The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4725562
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

G'day mate! I was flippin' sum shrimp on the barbie when a cloud of blowies started buzzin' round my head! I had to run to the dunny, waited a while, and sprinted to the bute. I was goin along when I hit a roo. Poor thing looked a mess so I called my Sheila on the mobile.

footnote: No one talks like this. (except to confuse you).

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

I am astonished...

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Oh look, I'm a gold lord again! I think it was because of those comments I had spammed back when I was a newbie. Good times, good times.

Anyway, what are we talking about?

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I laugh at some of the differences between American English and English English. Anyway, I feel it best to give a little run down of Stock British Phrases, so I found one on TVtropes - Stock British Phrases (may not be suitable for people under the age of 13 or non-british people)

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

G'day mate! I was flippin' sum shrimp on the barbie when a cloud of blowies started buzzin' round my head! I had to run to the dunny, waited a while, and sprinted to the bute. I was goin along when I hit a roo. Poor thing looked a mess so I called my Sheila on the mobile.

Hello mate. I was barbecuing shrimp when a cloud of blowflies started buzzing around my head. I had to run to the restroom, waited a while, and sprinted to the ?. I was going along when I hit a kangaroo. Poor thing look like a mess so I called my woman on my cellphone.

@Avorne

TVtropes is awesome.

@Reton

You can assume it sounded less like the American we know today, especially if you find yourself in the area of the original British colonies. However, as soon as those settlers made themselves permanently comfortable the development was already in place.
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I believe that the question mark there should be filled in with car.

Anyways, I would have to agree with you there knight. However, I don't think people talk must differently in the area of the country where the British colonies were than anywhere else in the country. Do we?

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Anyways, I would have to agree with you there knight. However, I don't think people talk must differently in the area of the country where the British colonies were than anywhere else in the country. Do we?

Reword that plz??

[quote]G'day mate! I was flippin' sum shrimp on the barbie when a cloud of blowies started buzzin' round my head! I had to run to the dunny, waited a while, and sprinted to the bute. I was goin along when I hit a roo. Poor thing looked a mess so I called my Sheila on the mobile.

Hello mate. I was barbecuing shrimp when a cloud of blowflies started buzzing around my head. I had to run to the restroom, waited a while, and sprinted to the ?. I was going along when I hit a kangaroo. Poor thing look like a mess so I called my woman on my cellphone.[/quote]

:O I wouldn't have understood any of those terms if my life depended on it...
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

I don't think people that live in the original states 13 states talk differently than people who live elsewhere in the united states. hope that clears thing up.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Well, I'd say that you're wrong, there are subtle differences between the way people in different cities (let alone different states) talk and so it's only logical to assume that those differences carry over to different states. Words that mean W in X could mean Y in Z. Also, some words are unique to one state or a group of states - we see this quite prevalently in foods (usually due to different slang names or brand names becoming the catch-word for all foods of that type).

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

True, not to mentioned accents. Its pretty easy to tell if someone is from the south based on their accent. And as for words, I can't think of any that may be different between cities at this point, I'll have to look it up.

Matrix159
Matrix159
337 posts
Nomad

How many times has this thread been changed? Just a question from a fool pondering it.

jkmadman1
jkmadman1
1,066 posts
Nomad

How many times has this thread been changed? Just a question from a fool pondering it.

Go back a page or 2.

And as for words, I can't think of any that may be different between cities at this point, I'll have to look it up.

In Chicago they say three and it sounds like twee. circle sounds like coicle. I dont notice much of this because I live just south.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Oh, and it's always my fault isn't it?

When you're not being intimate with sheep, yes, yes it is.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

On the topic of accents, I always thought everyone in the US spoke a different language when I was 3 or so. But they only have different accents.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

If you've ever been in the deep south, some of them do speak a different language, sadly.

Showing 4516-4530 of 9738