evolutionist will agree that a bat must have evolved from some sort of rat, mouse, shrew, etc, correct? However, a bat's wings are not actually wings, but extremely elongated fingers, with webs of skin in between them. Now, in order for a shew-like creature to get such long fingers, which would supposedly have taken millions of years, they would have lost their ability to grasp, run, or dig, making it extremely vulnerable to predators, before they could have gained the ability to fly. So, for those millions of years, predators just 'took it easy' on the little rat-like creatures? Not according to survival of the fittest. Another good example is the amphibian/reptile egg. Supposedly amphibians evolved into reptiles, but there is no way to gradually change an amphibian egg into a reptile egg that would allow the developing embryo to survive the gestation period. This poses an extreme barrior to evolution - if a creature cannot produce offspring, it cannot evolve. If you still want more proof of this kind, do research on the respiratory system of a bird, which would be impossible to gradually evolve into.

6. What is the Cambrian explosion? Evolutionists believe that plants and animals evolved from simple, single-celled creatures, so there should be a gradual-progression of simple-celled creatures to more advanced creatures. But the fossil record contains no such progression. Instead there is an extreme sudden outburst of life in the Cambrian rocks, showing no evidence of evolution. However, the Biblical account of the flood would perfectly describe this sudden outburst of fossils.

7. Why are there only 'ure apes' or 'ure humans' around today? Where are the in-between creatures that are still evolving into humans? Did those monkeys just decide, "Well, there are too many humans in this world, let's stop evolving." On a second thought, why are there no other in-between creatures of other species, like reptile-birds or fish-amphibians? I guess they all just found it best to stop evolving... what, how does that work?

Well, you asked for it, here it is. This is not to try and convince anyone of anything, just the reasons why I believe evolution is not true, and in no way in this post am I explaining why I believe the Bible is correct.

quillandsaber
quillandsaber
35 posts
Peasant

Humans, due to their nature, don't deal very well with the unknown or unexplained. Religion was created to explain what logic could not. Ancient cultures attributed the Sun to a supernatural being because there was no way they could know it was a big ball of extraordinarily hot gasses. Even today, there are some things that logic can't explain to satisfaction. That's what religion does for people.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

That is NOT what religion does for people. Its something completely more than showing the possibility of how man came to be. It teaches the simple man on how to live an act in the world, so don't demean it as something as little as your everyday handy textbook about how we came to be.

Also, anything, due to its nature can't deal with the uknown or unexplained, as of course it isn't in its nature.

Onwards, Your talking about idol-worshippers. But, those aren't the only types of religions. Acctually, i don't think there are any idol-worshipping religions left. [Besides Hinduism, but they believe that they are praying to the soul of the god that the idol describes]

If, religion was created to explain what logic could not, then how come when logic came to be in the simplest forms, religions weren't abandoned? Because, even at the time of prophets coming and leaving, people had a good understanding of what water was, what rocks were. Idol worshipping was very small [exclude the romans] in the areas where religions such as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism finally matured. [As in, less sects, unity, acctuall accurate differences]. If, at that point in time, somethings that didn't go along with human logic [Do whatever it takes to survive, after all thats human logic]. I'm pretty sure back then people with the ability to murder, steal, and more could have but didn't. Now, either something influenced their lives and showed them the path they were to share and follow -... Or... Er..., not sure. xP
Religion wasn't this big of a change with science before. As usually new-found discoveries had nothing to disprove with religion, only that humans were making stuff out of the wonders god has given us. If we knew that the sun WAS a ball of extrasuper gases, then all we know is that its something god has showed us. But then we fall into finding fossils, and we figured that Dino's probably lived before us. which, of course is possible -- as for one a "Day" for god can't be defined, and so you never know, from day 3-9 Dino's could have roamed.[Christianity] Again, Gods simple creation. Also, all religion says that god has dominion over all life. Therefor, he probably had power over dinos. Its not up to us to question him. Never was never will be. But now we get evolution from GUESSES, and because of the long time theres no personal account or proof besides the fact of what you read in these books. To some, things like the bible and koran and torah are so inspiring it seems like the perfect choice. Not to others.
All evolution shows is that we evolved from Ape-Man, no god included. Yet, If Religion shows some truths today, has some proof and popular support, if it defines the concept of life and how you should live it.
With the 2 descriptions, I seem to get something out of them. You speak about logic.

Evolution is guesses, supported by other guesses in scientific fact.

If Religion defines how to live life, is supported for a reason, and shows truths discovered before its making. It seems "LOGICAL" to pick the second option.
I might, if I have the time make a list like sting. Just, on the opposite fact.

[I am NOT using the idea that more people follow religion, I am saying that for anyone to follow anything there must be a reason.]

Am done here. >.>

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Holy Junkers I rambled! O.o. Sorry, If I made my text too long. [No edit button to delete. >.>]

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

Well everyone has had VERY GOOD examples on how it was created. I of course think there is a bit of both. (creationism and evolution.)

Creationism- Of course everything started as a one celled organism and grew. Someone had to create the one celled organisms. They don't just pop up. I am also a very religious person, and I believe in ALMOST everything in the bible.

Evolution-All organisms evolved from things that came before it. There are fossils to prove it. On the Adam and Eve thing. I think that story SYMBOLIZES how God created the world. I believe that he didn't actually create man, the universe and animals just like that. I think that story was used to say that he created the one celled organisms that eventually evolved. For the universe being created, God did not just create all of the planets. He made the stars and rock, which exploded because of the stars. (Big Bang theory) This was the actual creation of the Earth. Of course I'm a huge Astronomy nerd so I just want to say this. Because of the Big Bang, the universe is expanding. It will reach it's limit and start to constrict, which will make another "Big Bang" After this "Big Bang" I think God will have something else stored for life.

Sorry to go off topic, but I just wanted to say that since I mentioned the "Big Bang Theory"

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, Its prominent to say that Adam and Eve were the first evolutions, just, if they were, how come they were in heaven?

It doesn't stuff into the fact that we grew out of apes, because then the first "Human" can't be defined. >.>
Yeah, Another thing, I've read in the koran that the universe was once imploded, and.. you go into the whole boom thing.

So far, its hard to symbolize everything. I mean, after all, If adam was considered the first messenger and man from god, He is not part of a story. His story symbolizes what he did.

In my better judgement, I doubt we'll ever find out. As evolutionism doesn't seem to prove anything.

My biggest question is, at the speed of evolving, usually, animals adapt to their enviorment. The Human, on the other hand, has not only learned to adapt to the enviorment but to learn from the enviorment and change it. Which leaves evolutions "Survival of the Fittest story". If humans seek answers, and humans create, then how come we are the only beings to do so? If we came from simple-minded apes, who may have few emotions, likings, and such. I doubt Apes are all that smart, a parrot that learns a bit of math would never have done it on its own. It seems that we are one of a kind, now, I don't know if it was coincidence but it seems that we've been born by something with power. I dont' think evolving out into from simple minded ape to complex human is possible. It doesn't fit. BUT, if you ever find a monkey thats built its own shelter growing bananas outside. Just call me. XP

Showing 61-75 of 98