ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4714684
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

We've needed a new topic for the last 3-4 days. As for the longest word, I have only one thing to say to you. "Oh shut it"

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

As for the longest word, I have only one thing to say to you. "Oh shut it"

Well :P to you too. Oh, and long word is uberlong... although this little competition has lead to some very informative, if mostly useless, google searches.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I know right? Who knew people wasted internet space on such ridiculous things. Although looking at youtube, I don't think it's in my capability to be surprised.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

@knight_34

There are longer words, like the one goumas23 said.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Yeah, I think that's the longest.

I said non-technical and non-coined darn it. Also, the ones I noted are probably the longest one would use in normal writing to be honest.

The longest officially recognized place name in an English-speaking country is a hill in New Zealand named Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

Hmm.. That's a place name. NZ!

The one Goumas noted is the longest word to occur in a dictionary.

And then, there's Titin. 189k characters. I'd think some would say it's a world, but it's technical, not in any dictionary and its possible status as a word is disputed.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Why is it's status as a word disputed? It is the name of something.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

And then, there's Titin. 189k characters. I'd think some would say it's a world, but it's technical,

It's never actually been used in any specific context, so that's the nature of it's debate. It may be a word, but it's never been used or recognized as such, which is why I didn't use it and instead chose the one I did. My word has actually been published and recognized, although as a technical term it is not found in the dictionary. I'd also like to say that sesquipedalian is probably the longest word I actually use as a part of my vocabulary. Mainly because using it makes me a sesquipedalian.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Google here I come! Where does one even find a word like sesquipedalian

psh...making me use google to find out that you're a sesquipedalian

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

haha, it's one of my favorite words. Ungulate is up there on my list as well.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

What'd you do, read a dictionary?

What is wrong with just saying hoofed animals?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

My word has actually been published and recognized, although as a technical term it is not found in the dictionary. I'd also like to say that sesquipedalian is probably the longest word I actually use as a part of my vocabulary. Mainly because using it makes me a sesquipedalian.

Yes, I noted your word. Refers to a coat protein on a strain of tobacco mosaic virus I believe.

Hmmm..

The longest place name in the world is Bangkok's ceremonial name. Or, at least that is what's entered into the Guiness Book of World Records.

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Even Bangkok's Thai name is the first three words in that long placename. Though it is composed of multiple words and it isn't located in an English speaking country.

A list of long commonly used words (over 15 characters).
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

What'd you do, read a dictionary?

Let's just say I had a lot of free time as a kid I've actually sat and read an entire Mirriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, as well as the Encyclopedia Brittanica...
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

The EB I can understand, the MWCD I don't. I have a lot of free time, but I don't have the level of interest required to manage it. I'd much rather to come across words in conversations and find out that way, it's easier for me to remember them.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I used to read dictionaries as a kid. Britannica was good.

I didn't read the entire Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary though. What was that like?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I didn't read the entire Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary though. What was that like?

Long and boring. I only did it because spelling bee was coming up and I wanted to have a firm grasp on as many words as possible. It payed off in the end though, I took 4th in state that year, and 2nd the following.
GhostGS
GhostGS
323 posts
Nomad

Reading a dictionary? !!!! :O that is just weird. I never read a book as entertainment until year seven and your telling me you read a dictionary. You people are gods

Showing 1291-1305 of 9738