ForumsPopular MediaThe Book of Eli

36 7031
1,855 posts
Nomad

This is the most amazing movie EVER! Please, if you haven't seen it yet, GO TO THE MOVIE STORE AND GET IT! This thread was posted for people to make comments on the movie, AND to rate it out of 5 stars. Please make a comment so this thread isn't considered spam and locked, I just want to see who actually reads what the thread is about. If you haven't heard of the movie yet, it is about (as quoted on the back of the DVD)

Eli walks alone in post - apocalyptic America. He heads west along the highway of Death on a mission he doesn't fully understand but knows he must complete. In his backpack is the last copy of a book that could become the wellspring of a revived society. Or in the wrong hands, the hammer of a despot. Denzel Washington is Eli, who keeps his blade sharp and his survival instincts sharper as his quest thrusts him into a savage wasteland... and into explosive conflict with a resourceful warlord (Gary Oldman) set on possessing the book. "We walk by faith, not by sight," quotes Eli, under the taut direction of the Hughes Brothers (Menace ll Society), those words hit home with unexpected meaning and power.

It is rated R for some brutal violence (every good movie needs some) and language (they say the 'F' word like 5 times)

I'm not gonna say anymore about the movie, except that this is the greatest movie known to man.

My rating (out of five stars) *****/***** most definitely.

Shawn Edwards from Fox TV says "Denzel Washington is at the top of his game."

I say that this was an unbelievable movie, with great acting, intense battle scenes, and amazingly real situations.
  • 36 Replies
angryvegetarian
angryvegetarian
40 posts
Peasant

For some reason I re-watched this today and it was more enjoyable the second time around.

angryvegetarian
angryvegetarian
40 posts
Peasant

I mean that if the world was destroyed to that point, people would be like that. As in the raiders, and people would eat each other for food, stuff like that.

Have you seen The Road by any chance? The book is awesome, I read it right before finding out they were going to make it into a movie, so I had to wait for it to come out. I really liked it. I love post-apocalyptic movies.
snipershot325
snipershot325
844 posts
Nomad

i wanted to see in theatres ,it looked like a good movie!I think ill rent it! XD

1,855 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I rented it yesterday. I had to take it back today D: I watched it four times though haha

1,855 posts
Nomad

[quote...Also the girl with him is HOT.[/quote]

Oh yeah. Why did he turn her down when she was gonna have --- with him? That was the only bad part, hahaha

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

The point about the book is kind of redundant.. does he

SPOILER:

Doesn't he say that the Book is what probably caused the war, and I agree that Religion comes into war .. A lot.

The movie itself was okay.. though the religion part I didn't really like. Loved the action though. Don't get so carried away by a mediocre movie, it wasn't the best ever.. There have been way better movies then this one. The best thing was Denzel's Acting.

BlackIce131
BlackIce131
260 posts
Nomad

This looks like a pitiful excuse for a movie. On the surface, it looks cool, but closely looked at it is bound to be horrible.

HOLY FREAKING CRAP, i already hate this site, its name is rottentomatoes (wtf). This site gave Avatar an 83%, The Shawshank Redemption 88% which was voted the BEST MOVIE EVER , It gave The Godfather 100%, which was voted 2nd best movie ever. 2nd best movie higher rating than best?

Outburst completed

Movie critics are just that though, movie critics. Anyone who desides twhat movie to see based on &quotrofessional critics" is stupid. You get a better word from the common people. The list i mentioned above was made from votes from real people.
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

âThe book is a weapon!â

If there are two movies that deserved best picture last year, theyâre District 9 and this.

I love post-apocalyptic movies, especially ones like this where exactly what happened remains somewhat of a mystery even to the very end. They talk about the world before the âflash,â which brings nuclear warfare to mind, but itâs probably some variation of that. The United States has turned into one huge desert, with its cities in ruins, food and water hard to come by and intense heat following you wherever you go. The cinematography contributes so much in giving the movie this âlookâ which really makes you feel the desert as though you were in it.

The movie opens in a sort of toxic forest where the main character Eli has to wear a gas mask to keep from inhaling the ash. You never once hear the name Eli in the movie, but read it on a nametag in his bag which you presume belongs to him. The story is told so well and so many things are just subtly hinted at, and that makes a movie so much richer in my opinion. They donât tell you but show you, and you just have to figure it out. And that would make it fun to watch a second time.

This movie seems to take a Christian viewpoint, which makes it ironic that I would like it so much. But unlike other Christian-esque movies Iâve seen, this recognizes that Christianity has an evil side to it. It also recognizes that Christianity isnât the only religion. The âBook of Eliâ is the Bible, as becomes clear as soon as you can start putting the pieces together. But itâs the last bible on Earth, which makes it unimaginably valuable. Apparently Eli is being guided by âa voiceâ or something which is telling him to take the book westward and protect it at all cost, which he can do because of his machete fighting skills that may or may not have been granted by God (Iâm making it sound like religion is all over this movie, but really itâs very subtle and never thrown in your face). Anyway, the Gary Oldman character Carnegie wants to get his hands on the bible because âthe book is a weaponâ and can be used to control people.

