ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4719595
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I lol'd. This is perhaps the only reason why I love England over some other countries - our weather is consistently bad but not to the 'OMG - don't go out there!' level. We haven't had any real snow drifts or storms for many years.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

Yesterday it was quiet windy. It was also pretty cold.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I don't really pay much attention to the weather, since I don't really feel temperatures unless they're below freezing or in the triple digits.

So unless there's something falling from the sky, don't ask me for a weather report!

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

The Fahrenheit system is a shambles. Why keep your freezing point at 32 degrees and your boiling point at 212?

We here are currently in the middle of spring. Winter passed and those were cold rainy days and close to freezing nights. Of course, I'm too far up north to enjoy the sight of snow.

As for bad storms, I lived in the Philippines for five years. Typhoon season.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Why keep your freezing point at 32 degrees and your boiling point at 212?

0 degrees is the temperature water freezes when mixed with salt, after that 212 is 180 degrees (aprox) higher than the freezing point of water.

Although it makes less sense I feel the more numbers make it a little more exact without needing decimals.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Your point is that you don't like decimals?

0 - Freezing
100 - Boiling

Simple. Anyway, despite living in America I never quite got the hang of the Fahrenheit system. Your measurements are inefficient.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

0 - Freezing
100 - Boiling

Well yeah I don't disagree that that makes more sense just that I find it simpler to use whole numbers instead of decimals.

Your measurements are inefficient.

They get the job done.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I would think that any of our measurements are not quite as good as those of other countries. in the metric system, it's so easy to convert distances, just divide/ multiply by easy numbers like 10, 100, 1000, etc. In our english system, you have all those complicated conversions, like 12 inches in one foot, 5280 feet in one mile, etc. I think that i would like using the metric system in the united states over the English system.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

The only "real" way of measuring temperatures accurately is by using Kelvin. You can't get below zero. Now that makes sense.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I've never even tried Kelvin before, I might have to try it sometime. I'm used to Fahrenheit.

NsV
NsV
4 posts
Nomad

The only "real" way of measuring temperatures accurately is by using Kelvin. You can't get below zero. Now that makes sense.

Yes, that's true. Most scientists use Kelvin to measure temp.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Think of it this way: temperature is the amount of heat in something. How can you have a negative amount of heat in anything? That just doesn't make any sense. That's why Kelvin is the only logical measurement.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

That's an excellent point, I'll have to look Kelvin up though, considering I have no idea how to use it.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Hmm only time I've used Kelvin is in an AP chemistry class. That class did open up the true wonderfulness of the metric system to me as well. Darn you america and your outdated ways.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Darn you america and your outdated ways

It may be outdated, but we did try to convert. in the 70's, we tried to do it, but no body wanted to convert, so the attempt failed. As for Kelvin scale, I don't have a clue how it works, and before your brought it up in this thread, couldn't even remember its name. However, having no negative numbers in the scale does sound convenient.
Showing 2956-2970 of 9738