The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe Taverntheories for going FASTER than the speed of light

41 5746
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

i know a few and don't really feel like posting them, but what have you heard....ok fine ill say the general idea of them i've heard two-first-wormholes eg. folding space and punching a hole in the two sides. second-i don't remember it completely, but it is based on the fact that space can expand faster than the speed of light.

• 41 Replies
Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

Forgive me, but how can you be a quantum physicist and be in the process of making a video game at the same time?

To clear things up...

I'm still in the process of Graduating. And I don't really tell people much about what I do because, well, it's personal info. Any smart person would know that. The only reason I said that I am on this thread is because I found it ironic that someone would bring up my profession in a thread about my profession.

The game is well...
Slow-going. I don't have much time to work on it, trying not to fail my studies and such... Ag is really just a hobby of mine when I have some spare time. Which isn't very often.
SubZero131
SubZero131
598 posts
Nomad

so is it commonly agreed upon that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, "nothing" being space or emptiness itself?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,585 posts
Duke

Maybe one is to attract so much energy that when you release it all at one point, it blasts you away. (Then you'll die)

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

you cant its the universal speed limit. time will SLOW itself so that you wont pass it

CrossViper
CrossViper
481 posts
Nomad

The game is well...
Slow-going. I don't have much time to work on it, trying not to fail my studies and such... Ag is really just a hobby of mine when I have some spare time. Which isn't very often.

Is it a very physics heavy game? Because if it is, then that's sweet.
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

well, i guess youd hav to be an alien r something, because people arent that fast.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Big enough magnet to stave off nuclear de-materialization.

Then it's possible, with proper thrust and use of gravity.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Big enough magnet to stave off nuclear de-materialization.
Then it's possible, with proper thrust and use of gravity.

Again, I cite inertia. Well, actually, I suppose that depends. Are we talking about just having the capability to go the speed of light, or actually having a human being travel at the speed of light or faster?
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

One of the problems with making something with mass reach the speed of light is that you need a greater than infinite amount of energy. So basically, unless we find out something new that goes around that it will not be possible to truly travel at light speed.

allright88
allright88
154 posts
Nomad

Space does travels faster than speed of light.
I don't remember exactly but einstien said many things about light travelling and it effects time very much like if some one travels faster than speed of light then for them time dosen't go further so he may be immortal untill killed.

Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

A theory that I heard recently about reaching the S.O.L is an accelerator similar to the one used to smash those lovely small atoms together, 'cept big enough to circle the earth. Having several levels starting up near one of the poles and ending up near the equator would probably be able to get you somewhere near S.O.L.

I personally don't think it would work because part of my thesis is that you have to travel in a straight line to reach S.O.L. But some think otherwise, which I have nothing against.

Going around the earth over once per second... Wow.

But centrifugal force would be a problem... Hmm...

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

A theory that I heard recently about reaching the S.O.L is an accelerator similar to the one used to smash those lovely small atoms together, 'cept big enough to circle the earth. Having several levels starting up near one of the poles and ending up near the equator would probably be able to get you somewhere near S.O.L.

What I heard said it would need to be a thousand light years long just to accelerate a human to light speed.
Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

Well see a circle doesn't really end, does it.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Its about more than the length of the circle, it has to be big enough that you can go around it. The higher the speed to gentler of a curve you need.

Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

I'd say the earth's diameter is pretty big.

But centrifugal force would be a problem... Hmm...

Quoting myself there.

After higher speeds are reached, it could just launch and then rely on external boosters.
Showing 16-30 of 41