ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4714833
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Ah, well I guess you didn't pick up any more dictionaries to read in full again.

Huh?

I was reading books as entertainment even before I got into school. Reading a dictionary is alright, reading through it page for page is tedious.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Ah, well I guess you didn't pick up any more dictionaries to read in full again.

Nope! And unless I really need one I try to avoid it even today :P I'm one of the fortunate ones though in that I have a great memory, although it's becoming more and more selective about what it wants to remember as I get older...
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Ah. Heh, that must of caused a lot of aversion.

The name of the hill from NZ is in Maori and it means..

The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one.

Well, roughly.

What's with these sentence place names?

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

My issue is that, I'll only remember things if I do it repetitively, however I make mistakes as I get bored, and end up memorizing the wrong thing. I've discovered my best bet, in studying is to cram about five minutes before the test, that helps me the most.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

What's with these sentence place names?

Apparently many cultures attribute stories to certain areas, and sometimes portions of those stories become the name for the place. I noticed that a few times when I was living in Samoa as well. There are many places which have names that refer to an event that happened in that place.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Yep, I'm sure there are places in India that are like that, I'll have to ask my mom when she gets home.

KFK
KFK
1,051 posts
Nomad

The longest word in Swedish beats the English one bu very much.

Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten

130 characters. And it means "Coast artillery flight searching simulator area material maintaining follow-up system discussion post preparation tasks of the Northern Baltic Sea".

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Apparently many cultures attribute stories to certain areas, and sometimes portions of those stories become the name for the place. I noticed that a few times when I was living in Samoa as well. There are many places which have names that refer to an event that happened in that place.

I'm aware of that. At least we don't have many of those kinds of place names.

You used to live in Samoa?
KFK
KFK
1,051 posts
Nomad

Another long place name is this;

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

It's a Welsh railway station, also the longest word in Welsh language. It has 51 characters.

And here are some other long words.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

I'm all for long words that make people claw their eyes out through their ears, but I draw a personal line at what looks like you need stones in your throat to pronounce. O_o

There are many places which have names that refer to an event that happened in that place.

So would that be like... (In the language I'm making up) Kjuntschtipdolohkesdadakaesjerooda? (rock where the stupid person jumped and broke his groin) :P I used all of the words, but I could have probably just as easily come up with one that means the same, but only exists regionally.

I think this thread needs a name change again.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I like that name, very interesting, shouldn't it be cliff though?

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

I like that name, very interesting, shouldn't it be cliff though?

I got inspiration from Khartag Point, a big standalone rock near Gnaar Mok in Vvardenfell (TES III, Morrowind). Place was made famous because an orc, on a dare, climbed up the rock and jumped off of it, thinking he would land in the water and survive. He missed.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Uh, let's just move on from internetisms and let this conversation go to wherever we take it. When Strop changes the subject, we'll follow suit.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Haha that is perfect! I need to play that game, is it any good?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

You used to live in Samoa?

Yeah when I was younger. My parents sent me to a youth program there, and when I graduated I stayed on as a junior staff member. Ended up spending a total of like 17 months. Absolutely wonderful place. I honestly could live out the rest of my life there.
Showing 1306-1320 of 9738