Apparently all the bibles had been destroyed during the events leading up to the apocalypse. My brother pointed out to me that it would be impossible to destroy all the bibles in the world because itâs the most printed book in all of history. But maybe the bibles were destroyed by the same thing that destroyed everything else. Even though bibles may be the most common books, they still donât represent too large of a fraction of all books in general. Since itâs hard to find any books at all in this future world, it would make sense that bibles are scarce. Heck, forget books, itâs hard to find anything you want in this place.
The acting was really excellent. Denzel Washington was good as always, and Mila Kunis surprised us by not being just about looks like so many other young actresses. And Gary Oldman really outdid himself. He was so slimy. The part where he takes his ragtag team of thugs in armored vehicles down the road after Eli reminds me of the smokers in Waterworld or the mutants in Battle for Planet of the Apes, treacherous ruffians trying to take hold of the last few people on Earth and brutally killing anyone who gets in their way. Tom Waits also makes an appearance, much to my enjoyment.

I often complain about movies that reveal some big twist at the end that doesnât make sense when you really look at it. They ensure that the audience could never guess it by making it totally implausible and inconsistent with many other scenes in the movie. But this wasnât like that. Even after watching through it just once and finding out the twist at the end, all these scenes started rushing back into my mind with the thought that it makes so much sense. There are so many little things everywhere that youâll only notice if youâre really looking for it, and thatâs a sign of really good filmmaking. The movie has so many layers. And the twist wasnât just for shock value or anything; it actually serves a purpose and relates to the main idea of the movie when you think about it.

I am simply not smart enough to appreciate everything about this movie. There is just so much going on and so much to think about. Itâs a great movie because it takes a perspective you havenât seen, and tells a powerful story with interesting characters and a mysterious world. If thereâs anyone this movie shouldnât appeal to itâs me, so that means it should appeal to everybody. Well, not really, but you can appreciate it whether youâre an atheist or a Christian or a scientologist or anything. Thereâs action, suspense, drama⦠and well not so much romance and only dry humor if any. But still this movie is a spectacle worth savoring.

1,855 posts
Nomad

Tharos, did you copy that from another site???

HOLY FREAKING CRAP, i already hate this site, its name is rottentomatoes (wtf). This site gave Avatar an 83%, The Shawshank Redemption 88% which was voted the BEST MOVIE EVER , It gave The Godfather 100%, which was voted 2nd best movie ever. 2nd best movie higher rating than best?

Outburst completed

Movie critics are just that though, movie critics. Anyone who desides twhat movie to see based on &quotrofessional critics" is stupid. You get a better word from the common people. The list i mentioned above was made from votes from real people.

Thanks, but just a couple things. Critics are real people, even though they get paid a lot just to hate on movies. Also, did you like the movie? You didn't give an opinion. But from everything you did say, I agreed with all of it.
BlackIce131
BlackIce131
260 posts
Nomad

Also, did you like the movie?

My bad yes i liked it. Really though i cant think of a movie i dont like. But as a favorite, it isnt my favorite. Favorite being an opinion.
angryvegetarian
angryvegetarian
40 posts
Peasant

Outburst completed

Yeah, rottentomatoes can be kind of harsh to certain people. You have to be mindful that reviews of any kind are relative to the person reviewing it. Which is why I never take any review or critic serious (unless I'm looking for facts of the movie - storyline, who's starring in it, etc).

However, having Shawshank Redemption as a better movie over Avatar isn't going to be argued by many people. Other than graphics, Shawshank is a superior movie in literally every single other way.

Godfather, however, I think is a highly overrated movie. I'm not saying it's not good, just overrated.
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

Tharos, did you copy that from another site???

No, I typed it up in Word. Didn't realize this forum was too much of a baby to handle quotation marks and apostrophes. I'd post it again, but it's so freaking long. Can you read it okay? There's also an ellipse in there that didn't render.
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

Sorry, I meant ellipsis (...).

1,855 posts
Nomad

The mods are going insane! Jeez! They just locked almost the entire first page! Wowzers, this thread dodged a bullet.

@angryvegetarian, (hahaha nice username) I don't like rotten tomatoes.com because people rate it without even seeing the movie.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

The reason they were closed were because snipershot necroed most of them.

On topic. Rotten tomatoes, or any other critic sh** is stupid. Go watch the movie and criticize it yourself.

Showing 16-30 of 36