The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe Taverntheories for going FASTER than the speed of light

41 5747
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

i know a few and don't really feel like posting them, but what have you heard....ok fine ill say the general idea of them i've heard two-first-wormholes eg. folding space and punching a hole in the two sides. second-i don't remember it completely, but it is based on the fact that space can expand faster than the speed of light.

• 41 Replies
BenTheBozer
BenTheBozer
815 posts
Nomad

Space does expand faster then the speed of light if it didnt the whole of space would be filled with light. There was a breif period in time were light did fill all of space but that was only for a breif second. The speed of light will never be broken it is impossiable.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

well light has no mass, and it travels its own named speed.

anything else has mass, so therefore, according to its mass, it can not travel faster or even equal to the speed of light. it is simply impossible.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Wormholes are cheating. You can't fold space and basically teleport only to claim you traveled the whole distance.

Caucheka
Caucheka
440 posts
Nomad

random post moe.

if you could travel faster than light, you would go back in time, because time is measured by light. at least thats what i heard.

ie lets say its the year 3000. your traveling to a planet 10 light years away. it takes you 5 years to get there. you should be arriving by 3010 but are actually arriving at 3005, which means you went back in time 5 years.

thats the best explanation i can think of.

darkgreenleaf
darkgreenleaf
15 posts
Nomad

also if, theoretically speaking, you'd be able to go faster then light by any means, no material that we know would be able to withstand the force used to travel that fast, and neither would our bodies..

and something else, you said that

Space does expand faster then the speed of light

I never knew that, I always thought that by travelling faster then light you'd be able to catch up to the edge of the expanding universe, and so witness the ongoing growth of it.

So the only way to do that is by actually being able to see that far then... ?
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

It's impossible, at least by typical physics' standards. I'm fairly positive it's possible, although you wouldn't 'technically' be going that fast. As has been said, space expands faster than light, as gravity has no mass.

Anything with no mass, i.e. magnetic waves, light, gravity, etc., can travel the speed of light and then some. Simply because it is already energy, it cannot transition into another state of energy. If mass were to attain such enormous speed, it would turn to an infinitely dense ball of energy, killing and destroying everything on board.

At least that's how I figure it. I'm no quantum physicist, so I'm probably wrong.

Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

Sadly, to travel the speed of light is impractical. According to many theories (including one of mine), if you reach anything that travels the speed of light turns into energy.

It is practical to travel at 99.9% the speed of light though, to attain time travel. If you use a time/distance ratio you can calculate the time/distance travelled.

At least that's how I figure it. I'm no quantum physicist, so I'm probably wrong.

Sadly, I am a quantum physicist.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

random post moe.

It wasn't random, I forgot to quote the part in the OP about wormholes and folding space.

On the History channel show The Universe they were talking about time travel, and as part of that exceeding the speed of light. One of the things they said was that with current physics and our understanding of the universe it is physically impossible to exceed the speed of light. However things like wormholes and warpdrives can make it seem like you are exceeding light speed.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Even if going at the speed of light or faster were possible(which it's not), it would be hopelessly impractical. Any human attempting to travel at such speeds would pretty much get their organs liquefied. Why? Well, because Sir Isaac Newton kicked your ***. Nah, just kidding. It would actually be caused by inertia. Inertia, for those of you who don't like physics class, is the resistance of an object to change in its motion or velocity, therefore the faster you go, the more you go squish.
Well...I think I'm right on inertia, right? Right? I dunno.

Sadly, I am a quantum physicist.

OMG!!!! UR SO SMART!!!! I hope you're joking. You're joking, right?
ArmorPenetrator
ArmorPenetrator
23 posts
Farmer

@Protofai, it's good to see a quantum physicist around here. Also his theory fits mine, being some kinda quantum physicist. One more thing to say: No matter where you've heard it from, you're all saying if you could go faster than the light, you would be traveling in time, aren't you? Well, one of the time theories say: "The time goes on because it's plane fits our universe's expanding speed." Well, if universe is expanding faster than the light, how are you supposed to travel in time going at the same speed?

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Sadly, no.

...what I meant, is that I hope you're joking because I don't really believe you. Forgive me, but how can you be a quantum physicist and be in the process of making a video game at the same time? I mean, that's not exactly what quantum physicists do. In addition, you said you were a quantum physicist after the other guy said something about being a quantum physicist, and I've seen no reference to your being a physicist in any thread but this one, where, coincidentally, it is exactly what the subject's about! I mean...seriously?
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

hey moe i also saw that history channel thing on time travel it also stated that when an item/object/person comes close to the speed of light it travels through time

Crashman222
Crashman222
355 posts
Nomad

basically

(S-m)(times)x g+(m+t)
S-Speed of light
m-mass
g-gravatational pull
t-thrust

teoretically if the #s are correct and the speed of light is reach able with the right senerio

but if you did reach the s.o.l. anything mad made with today tech would be instantly vaperized

but you had the proper trust, speed and momentom then you could slingshot off the gravitational pull of a black hole if you are far ennuf away incressing your inerta and momentom rocketing you away, this theory could possibly work for any large massed object like a massive star, gas gaint or large planet

i personally just thought of this with a gennus moment if i have any probbalems please correct me and i know for sure there are its just a teorry and yes i know black holes suck in even light so you would have to going over 10x the speed of light

Crashman222
Crashman222
355 posts
Nomad

p.s. i am not any quantom physisist i am just a mere 8th grader =D

Crashman222
Crashman222
355 posts
Nomad

i forgot to put u would have to be going over 10x the speed of light to escape a black hole

srry for triple post

Showing 1-15 of 41