The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4725479
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I can see a big debate between the Yanks and the Limey's as to what a biscuit should be. Yanks seem to see biscuits as savoury affairs and cookies as the sweet one. Limey's are inclined to call the sweet one a biscuit and use cookies for a specific type of biscuit.

LET THE WAR BEGIN!

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

So we go from the friend zone to biscuits... LOLWUT? Anyway, biscuits are always good. I personally like adding honey to my biscuits, or blackberry jelly if I can get it.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

This is K34s fault you know. You just had to bring up your freakin' biscuits.

I think my favorites are the chocolate cookies with M&Ms.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Finally decided to look up "digestive biscuits"; They definitely seem like they taste better than they sound. I think a chocolate coated one would be nice...

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I think a chocolate coated one would be nice...

Indeed. I still have half a pack left in my room.

I think my favorites are the chocolate cookies with M&Ms.

Those are good! Oh, and it's always my fault isn't it?
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Oh yeah, now I get it. Biscuits is Australian for Cookie. With that being said, I do enjoy Tim-Tams when I actually find them.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Biscuits is Australian for Cookie.

IT is! O_O
It feels more comfortable saying it that way I suppose. Which is why you can trick the American tourists
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

British English Freakenstein.

My personal usage usually refers to circular treats as cookies and everything else as biscuits.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Oh! Those biscuits!

Like, I enjoy a good biscuit right after a nice ride in a lorry or while standing on a lift with my Mum. But I don't like them after changing a baby's nappy or while I'm in the toilet. On occasion a biscuit is nice after a game of football.

(Sorry I don't mean that to be offensive, just trying to cram all the different words into one sentence.)

A side question if your from America you would be an American. And someone could say, "You Americans."

If you're from Germany you would be German. And someone could say, "You Germans."

If you are from France you would be French. And someone could say, "You Frenchmen." (?)

If you are from Britain you would be British and someone could say, "You Brits." But that's slang, possibly offensive. So you could say "You Britons." (?)

So what do you call French people and British people? Is there no shorter way to say it other than French people and British people?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I use the term lift and elevator to refer to the building transporters and toilet, bathroom and restroom to refer to the area designated for crapping. I refer to Brits as Brits, British, Britons and Poms.

Choice! I flogged a bogan's lollies, his pair of gumboots, Janola and togs. Wagging is sweet as. /ridiculous

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Choice! (Sweet!) I flogged (stole) a bogan's (lower class person, unsophisticated person, chav [Britsih English]) lollies (Money [lollipops lol j/k], his pair of gumboots (rainboots, [Wellington Boots British English}), Janola [bleach] and togs [swimsuits]. Wagging [not going to school] is sweet as. /ridiculous

Thank you Wikitionary and Google.
Apparently they call gumboots gum-boots in America as well,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_boot#Canada_and_the_US

Boss! The whole place was bumpin' until some one started going postal. Apparently, someone ganked this dudes bud and he flipped his wig. We bounced before the popo showed.

(The slang terms are coming from different era's and might not even be American English specific.)

Actually I just thought of another question. If Americans basically speak British English and the first English speaking settlers probably came mostly from Britain, where does the American accent come from? I would guess the mixing with the French and German?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I knew you'd waste your time Reton. I don't have enough time to try and translate your slang phrase... I'll come up with some more New Zealand nonsense tomorrow.

To put it in simple terms Reton, it's what happens when you have a nation which harbours millions of people with varying ethnicities, cultures, languages and traditions. Over time as the country develops into something of its own, the language does too. Of course both forms of English are mutually intelligible, but 230 years of separation does something doesn't it?

Language is forever evolving and there are more ethnicities involved aside from mere French and German.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Wow it's so funny... As a stranger I have learned at school only British English, and it's funny to see how many differences there are among the various countries.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I knew you'd waste your time Reton.

Lol, I'm becoming know as a time waster on the site. It was a challenge though.

I wonder what the American English language sounded like during the America (U.S.) Revolution, ending in 1776?

Considering that Christopher Columbus(who was Genoese, about the equivalent of modern day Italian), under Spanish Authority, "whose voyages across the Atlantic Ocean led to general European awareness of the American continents in the Western Hemisphere... he initiated the process of Spanish colonization which foreshadowed general European colonization of the "New World" to the European world."

Then, "The first successful English settlements were the Virginia Colony in Jamestown in 1607 and the Pilgrims' Plymouth Colony in 1620. The 1628 chartering of the Massachusetts Bay Colony resulted in a wave of migration."

So considering the first people to really explore America were Spanish and the first English speaking people didn't arrive until 1607, by the time of the revolution the English speaking people had only been there (1776 - 1607 = 169) 169 years. (And up to current times 2010 - 1607 = 403 years. Alright 403 years is almost half a century for the language to develop into American English, but 169 years is not so much. I assume the Americans of the American (U.S.) Revolution had British "accents" or didn't have American accents.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Ericson

Also lists of British words not widely used in America and Common British and American terms with different meanings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_words_not_widely_used_in_the_United_States
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King
Showing 4501-4515 of 9738