ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4713379
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Are the Simpsons iconic?

Yes.
Pop culture icons can be real people, too.
For instance, Che. Definitly an icon.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I'm going to guess you meant Cher, lol definitely an icon.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

For instance, Che.

?

I don't really know much about The Beatles either?

And niether do I!

Simpsons are definitely iconic, although in my opinion the quality has dropped over the years.

I used to watch the simpsons all the time. But I only watch Family Guy now. Family Guy is awesometastic.
sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

johnny test seems to also be a culture icon...

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I'm going to guess you meant Cher, lol definitely an icon.

No, I meant Che.
http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/4/courses-12.jpg

If you're face is most commonly seen in silhouette form, you're probably an icon.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Ah, I don't know who that is...but I'm guessing he's a major political/military figure?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I was about to suggest Che Guevara but I was unsure of venturing outside of cartoons.

Guevara was a major figure of the Cuban Revolution. Argentinian Marxist revolutionary.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/CheProducts.jpg

From what I instantaneously recall..

Just read this please. Some of it.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

If only more people knew more about what he did in Congo, his head might not be plastered everywhere...

Wait- What the-? There's seriously a freaking doll of him? What?

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Talk about iconic, I've seen his face on so much stuff yet never realized who he was T.T

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I figure he's become such a figure that what he actually did is overshadowed by what we perceive him to be.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I just recalled something about the Tom and Jerry movie. Watching the Nostalgia Critic's review made me remember the last time I watched it.

With Tom and Jerry having voices, it really was butchered. The silent quality of the original shorts are very marvelous indeed.

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

*shurgs* thats your opinion... and umm define awesome... ill just quote something random from a tv show.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Mythbusters. Oh, I love that show. Jamie Hyneman's funny.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Bill Clinton is a great pop-icon.

The most awesome pop-icon though is Batman.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

With Tom and Jerry having voices, it really was butchered. The silent quality of the original shorts are very marvelous indeed.

I remember the bulldog could talk... Or am I watching newer episodes?

Question:
How do you define "iconic", in terms of popculture? Is it based primarily on the prevalence of one's image, or one's ideas?

For instance, if it's image, the Che is an Icon. Ideas, not so much, as Kyouzou demonstrates.

On the other hand, other people such as Phillip K Dick* might be iconic for their ideas, but I doubt anyone would recognize his picture (or maybe even his name).

And then you have to consider audience. What may by iconic in the Trekkie community might by reltatively unkown by, say, Hannah Montana fanatics. So, in order to be a Pop Culture Icon, does something (or someone) need to bridge multiple genres?

*The guy who wrote "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"**.

** The book Blade Runner*** is based off of.

*** The movie with the robots and Harrison Ford. (Not Starwars)

He also wrote Minority Report and A Scanner Darkly.
Showing 1081-1095 of 9738