The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernThe Zombie Survival Club (READ OP)

518 106603
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Welcome, Veterans and newcomers! This is the reconstruction of The Zombie Survival Club.

First off, I'll introduce you to some of our staff.
-SkaterKidWhoPwns- This is the guy who is my 2nd in command. If you cannot get to me, go to him and he'll answer questions/comments/concerns.
...We have no other staff? Well then.

READ THE RULES. IF YOU DO NOT IT'S LIKELY YOU'RE NOT GETTING IN.
1. Do not ask "Can I join?" or any other variation of that comment. (instructions on how to join will come soon)
2. Do not make a "Scenario" (will be explained later) unless you are a member.
3. Don't be stupid, use logic and think as if you were in the actual situation. OF course it's unlikely that it will happen, but we ask that all visitors and members be serious and literate.
4. Do not question mod or my/skater's authority (unless a mod directly opposes it)
5. No overly smart-*ss comments against other members, visitors, or your superiors.
6. Do not make a Virus until you are a member. The sheet for making a virus will be given to you upon asking me or skater.
7. DO NOT. ABSOLUTELY NOT, ASK "CAN I JOIN?". I cannot stress this enough.

Now that all the rules are over with, I'll go over some Jargons (slang terms relating to "work&quot that we use here.

Scenario - This is a term we use for a situation that is meant to test the user (as well as give you something to do). These are non-linear, and are generally Hypotheticals. Any MEMBER can make a scenario. Scenarios are generally matched with a previous story/situation and they give the supplies you have on hand. As well as the supplies near you. There's also generally a map that goes with it.

Virus, Parasite, Infection - These are the general types of a zombie virus. If there is not a previous virus that is mentioned before a virus or a plan, it is automatically changed to the current dominant virus (Goliath). Goliath will be explained later in the OP.

Zed - Is the common nickname for Zombie. I.E. "Yo dude I just shot up some Zeds!" Or: "Gah! That d**n ZED bit me!"

Well that's it for the terminology! Here's the dominant virus. It's gone through plenty of tweaking, and I think it's pretty much the most realistic virus in the club (aside from hungers). If no other virus is specified before a Scenario or a plan, this is the virus to be used.
Name - Goliath Syndrome
Type - Parasite
Speed - Leisurely walking speed (2-4 MPH)
Sounds - A mild groan, much like a man/woman in pain. No screaming comes from the virus.
Infection - Infection comes from the cells. If so much as a skin cell gets into you, you'll be quickly infected (aprox. 10-160 minutes, depending on strength and immune system of the user). It contracts a lot like AIDS, but it can be ANY cell, be it secretion or meat.
Hunting - It hunts by smell and hearing. It can't see that well, but strong light in the dark will attract it. Best time to attack one is in the daytime. They can't see in detail but they can see blurry instances of light, I.E., a fire or a flashlight.
Other - Cannot swim. Cannot fly, cannot run, cannot climb.
Believability Factor - Goliath was made in a lab (Codename: Anthemia, which is a prototype of the virus. Can also be used for begginers). It hyper-evolved and infected a rat. THe rat got out and began to infect humans (as well as certain birds, causing the infection to be worldwide). What the parasite does is: It enters the body as an infected cell. From there, it infects all the other cells, coating them in a secretion that fends off any form of decomposer (In short, it makes the immune system of the host really powerful). Then, it randomly selects a cell in the body (it is generally a cell in the torso). It grows to about the size of a human heart. IT then crawls it's way into the brain. IT preforms a lobotomy and hooks into the brain, feeding it with a steady flow of required nutrients and oxygen. It shuts down all other systems besides the lungs and flushes out the blood in the body (the parasite provides the necessities for living brain), and spreads long, muscular tentacles across the zombie's body, becoming a puppeteer. The parasite feeds by slowly eating the host. IT'll take a couple of decades in order for the parasite to starve/suffocate.
Best ways to kill it - A shot to the head, killing either the parasite or the brain. A punctured lung will also kill it, but it'd take a couple of minutes for it to actually die.

How to become a member
First off, you need to make a plan. You have everything you would at home. IT would happen the moment you are typing up the answer. So if it happens at night, then it happened at night, happened at day, it happened at day. For the sake of not-cheating, we'll use AG time.
Then, you have to answer a Scenario. The Scenarios come every couple of pages.
Wait for Both the Plan and the Scenario to be graded. Each member has their own form of grading. Once it's been passed around me and Skater will figure out whether or not to let you in.
If you are not initially let in, do not be disheartened! You have unlimited tries to enter, and all members (should) give you tips to get a better plan.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why the hell am I doing this?
Reasons vary. Some people in the club do think the Zompocolypse would actually happen, and some people (like myself) do it for fun and practice for writing. Others do it because they just like killing and surviving zombies, while keeping it pretty realistic.

