ForumsWEPRA intresting fact....

22 6517
Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

Hi everyone, hi cristians, i am not one, but i am about to recive alot of critisim, now i've never read the bible nor do i entend too, but another cristian told me the following

- It says nothing in the bible about eating meat, and nothing about god giving us animals to eat, but what it dose say is that the lord gave us every seed baring plant and herb to eat

sooo what do you think of that?..

Could someone confirm it?

And if you dont belive it could you give me proof (line number ect.) that god did say we could eat meat...

• 22 Replies
Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

... wait, so this person is saying is that the Bible is against eating meat? What a load of crud. Now, I have nothing against vegetarians who do not want to eat meat for a good cause, but the Bible is certainly not against it.

First of all, that verse that says he gave us 'every seed baring plant and herb to eat' is in Genesis, but it only applied to Adam and Eve before the fall of man.

Genesis 9:3-4 states this: "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it." This clearly states that the eating of meat is alright, as long as it has been prepared properly.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I've actually done some previous research on food and the bible before. I can say that the Bible contradicts itself many times on many different topics. Food is one of them. In some parts it says that we are to only eat that which grows from the earth. Then we move further along the Old Testament to see that there are clean and unclean animals to eat. Then after that it moves along to say that we should not eat meat until we are in the Kingdom of Heaven. Then after that it lists the meat we can eat, which are as follows:

Deuteronomy 14:4-8 -"These are the animals which you may eat; the ox, (cattle) the sheep, the goat, the deer, the gazelle, the roebuck, the wild goat, the ibex, the antelope and the mountain sheep. And any animal that divides the hoof and has the hoof split in two and chews the cud, among the animals, that you may eat. Nevertheless, you are not to eat of these among which chew the cud, or among those that divide the hoof in two; the camel and the rabbit and the rock-badger, for though they chew the cud, they do not divide the hoof; they are unclean for you. And the pig, because it divides the hoof but does not chew the cud, it is unclean for you. You shall not eat any of their flesh nor touch their carcasses."

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

So if we cook and prepare an already dead human - that was not murdered - then we could eat them?
Not trying to be a pain, that just crossed my mind. I have no idea if cannibalism is referenced in the Bible. Much of the advice there is quite pragmatic - like not eating pork or shellfish - but letting a perfectly good corpse go to waste seems a bit silly.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

My point is that you can read one verse that tells you one things is okay to do, then the next tells you it's not.

Navnlose
Navnlose
109 posts
Nomad

It is spoken for, the bible is with eating meat, i just wanted to see if it was true, and in some places it is, yet it is your choise if you eat meat, i personally do not, and nor do i have no problem with people who do, well not too much... =]

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Moe, I just found this:

Deuteronomy 28:53-57 (also Lev 26:29)

Because of the suffering that your enemy will inflict on you during the siege, you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you. Even the most gentle and sensitive man among you will have no compassion on his own brother or the wife he loves or his surviving children, and he will not give to one of them any of the flesh of his children that he is eating. It will be all he has left because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of all your cities. The most gentle and sensitive woman among you - so sensitive and gentle that she would not venture to touch the ground with the sole of her foot - will begrudge the husband she loves and her own son or daughter the afterbirth from her womb and the children she bears. For she intends to eat them secretly during the siege and in the distress that your enemy will inflict on you in your cities.

2 Kings 6:26-29

As the king of Israel was passing by on the wall, a woman cried to him, "Help me, my lord the king!"

The king replied, "If the Lord does not help you, where can I get help for you? From the threshing floor? From the winepress?" Then he asked her, "What's the matter?"

She answered, "This woman said to me, 'Give up your son so we may eat him today, and tomorrow we'll eat my son.' So we cooked my son and ate him. The next day I said to her, 'Give up your son so we may eat him,' but she had hidden him."

Jeremiah 19:9 (also Ezek 5:10)

I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and daughters, and they will eat one another's flesh during the stress of the siege imposed on them by the enemies who seek their lives.

Lamentations 4:10

With their own hands compassionate women
have cooked their own children,
who became their food
when my people were destroyed.

John 6:53-56

Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

You see Asherlee, you have to read through most of the Bible to understand what it is talking about (and I do not expect you too because, well, why would you?). In certain places it is referring to only the Jews, such as in Leviticus when it is talking about the food laws.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Sting, I do realize that the stuff from the Old Testament is about the Jews, but it is in the Christian Bible. I mean, I just don't think the Bible had a great editor...

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

Well if we are talking about Charitians why arec we talking about Jews?

Sorry I do'nt know much about the bible I dont read it.Try it on a website though.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Nice ones, Ash.
While I think most of those passages are referring to eating people as a result of suffering - the act of Communion is the ultimate form of Cannibalism. While really only the Catholic and Apostolic church believe in transubstantiation (where the priest actually turns the bread and wine into Christ Chex) even in other churches they are symbolically eating their lord.
This really puts Breakfastarianism into a new light...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

lol and I am such a devout Breakfastarianist...

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

@Moe
The act of 'transubstantiation', i.e. you are actually eating/drinking the body/blood of Jesus, is not a Biblical practice, and is one the many things the Catholics do that is un-Biblical.

@Asherlee
I do not really see where you are going with that point - the food laws were directed towards a certain people in a certain time, and if you really study into the food laws, they made perfect sense, even though the people of that time may not have understood why.
For instance, crustaceans, the food laws said to avoid eating those animals. Why? Well, they are bottom feeders, and back then people did not have the technology/resources to properly harvest and eat those animals. The people of that time had no way of knowing that those crustaceans were bottom feeders, but yet they obeyed the food laws anyways.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I wasn't trying to make a point. I was merely quoting the Bible...

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Hm, alright... it seems like you were trying to state that the Bible 'disagrees' with itself in that respect, so I was just clarifying that it does not.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Eating Jesus isn't a Biblical practice?
That's when the practice originated - during Communion, they even read from the Last Supper where Jesus explains that everyone is eating is body and drinking his blood. He could perform miracles so turning that into his flesh doesn't seem like a stretch if he could raise from the dead.

Showing 1-15 of 22