ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4719966
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

A cheap laugh is what I needed. Thanks for humouring me.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Even I still get confused by the liquid measurements in the U.S., and I've lived here all my life (so far).

HidenxBeast007
HidenxBeast007
3 posts
Nomad

I probably would like the metric system more if i lived where they used it. Im so used to the US's though that i cant stand the metric system. I find it much easier to use ours, Hiden out.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I've grown to used both and despite my obvious preference towards the use of metric, I still can't shake off measuring human weight and height in pounds and feet and inches respectively. Those are probably the only US measurements I've used quite frequently in a long time. As for measurements such as psi, I haven't needed to worry about pressure much so yes.

@HidenXBeast

Of course you would.

sasuke510
sasuke510
16 posts
Peasant

What about other units of measure??? Like groups of animals! Did you know a group of owls is called a parliament? It is! How adorable!

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I believe you're talking about collective nouns. These have little to do with mathematics so you can't classify them as being that same type of measurement.

sasuke510
sasuke510
16 posts
Peasant

Well, collective nouns are a hell of a lot cuter than another page of arguments over meters, is all I'm saying.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Not just an argument over metres, but an argument of Fahrenheit vs Celsius vs Kelvin and the merits of the US Imperial system of measurement and the Metric system of measurement.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

This is why the USA has alot of smarticle particles because we actually do MATH by sometimes muliplying and dividing instead of moving the decimal point.

I'm an American and even I laughed at that. We don't really use manual mathematics for figuring stuff out; the measurements are already laid out in front of us. Same goes for the metric guys, 'cept when converting, they only have to multiply/divide by 10. I was stressing is that our system of measurement is more precise. Yes, they may come out as decimal integers, but being precise is the difference between a perfect irrigation system and linking a river to the Gulf of Mexico in a short amount of time. Did you hear about that? One thousandth of a decimal off, and the whole river floods into the gulf. Hilarious!
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

That's why double and triple checking is for.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

This is why we need an edit button.

And of course, we must always be prudent to double check. I personally don't the the decimals myself.

You people are holdouts.

holt24
holt24
1,133 posts
Nomad

That's why double and triple checking is for.

I don't know havin to check so many times to make sure that we don't flood the gulf seems like alot of work which you would not have to do with our system.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Freakenstein was using an example. The supposed precision doesn't preclude the use of decimals for you system either. You just have to use a lot less decimals. It all depends.

Even when it comes to consumer usage, I still think the metric system is better.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Freakenstein was using an example. The supposed precision doesn't preclude the use of decimals for you system either. You just have to use a lot less decimals. It all depends.

It was a true example, nonetheless.

A slight difference in measure can get someone fired AND fined. Both systems must be checked, as the measurements can be within decimal places.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

A slight difference in measure can get someone fired AND fined. Both systems must be checked, as the measurements can be within decimal places.

And thus they suffer the consequences. I still believe the simplicity of ten outweighs the disadvantage of at times copious recurrences of decimals though.
Showing 3061-3075 of 9738