Can I make a Virus?
Sure, if you give me a comment on my page I'll be happy to give you the layout for the virus.

Can I Join?
Scroll up and read the OP. Do it.

Can I make a Scenario?
If you are a member, sure. Just make sure it's somewhat realistic. There are no real parameters for it, it just has to be a situation. Try and make it hard, too.

I think that's pretty much it! There are a couple of tiddly bits for you guys, though:
Titles/Ranks - A title or a "rank" will be given to you if you do something outstandingly awesome, stupid, weird, or just plain out there while still keeping it realistic. For a list of the ranks/titles, visit my page.
Members - A list of the members can be found on either my, or skater's page.
Discussion - Discussions will be held every now and again, as a stand-in for a Scenario. There will be a topic in BOLD (BOLD, MEMBERS) to let you know what the Discussion is about.
and that is pretty much it.
Now then, have fun everyone!

• 518 Replies
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

When team-mates come into play, things start to get complicated due to a wonderful invention of mankind. What could this wonderful invention possibly be? Simple. It's called Goverment, it's an *sshole, and no matter who chooses what government it is, it will almost always end up with a large portion of the group disliking it to some point.

BASICALLY, I'll give you guys a run down on what a ideal, small outpost would be like.

Economy - Likely a material trade. Any form of currency would likely be in the form of a token showing what work they've done in the field. I think we tossed around a few ideas before, but it would likely be some form of body part. Likely something that is easily kept and doesn't rot very well. I thought fingers (a la fallout 3). I still personally think so mething like a finger, or an ear, or an eye, or a toe, or some form of body part would be a good token of "Hey look, I killed a zombie. Now give me stuff."

So that would likely be the economy. As far as big decisions, I envision something along the lines of an Athenian Democracy. I'll go into that a little bit more in the next paragraph. Since the U.S.A. is a republican democracy (meaning that represenatives for the &quoteople" from each state would vote for the people based upon the general opinion of each state), it was built to sustain a large country with a lot of people in it. Most of the decisions are made from under 100 people. The only time that the people actually DO vote for a big event is the election of judges, governors, mayors, and other political points. We basically just vote for people to vote for us.

In an athenian democracy, it was built for the Athens city state which held about as much as your standard rural town. It was about 2k people (at the most, I think I'm overestimating myself here. I don't have my history book with me at the moment) in the city state, and most of them didn't have voting rights (most were slaves). Now because of this, the people of athens would essentially just gather up on a hill and discuss the decisions that were to be made. Since the ideal outpost is within 40-175 people (my own, at least. Any more and I'd just cry as the leader), this athenian assembly would be ideal for carrying out large decisions. Large decisions would include expansion, rescues, crops, etc. Voting would likely be much different (as in athenian assembly, you would simply SHOUT your vote), voting would be in the form of paper ballots and such. Of course corruption is possible (stuffing ballot boxes, etc.), but in any government corruption is possible.

That would be my favorite form of small civilization. But then agian, after playing shattered colonies, I know that I'm much better at keeping 3-7 people alive then I am at keeping 40-100 people alive.

BUT, I may have just thrown us way off topic. If I have, ignore everythign I have said. Now then, to give a mroe in-depth conversation towards strongbow and skater here.

As far as choice options for a new group, it's pretyt simple. I would probably take along anyone I possibly could, as long as our supply gain permits it. A body shield is not always a liability. The only thing I would need in a possible team-mate would be the honesty to show a bite. If in a small group with a sturdy location (I.E. one with a small government of 2-20 people), I'd set up a quarantine area for someone who gets bit. They'd get their last moments to see their family, and then be shot as the parasite is forming inside them (also known as the "OMIGAWD THE PAIN" screaming phase). That way it's humane, safe, and people are able to grieve.

Sadly, I'd probably be one of the last people to be chosen. I'm something of a softy, with very little combat experience (save for polearms and spears), I can't run that well, and I have an inherently loud voice. The only redeeming factor about myself is that I know what to do in most (if not all) urban survival situations. As long as the person I'm dealing with is a rational being. If they're insane, it's a matter of "OHNORUN" or "OHNOSHOOT".

