ForumsSupport ForumGetting Merits is Impossible

34 6123
blazer4579
blazer4579
22 posts
Nomad

Getting merits is way too hard. You take all this time to write a thoughtful review and then five minutes later about 50 other people have written comments and yours is lost forever. How are you supposed to earn merits like that!!!???!?!?

• 34 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

-- Getting Merits do not take effect within a day of posting.

-- Moderators must find the game that your review is in. This has some sort of "lottery" effect to it. If you want better chances of getting a merit for your review, make a review for more than one game. If you don't get a merit for one game, you may get one in another.

-- If you don't get one in a long time, your review may be shoddy. Check back with your review and brainstorm why your review may not be given attention (aside from the brainwashing that the mods don't do s***). Maybe your grammar and spelling was illegible. Maybe your review wasn't congruous with other testimony or with the game itself (posting BS in a game and calling it a review ISN'T a review)

-- Moderators have preferences to games, whether or not they'd be honest with that info

-- If you don't get a merit in a long time, don't fret. Keep at it. You have still taken time to help the developer out with your review and you may get something better in the process.

-- Refer to this sticky for more information:

+~+~+~+~~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~~+~+~++~+~+~+~++~+~+~+~+

You take all this time to write a thoughtful review

That's how reviews are. Complex, comprehensive written works that go through the entire spectrum of said game and REVIEWS what does and does not fly with the reviewer.

and then five minutes later about 50 other people have written comments and yours is lost forever.

When mods look for merits, they also look for spam. Or vice-versa. It's kinda funny to imagine if a mod has done one thing if not the other. Zophia comes to mind (jk)

I used 3 hours of my day on going through games and rewarding merits, and all I get is this.

Erm...thank you Cenere, and the rest of the mods, for working so hard for little recognition. The others don't realize just how much of a brain mallet working as a mod is.... :[
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

"Good game"
"Ok, could be better"
"6/10"
"sux."
"I liked it"
"It wuz 2 hard"
"i cant beat lvl 13!!!!"
&quotretty good, 8/10"

You forgot to mention the guy that says "OMG how could dis have 8/10 rating it sux*comment goes on, punctuated nicely with swearing*. And ends with "if me and my homies found this game on the street we'd shoot it."

You know what, I think being a mod would suck. No offense...but it just seems like a lot of work for no reward, for a gaming site. You know?
And I don't even get why people care about merits. First of all, why do you care about the ArmorPoints? If you want respect, then don't get it by whining to mods that you didn't get a merit...get it by doing something constructive, even if you didn't get a merit. And it's 25 measly points, for crying out loud. 25 posts on the forums or 12.5(I know half-posts exist! Know it!) posts on a profile/game.
Cenere, I kinda feel sorry for you and the mods. =( It seems like a lot of hard work for practically nothing. Even school tells you "good job" when you do well.

P.S.-YOU MODS BETTER GIVE ME A MERIT FOR THIS POST CUZ ITS A WALL OF TEXT! YOU HEAR ME? A WALL OFF TEXT! I BET YOUV NEVER SEEN ANYONE WRITE ANYTHING THIS LONG!!!!! I DONT CARE IF YOU CAN'T GET MERITS FOR FORUM POSTS, AAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! IF YOU DON'T SEE THIS AWSOM COMMENT AND GIVE ME A MERIT FOR IT, IT MEANS UR NOT DOING UR JOB!!!!!
P.P.S.-That was fun. I like pretending to be immature, lol. But ya'll know I was just kidding around.
Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

Ya know, maybe we should get some Mod recognition... like a party or something...

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

-- Getting Merits do not take effect within a day of posting.

I doorsat a game last week, rewarding and deleting as it came in. Had a merit given 5 minutes after it had been posted.

-- Moderators must find the game that your review is in. This has some sort of "lottery" effect to it. If you want better chances of getting a merit for your review, make a review for more than one game. If you don't get a merit for one game, you may get one in another.

Currently working on the front page. Of course, it is a little hard to notice comments written after you left the game.

It's kinda funny to imagine if a mod has done one thing if not the other. Zophia comes to mind (jk)

I have actually done this. Removed the spam, then asked the others to see if there was merit-worthy stuff. Funnily enough there was still an average of one per game.

You forgot to mention the guy that says "OMG how could dis have 8/10 rating it sux*comment goes on, punctuated nicely with swearing*. And ends with "if me and my homies found this game on the street we'd shoot it."

p
pr
pre
pret
prett
pretty
pretty
pretty f
pretty fu
pretty fun
pretty fu
pretty f
pretty
pretty
prett
pret
pre
pr
p
comes to mind.

