ForumsSupport ForumDEMERITS

37 7547
ikillnerds
ikillnerds
256 posts
Nomad

i have a great idea! and it will some what stop spam! ok you have like a warning lv. once your warning lv reaches 5 you get a demerit. any mod can demerit, so any spamers would get demerits fast and edventualy they would stop. demerits could lower your AP by 10 OR if you have a merit, then it takes it away!
tell me what yah think!

• 37 Replies
QBalltheQ
QBalltheQ
12 posts
Nomad

In my opinion, this would be a great addition, at least it may help with those people who make 2 word reviews. But I feel that 10 AP is a bit steep, considering that it's 5 times the value. About 5, perhaps?

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Hey QBalltheQ, I think that Demerits would be more for people that do very extensive spamming, not just a 2 word response on a game. Also, I think that 10 is a perfect amount especially since it's extensive spammers. Actually I think that 10 might be too little, but we'll just see what happens.

ikillnerds
ikillnerds
256 posts
Nomad

yep only time will tell if my idea will go through or not. but if it doesnt it was a cool idea and thx everyone for supporting it! =]

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Um...spammers tend to lose a good deal of points anyways.

If comments/posts they posted are deleted, they lose all points they gained from them. So a spammer actually can have a lot more to lose than just 10 AP.

The easiest way, in my opinion, is warn them a couple times while deleting all of their spam. Then the next step is just a ban. Easy, and no more code needed to be made.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

That would be easier, but if they have demerits, then people will know that they are a spammer. So, they won't get associated with them.

Avrilicious
Avrilicious
525 posts
Peasant

I love that idea!That would be a great thing for the site.We would get less spammers(hopefully) from that.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I'm not exactly sure if it would lessen the amount of spammers, but we would know who they are.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

yeah it is kinda like a big red flashing signal saying THIS PERSON HAS A BAD REPUTATION. Also maybe another idea is that if a person gets 2 merits than it takes away a demerit

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I'm pretty sure someone said before that rarely do spammers have merits, but if they decide to change, then it would be a good idea.

EvilCarrotInc
EvilCarrotInc
2 posts
Nomad

good

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

@XCoheedX

Yeah thats kinda what i was aiming for, i didn't have enough time to explain... What i kinda meant was if a spammer decided to change and has a demerit then if they get 2 merits or so, then it kinda proves that they want to change, so instead of the merit giving them armor points, it counts toward taking away the merit... I know it would be rare, but it might happen

@EvilCarrotinc

One word posts are considered spam. If you want say that its good, please at least say why you think it is good

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Right now the way it stands is that (theoretically) a person gets 1 warning and the spam posts are deleted. If the person continues unabated, then they risk losing all the points they have made from comments. After the third warning the person risks getting banned.
One reason I really like this system is because people who just keep spamming really should lose all their comments because a) they obviously don't know or don't care about the rules, and b) it saves us the time of having to find their spam and delete it.
What I've found is that generally people who spam do so quite purposefully just to annoy people and they usually end up getting banned, making another account, and doing it again.
The demerits thing would work great if there were some way to force people to have only one account, though. And slapping that on someone's profile would be a rather satisfying thud

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

YES! FINALLY! a moderator has seen the demerits thread and agrees with it, i hope it gets approved soon

vindacation
vindacation
49 posts
Nomad

i dont really have much opinion...

The_Idea_Men
The_Idea_Men
102 posts
Nomad

i think its a fine idea, but i think its ineffective.

take the death penalty for instance. when youre committing a crime you're not thinking "Oh darn, hope they dont kill me for this."
you know youre doing something wrong; you do it anyhow and consequences follow.

people who are spamming either know what they're doing and therefore should deal with consequences. OR they'll be smart enough (most of them [hopefully]) to heed the warning they're given when they get called for spamming and then its a non issue with that now informed, law biding armor citizen.

so ultimately demerits are not a deterrent for spamming.

Showing 16-30 of 37