And Goliaths are attracted to human pheramones and natural odor. Or, in other words, sweat. So it would be a good idea to keep yourself clean (and some deoderant) etc. in order to deter them from smelling you. However, when the water and other such things aren't working, it can probably be a bit difficult for you to be squeaky clean.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

As far as choice options for a new group, it's pretyt simple. I would probably take along anyone I possibly could, as long as our supply gain permits it

take along, or go along with? You can't just assume that people will come with you. Especially in your current state. Who ever is larger, and better equipped, is top dog. I don't care if I have the best base in the world, if an 8 foot, 400 pound tells me to give him what I have, and I have no gun, I'm gonna do what he says.

If you have a group it's easier to controll people, and get them to do what you want them to.

My self, I think I would be pretty set for a zombie invasion. I'm in shape right now (6'2 150 pounds) I can bench a 130, do 100 sit ups and push ups without stopping, I'm in fair decent shape, can run a few miles without stopping, and some other things. Mentally, I'm prepared, I don't have many frineds to begin with, and most of them would be gone before I had a chance to worry.

And Goliaths are attracted to human pheramones and natural odor. Or, in other words, sweat. So it would be a good idea to keep yourself clean (and some deoderant) etc. in order to deter them from smelling you. However, when the water and other such things aren't working, it can probably be a bit difficult for you to be squeaky clean.

See "Spray your self with so much ax you smell so bad nothing with half a mind would come next to you"
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

My current Materials:
Car Battery [4], 2 extra+2 from cars
Doubled Garbage Bag full of canned/nonperishable goods
1 gas container [half-full]
3 water bottles full of gas
Sharpened Lawnmower blade with rubber/foam grip (glued on duller end)
! small Luggage bag Clothing/toiletries
small tarp [2], fair condition
Flashlight
Digital Watch [solar-charged battery]
5 1-gallon jugs water
5 16-oz water bottles
-----------
Current Vehicle:
2006 ATV [with metal racks on front+back]
---------
Current Companions: Assumedly none

OK so for the sake of survival i escaped on my ATV...... First place i would go is to the forest preserve not too far away. Once i reach there, riding on the shoulder of the road (or grass/gravel area) to avoid any lurking zombies and the jammed streets, I would immediately find a good clearing and stake out the area to make sure i'm not about to walk into a massive horde of zombies, no matter how remote the area. Assumedly clear, I would look for a more secluded part of the clearing and park the ATV there. Cover it with a tarp, so that way the elements won't get to it overnight. As i would probably be more vulnerable overnight, i would take a short nap, using my Digital watch's alarm to wake me up.

Question: how likely is it a dog would ride on an ATV unless tied down???

Well i wish i could bring my dog, but for the lessened mobility+cons of bringing a dog, I won't.
Waking up hopefully intact, I would head for the Fishing Lake located near the forest preserve and go to the Marina. As the Forest would most likely shield the area from an increased zombie presence, i shouldn't have a problem with zombies here.
To protect myself from my fellow man, i find a depression in the ground not too far from the marina (still in the forest though), park the ATV here, remove the key+spark plug, and cover it with a tarp, then cover tarp with leaves, using medium-sized rocks to hold the tarp down. To mark where i put it, i scratch a few notches into nearby trees.

From there, with 3 water bottles, the lawnmower blade, and a few cans of food (in a plastic shopping bag), i would approach the Marina, looking for signs of life. If there is any uncalled for movement, i try to veer away from it, as a fellow survivor is not my purpose here. reaching the Marina, i would immediately begin searching the larger yachts/fishing boats, being EXTREMELY careful of floaters or hidden Zeds/humans. My priorities will be Flares, extra food or drink, Tourist maps of the area, Fishing equipment, and any rope, which should be in overabundant supply. finding any amount of these, i would immediately go to the Vending machines there and bust it open with the lawnmower blade, grabbing everything inside and putting in a doubled plastic shopping bag. I would assume there is a Restaurant or Bar nearby, so i would go there and grab a few bottles of Well-sealed alcoholic drink, as it won't really 'expire' as Soda or other drinks would, though it will make me thirsty. Also grab some food while i'm there. There would probably be a human presence there, so if there is anybody inside, don't bother with it, unless they appear highly organized or as do-gooders.

Then I would proceed out of the Marina, making my retreat with utmost haste. Looking for the ATV, which i deliberately didn't put too far away+marked location, I add the extra equipment onto the racks, using the ropes i found to secure it down with simple knots (nothing fancy, i won't claim to know something that i don't). Folding the tarp and adding it back on, I would refill on gas and check any maps i might have found for any nearby installments, which i would check before possibly looting. By now it is almosst night, and i would take a second short nap before putting the spark plug back in and driving back towards the road. Using the North Star as a guide, I would follow any side-roads or trails and start heading north for Wisconsin....