Cenere, I kinda feel sorry for you and the mods. =( It seems like a lot of hard work for practically nothing. Even school tells you "good job" when you do well.

Read an article about why people play video games (as well as work and generally do something over and over). I don't think I could relate any of the points to being a mod, besides "Superiority", and we don't even have that.
Also, it is not entirely fair to say we work and work and work and are abused and what not. We are not (often), there is just times where yelling and roaring about something is the only thing there is left to do.
If we really hated this, we would resign. If we didn't feel a responsibility and pity towards the users. And there is no one to take out spot. And it would burden the other mods. But otherwise, we could just resign.

Also note I am really good a whining, ranting and roaring. Because venting rage is addictive, and IT THE ONLY THING WE GOT LEFT D:

I lost where I was going.
Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

I lost where I was going.

How do Mods type so fast anyway?
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

How do Mods type so fast anyway?

Practice.
Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

Practice.

Ah ok. I never learned to type so...
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

This is completely off-topic and stuff, but your question got me thinking, Proto...
How fast do you type, Cenere?
I have about 84 wpm.
And yeah...I know I just totally killed this thread by sending it away from the topic. I'm sawwy, but I'm just curious! Blame my cat, I think she's rubbed off on me or something.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I doorsat a game last week, rewarding and deleting as it came in. Had a merit given 5 minutes after it had been posted.

This must have been more boring than watching water turn into a gas. Not that I've done that or anything.

Currently working on the front page. Of course, it is a little hard to notice comments written after you left the game.

Currently wondering if my most-recent review was lacking....I knew I submitted it too early... *mumble*

Ah ok. I never learned to type so...

68 WPM :P
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I believe I hold the record of <10 seconds after it was posted. Went to the flash game, opened the comment, read it, merited it. I remember which comment it was. I don't recommend doing that. If it's still one of the top 5 comments, it will fugly up the front game page comments with a merited comment.

Also note I am really good a whining, ranting and roaring. Because venting rage is addictive, and IT THE ONLY THING WE GOT LEFT D:

You're the only one to outright rage on this thread. :P
Protofai
Protofai
228 posts
Nomad

68 WPM :P

Yeah i can get around 60-65 wpm with my lovely 4 finger method. :P

I believe I hold the record of <10 seconds after it was posted.

._. wow.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Also, it is not entirely fair to say we work and work and work and are abused and what not. We are not (often), there is just times where yelling and roaring about something is the only thing there is left to do.
If we really hated this, we would resign. If we didn't feel a responsibility and pity towards the users. And there is no one to take out spot. And it would burden the other mods. But otherwise, we could just resign

Quiet, Cenere!!!!
The violins and pianos just started playing! Tell me that in say, a few months/years, have me smack you in the face for it to a ton of dramatic music, and make it Spanish too for good measure, and we'll have a pretty good soap opera on our hands.
I can see it now...the AG Soap Opera...*breaks off in roaring laughter* Can't...breathe....laughing....*dies*
OMG Cen killed me! More dramatic music! Where's my water!? Kelly, where's the craft service table? I need my pineapple peking dumplings!!!(kudos to all who get the ref).
On a serious note though, yeah, I realized that you could probably resign from modship if you wanted to, but you know, it just seemed like kind of a fruitless task to me.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

How fast do you type, Cenere?

I have no idea. We don't really have those tests in Danish, and I am really bad at looking at doing those word count tests in English. Just like me having a huge vocab in English (for a Dane, I guess), but if I am going to seriously speak aloud, my tongue starts to fill my mouth, and I slur horribly.

You're the only one to outright rage on this thread. :P

Raging is fun. But sorry for unauthorized generalization.

I believe I hold the record of <10 seconds after it was posted.

I blame taking a moment to read something else, and then coming back to a review. > >;

On a serious note though, yeah, I realized that you could probably resign from modship if you wanted to, but you know, it just seemed like kind of a fruitless task to me.

It is. This is why I use time on raging over stuff like this, and making fun of the people that irk me (off this site). It lets the steam out.
mojo72595
mojo72595
165 posts
Nomad

i completely agree with u

blazer4579
blazer4579
22 posts
Nomad

Cenere is right. I'm sorry for getting so angry. It is unfair for the mods to go through all the comments in a game just to find one comment that deserves a merit. I was totally wrong and shouldn't have even made this thread. I bet my comment wasn't even close to merit worthy. I am SO sorry for this. I wasn't thinking. I guess I'll have to just write more well thought out comments that are better than my FIRST attempt at writing a real comment. All the moderators should get a merit for actually finding a comment that is merit worthy. I am really wrong.

Showing 16-30 of 34