ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

285 49351
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.
Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important to, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.
The debate will go on until a predetermined score has been reached. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about, and how many points you would like to go to (I would suggest maybe 10 or 15 for right now, I'm not exactly sure how all the scoring will work out yet). Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Moegreche
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).
So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.
Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 285 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Nonono, this isn't the actual place for debate, only the place to get to the place... or something.
I reluctantly hand over the challenge to Devoidless who accepted. The debate will be held on this profile:

http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Religion2

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Oh, and redbedhead, you'll need to present your argument first!
Happy Debating!!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Thanks Moe. I know how much you wanted this one...but I will give it my all for both you and I. Also, I want everyone to read this one.

redbeard, en garde. I will enjoy showing you the skills of a true master...muahahaha...

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yes, I must warn you all. Devoidless proved himself to be a very worthy adversary against myself

That said...he did win because of that ridiculously ridiculous cheap shot >_> such is the treacherous nature of the Dark side...rofl.

*eyes Moe* I think we should find something to disagree on. Except I'm not touching the categorical imperative nor reductionism for the time being :P

redbedhead
redbedhead
341 posts
Nomad

moe I already did

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I have another topic that i want to do (if i can do two at a time).

Name: Ricador
Topic: Oil companies
Stance: They are so corrupt they are out to take over the world (and i am dead serious).

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

they probably will soon then they will run out of oil and i will point and laugh because they didn't try to look into any alternative energy sources.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

Hey Ricador, I'll take you on, but I'm a bit confused. Are they trying to take over the world using their high prices? If that is what you think, then I got some things to debate about.

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

I'm willing to challenge redbedhead if he's still waiting for an opponent >

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

XCoheedX

Yeah i am basically saying that they are trying to mooch all of the money through gas prices.

I am also saying that in about 20 years they will be the ones who have the gas and everyone will be wanting it and so that is were the power is at.

I have more thinks to say on that specific point but i will save it for the debate .

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

Okay dude, I challenge you! AHHHHH! But we got to wait for Moe to set it up.
Moe? oe....oe....oe.....seems to be an echo in here. o.O

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Anyone up for a debate on political theory? My stance is going to seem a bit long, though it's necessary so that there's a definite positive and negative case. Also, though I do have evidence to back up my claims, I think this will come down more to argument strength than actual citations, since this is more a debate on ethics. I think.

Topic: Styles of Government
Stance: The ideal form of government would do away with democracy - it's a failed concept that leads to corruption just like in most systems. However, under a well-executed fascist system, the people as a whole can flourish and the nation can ascend to a more glorious state than under any other political system.
tl;dr - Fascism > Other governments.

Any takers?

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

Im not certain how much I like the words Fascism, Glorious, Flourish and Ascend in the same paragraph. Democracy has its failings, but its not too shabby when compared to others.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the rest."
-Winston Churchill

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Hm, kinda smells like Megamickel laid a great big ol' pile of Hobbes over there
But I'd really like to see that debate!
In the meantime, we have Ricador vs. XCoheedX on the evil oil companies!! This will be on:
http://armorgames.com/user/Debate_Misc2

Ricador, you will present your argument first!
Happy Debating!!

TenaciousC
TenaciousC
40 posts
Nomad

I've got a good one that a lot of people always argue over.

Name: TenaciousC
Topic: Evolutionism or Creationism
Stance: Creationism, God created the universe and everything in it.

Showing 211-225 of 285