Will add more later, feedback appreciated

Nazoropaz
Nazoropaz
26 posts
Nomad

I didn't understand What you meant by plan, can you elaborate?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

if an 8 foot, 400 pound tells me to give him what I have, and I have no gun, I'm gonna do what he says.

Well that depends, how far away am I, what melee weapon do I have, and does he have an atheltic cup? It's all on how you use your weapon, instead of how big it is. It's been said many times, but it really isn't the size that matters. It's what you do with it.

As with any democracy, I'd make sure to get the input from people and see what we should do from there. It depends on what the leader does that decides if we (the group) should go or not. If there are deserters... well, there are deserters. But hopefully the group would know that staying in a secure, trusting group is the best option (rather than the larger, mroe powerful group as a whole).

See "Spray your self with so much ax you smell so bad nothing with half a mind would come next to you"

That could probably help for a little while. But no deoderant or axe I've ever put on lasted me a whole day. Only about an hour. Besides, Goliath has great hearing as well.

I like it, SirNoobaLot. The only thing I really need some more information on is wildlife. I assume that since it's a nature preserve there's a whole ecosystem of predators and prey. You'd be the human, which is the halfway point of predator and prey. So you should figure out some form of defense for wolves etc.

As for you, Nazoropaz, it's pretty simple. Look at SirNoobaLot's thing up there. Start off with a supply list (unneeded, but it would probably be a good idea in order to list the weight) And I also reccomend that you say how you'd store it.

Like sirnoobalot, I noticed that you had those gallon jugs (HEAVY) and teh bags of canned goods (HEAVY). If you store it MOSTLY in the ATV baskets, I would figure it okay. but you should probably still tell us how you would store the supplies, so that way we can be totally 100% sure that it's legit.

Here's an ad-lib if you still aren't sure what we're looking for.
-Where will you go? When will you go?
-Will you make any attempt to find survivors? If so, branch off your plan into 2 paths, the one where you find the desired amount of survivors, and one where you have NO survivors on your side.
-What are the dangers of your new home (be it a renovated outpost made into your home, or a new place entirely)? How will you deal with them?
-Zombies will likely start piling up in hordes bigger and bigger as time goes by. They will wander until they get into your area, and they group up whenever there are more. So in other words, when it's much farther in teh times of the apocalypse, the hordes will be much, MUCH bigger and therefore more dangerous. Most of our members set up a schedule of moving around. So what would you do to deal with this inevitable problem?

So if you are STILL unclear on what we want, I'd say that there's something in your eye because I can't simplify it any more without just giving you a plan (which I don't intend to do).
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

In regards to wildlife, i put the tarp on for that also. It would ward off certain predators, though nothing would probably stop a bear.

Well if a bear shows up, i'm quite SOL, then. I suppose i would crawl into the fetal position and act dead, hoping it goes away.

If not... then yes, i'm SOL.

And seeing that i don't have any goods (particularly perishable), Wolves and other scent-animals shouldn't quite be a problem, as the scent shouldn't be strong. Again, the tarp might ward off small scavengers like squirrels or raccoons from my supplies, but i possess nothing that could effectively ward off a bear or pack of wolves....

Plus, i'm not staying there that long, making the chances less ;D.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Would a dog stay on an ATV? Depends on your dog's size and disposition. My adivce is go out side and try it.

There is a lake a mile up the road here, trials all through it, and houses in the surronding area (as well as alot of life stock) I would be pretty well set, my biggest fear is my self. I tend to be a tad bit forgetfull, when it coems to locking doors, and grabbing things before I leave. So it is highly possible for me to leave to kill a cow, without a bullet in the gun.

Lathus
Lathus
115 posts
Nomad

Hey, guys, what's up? I'ts been, like, half a year since I last showed up. It's been a long time for me, I've changed alot. I lost weight, made real friends, got a girlfriend, and, hush hush, lost my virginity, but, on the inside, I'm still a zombie-nerd. I've got no way to channel that anymore. I haven't been on a computer for anything short of serious business for months. It's killing me. I really feel like I'm supposed to come back here. This is no place to tell sob stories, but I want you guys to know that I never meant any of arguments I had with a few of you in particular. I want you to know, that if you're only skimming this because you hate me, and wonder why I'm coming back at all, that I just wanted to talkto somebody back then. I've got people to talk to now, so if you guys allow me to have a second chance, I promise that I won't spam, frivolously argue, or insult people anymore. I'm aware of my actions, and I understand why they upset the order of things here a bit. So, please, accept my formal apology.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Starting an apology of with "Yea guys, I'm cool now I got some puss." Isn't advisable.

