ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4720058
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Personally, I'd like to see more metric system used in the Untied States myself. I do find out system complicated, and I often find myself forgetting how many feet are in mile. I defiantly think we should change.

And on another note, I'm not really seeing how using the metric system would be less accurate than the english system. I mean, you can still be just as accurate and its easier to convert to smaller or larger units.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Personally, I'd like to see more metric system used in the Untied States myself.

It makes a lot more sense to use the metric system, but most Americans (myself included) don't have very good perception when it comes to the metric system. In other words, if you tell an American you're 6 feet tall, he knows about how tall you are. If you tell an American you're 190 centimeters, however, he won't necessarily know if you're taller or shorter than he himself is.

That's one of the main reasons why we haven't yet converted.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I actually hadn't thought of that before, Ernie. I had kind of forgotten about the difficulty to convert there would be for the average American. I think I mentioned something before about the U.S. trying to convert before, but failing in its attempt. I guess that for now, its best for the u.s. to stick with the English system.

I would also like to make a note that i am also American.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I believe that the US system will fade away, eventually.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

That doesn't necessarily mean that "gallons" are more precise. It find it rather pointless to use gallons, quarts, pints and fluid ounces when I can use litres and millilitres.

I'll take a pint over 568ml any day thank you very much. People find whatever they've grown up with the most natural to use, and that's that. However you measure something, it's true value remains the same. The inconvenience of conversions is a minor one, since you almost never need to do so in every day life. If you do, that's what calculators or phone apps are for. Problem solved.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I believe that the US system will fade away, eventually.

Eventually, eventually.

I still find it a bit hard to convert between all the different units. And sometimes I forget some of our own units and how long they are.
In all my science classes we have to use the metric system though :P
xKimchix
xKimchix
323 posts
Nomad

I think all science classes have to use the metric system because real scientists only use the metric system and our science teachers really wants us to be real scientists. Right?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I'll take a pint over 568ml any day thank you very much. People find whatever they've grown up with the most natural to use, and that's that. However you measure something, it's true value remains the same. The inconvenience of conversions is a minor one, since you almost never need to do so in every day life. If you do, that's what calculators or phone apps are for. Problem solved.

Heh. A pint of beer. In the end, it doesn't matter what system is used. I would greatly appreciate, prefer standardisation whether it would be in the form of Imperial US (unlikely) or Metric (likely).

As for metrication, there are various methods of going about that I believe. Redefining current measurements under their metric values may be a bit problematic. Oh well, might as well teach people whilst they are young.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I think all science classes have to use the metric system because real scientists only use the metric system and our science teachers really wants us to be real scientists. Right?

Yes, all science classes use the metric system. am absolutely fine with this, with the exception of trying to convert from mass to volume, which confuses me greatly. As for teachers wanting us to be real scientists, I don't think that is true. I think they do it this way to A) create a more realistic experience when doing labs and such and B) get people used to the metric system if they decide they do want to be a scientist.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

The thing is, we don't know what our science teachers want us to be. Scientist or non-scientist. Maybe they do want the lab to be 'more realistic', maybe they don't care at all.

The metric system is a very smart way to measure things, almost every unit is a power of ten of another unit. I hope that made sense >.<

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

The metric system is a very smart way to measure things, almost every unit is a power of ten of another unit. I hope that made sense >.<

The metric system just makes more sense in general.

It's great and easy to convert.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

almost every unit is a power of ten of another unit. I hope that made sense >.<

Exactly the reason that I would like to see more of it here in the U.S. It is so much easier to convert from one unit to another, even when going from something like grams to liters. Now that I think about it, we measure some of our liquid containers (i.e. large soda bottles) in liters.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Indeed, I need to look up the metric system I haven't looked at it in years.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I find the USA's measuring system rather confusing. Though I don't know the system they use.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

You don't know the name? It's the United States customary system, which has some differences with the British Imperial system.

If you didn't know their system, you wouldn't know that you'd find it confusing.

Showing 3076-3090 of 9738