ForumsPopular MediaFavorite Genre of music?

281 98747
Legenduninfected
Legenduninfected
291 posts
Nomad

I like Punk the best!

So.. yeah

• 281 Replies
eatmydust166
eatmydust166
926 posts
Peasant

Punk/rock/alternative/pop
I like other types of music too but I like these ones the most.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

punk and prog are my main two favorites. i like the complexity and talent of prog and the pure bad@ssness of punk

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

i like some rock, slow rock and some classical

crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

I love metal, rock, and some of the lighter stuff. this will sound nerdy but I like certain video game tracks too like from Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

read my profile... most of the bands there are symphonic and/or power metal bands that I like. I've put lots of examples on there for those that are interested. that kind of music just makes me happy.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

Dethklok, Ozzy, Tenacious D, just epic Metal man. It's the origin of punk, pop, and alternative.

Pop-Metal bands like Van Halen inspired MJ, who frontlined teh Pop movement.

When death metal was being crafted, some wanted to be that edgy, but not so much. Punk came out of that.

With the popularization of Pop, Thrash toned down a shade, and became Alternative.

METAL!!!

derek13756
derek13756
168 posts
Nomad

Maroon 5 and the black eyed peas are my 2 favorite bands

GunDragon
GunDragon
509 posts
Nomad

I like pretty much anything but I listen to Punk/rock/alternative the most.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

When death metal was being crafted, some wanted to be that edgy, but not so much. Punk came out of that.

lolwut? Death metal originated in the 80s/90s. Punk was mid-70s. You're giving metal way too much credit here.

With the popularization of Pop, Thrash toned down a shade, and became Alternative.

And this is DEFINITELY wrong. Alternative indirectly grew out of punk in the 80s with underground college rock/jangle pop/alt-rock bands like Jane's Addiction, the Cure, Joy Division, Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance (on the dream pop side of things), Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sonic youth, etc. NOT thrash metal. Grunge is what you're thinking of, because it took some influence from hardcore punk and metal, which thrash took influence from as well - but alternative as a whole was developed around the same time as thrash, with a different pool of influences. Thrash was speed metal, hardcore punk, and the new wave of British heavy metal, whereas alternative was punk, post-punk, 60s music, etc. The earliest alternative music was gothic rock, which started in late 70s in Britain. The earliest thrash metal was in the early-mid 80s. Once again, you're giving metal way too much credit.

Pop-Metal bands like Van Halen inspired MJ, who frontlined teh Pop movement.

Michael Jackson's solo career began before Van Halen was formed, and Van Halen didn't release their debut album until about 7 years after MJ started his solo career. Aerosmith was a bit earlier, but still 3 years after MJ's solo career started. So no, you're wrong again. Like I said, you're giving metal too much credit.

All right, now that that's done, here's just a list of my favorite genres . . . .

Death metal
black metal
post-black metal
folk metal
progressive metal
avant-garde metal
jazz metal
electronic
ambient
ambient electronic
downtempo
trip-hop
instrumental hip-hop
IDM
garage rock
indie rock
jangle pop
shoegaze
dream pop
alternative rock
post-rock
dark cabaret
psychedelia
progressive rock
space rock
avant-garde anything
swing
big band
classical
neoclassical
symphonic power metal
etc. etc.
shotgun5
shotgun5
45 posts
Nomad

i listen to rock music the most but when i feel down i listen to pop music more

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Progressive is my traumatism, but here's a more detailed list. :P

>Progressive Rock -> See my prog thread for every subgenre I listen too. Exclude RPI
>Progressive Metal -> Deserves special mention.
>Death Metal
>Black Metal (a little)
>Alternative
>Post-Metal
>Post-Rock
>Heavy Metal.
>NWOBHM -> New Wave of British Heavy Metal

Bah. I can't bother listing them all, but this is a narrowed list :P

Another thing to note is that almost every black or death metal band I listen to has to be melodic or progressive to a degree :P.

Hellion85
Hellion85
1 posts
Nomad

I like heavy stuffs, like Thrash Metal bands (Metallica and Megadeth are great Thrash).

But I also enjoy Metalcore today (hate the fact that most poseurs belong here too). I love this band >> August Burns Red.

Goatfather
Goatfather
8 posts
Nomad

I listen to Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Rock, Rap... I'm not too picky when it comes to music genres, but I am when we're talking bands.

I tend to listen to We Are Scientists most. I'd say they're may favourite band, with Indie Rock being may favourite genre.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Classic rock BY FAR!!!!!

then some Heavy Metal, Screamo, indie rock, things like that.

Favorite Band:
1. the beatles
2. Scary Kids Scaring Kids
3. Reel Big Fish

Ennie
Ennie
16 posts
Nomad

I am probably one of the few people who actually listens to a broad spectrum of music.
The only time I cringe at a certain genre of music is if it's too deeply rooted in that genre for me to understand or relate to.
For example, I'm okay with country music, but not extremely country music.
Same goes for metal, bubblegum pop, folk, blues, and some other genres.

Some genres I listen to: R&B, Soul, Hip Hop, Rap, Asian Pop, Pop, Rock, Alternative, Indie, Dance, Classical, Piano, Foreign Music (Indian, French, Spanish, you name it), Electronic, Soundtrack...
Yeah, I'm pretty tolerant.
As long as the song has catchy or good lyrics, and a nice beat or melody, I'm generally okay with anything.

Showing 31-45 of 281