However, we would enjoy you around here lathus. Been empty here lately. (Though we did just start back up....)

rick073
rick073
2,754 posts
Peasant

here is my revised survival plan

materials at my home:
-9 water bottles(capacity varies)
-hardly used sleeping bag
-3 grocery bags of non-perishable goods
-about 20 new fishing hooks
-bbq lighter
-3 match boxes
-1 empty gas container(or maybe full if the car's still around then i could drain the car a bit)
-thick winter coat
-motercycle helmet
-shin pads
--------------------------------------------------------------------
weapons:
-2 chinese cleavers
-a crossbow(3 bolts)
-hatchet
transportation:
-my dads motercycle
team:
-none
first, i would board up the house and make it secure with wood planks from the garage. furniture against the windows would work as well. then, i would take the hatchet and a cleaver and go salvaging at the walmart super center and the superstore(as well as the esso and 7/11) for canned food and water, i would also be looking for some better weapons. if i see a zed, drive in the other direction. if i see a raider, RUN. once i have searched the two supermarkets, head home and set up some way to collect water. most likely i will set up some containers on the roof beneth some water runoffs.

once the materials around my home run out, take as much as i can(prioritizing of course) and head off to edmonton. once i reach red deer, salvage around the super markets there as well as a canadian tire store for food and weapons. then head off to edmonton.

ok thats all i can think of for now, tell me what needs work and ill revise it again(yes i know i havent put what i do when i get to edmonton yet)

rick073
rick073
2,754 posts
Peasant

oh sry to double post, but i just wanter to say i copied the format from sirnoobalot's survival plan. ONLY THE FORMAT.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

(Though we did just start back up....)

I know, that's some impecible timing right ther*.

I don't think I have any beef with you Lathus, as I don't really remember you all too much. Just don't cause any trouble and keep the posts to a hearty length of about 1 to 6 fully developed paragraphs and I think we'll be fine (certain exceptions witdthstanding).

As for Rick073's plan...

The only actual problem I have with your plan is that you're unspecific with a few different aspects. The first one being that you don't explain how you'd ration everything, and where you'd get your water. It's normally believed that the water will go out during the rioting as the zombies break out. Also, you didn't specify WHAT in particular you would prioritize.

*Things marked with asterisks are intended typos.
rick073
rick073
2,754 posts
Peasant

Also, you didn't specify WHAT in particular you would prioritize.

1. water
2. food
3. gas
4. weapons
5. anything else i can carry

The first one being that you don't explain how you'd ration everything, and where you'd get your water

ill ration everything to a minimum to conserve food(about 1-2ish cans of food a day and about 1-2L of water a day). as for the water, ill place a few large containers on the roof underneath some water runoffs to catch the rainwater
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

as for the water, ill place a few large containers on the roof underneath some water runoffs to catch the rainwater

Good idea, but unless you have squeaky-clean gutters, It will be filthy with leaf/dirt/dust debri, possibly mold, and other definetly dont-wants. If you have a tarp, then put it on the ground somewhere and weigh the center down with a rock, elevating the 4 corners to form a bowl-shape, and you have a cleaner alternative to catching the gutter run-off, though more than likely not nearly as much water as the gutter runoff.

oh sry to double post, but i just wanter to say i copied the format from sirnoobalot's survival plan. ONLY THE FORMAT.

;D!

Oh and i did have a sizeable 3-4 paragraphs typed up to continue my own survival plan, but sadly it all got deleted somehow (didn't bother to type it on word or wordpad, as i would get distracted doing something else :P )
TRUdog
TRUdog
1,031 posts
Nomad

I am a newcomer, I am posting a plan in hopes to join.
-------
Morning, Nov. 27
We, just moved from our home in town. Too bad, I need the supplies. I live in a neighborhood now, so there should be plenty of zombies coming my way.
There is a room upstairs with no windows, I think I'm going to camp up there.
I bring up food, and essential supplies to my camping spot. I board the doors as best I can, and jam a bed and a dresser to it.
I snag the shotgun my parents keep under there bed. Nothing special, but I guess it'll work. I grab a baseball bat, and duct tape a too it. A redneck spear. Oh yeah, thats how we do it, son.
I brace myself for the zombies. Ah... how I love the smell of brains in the morning. Bring on the zombies.

Showing 331-345 of 518