ForumsNews and FeedbackSoopah-Doopah Stickies:

36 12920
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

While I shouldn't give criticism to the newcomers as I also had this trouble when I was new, the very thought of having stickies when they were more or less ignored or looked over is very alarming. Anything to make the important threads stand out better than just a pin and bold words would be great! Glowing letters, big fonts, different fonts, arrows, bling-bling, something to catch everyones' eyes. While some do acknowledge the stickies and read them, there is evidence that some do not

• 36 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Perhaps helpful posts to help new users could garner you some karma points ... what we don't want is a slew of users replying meanly with "read the FAQs n00b"

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

... as judged by mods or other users. I've seen this sort of thing in other forums, and systems where users can vote on the best reply to a question.

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

karma points sounds good cormyn good idea!

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I agree with 25wes.

Karma points sounds good.

For a nice comment or post towards a noob = +1 Karma Point?

For a Mean Comment or Post = -1 Karma Point?

Encourages being nice towards others.

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

more karma meens more respect meens more noticable meens favorite community member!

Less karma meens eventual temporary suspension?

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Well, karma is only representative of your behaviour. Negative karma won't mean you are going to be banned today, or tomorrow. It just says that you've been vile.

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

Oh ok thanks knight i unerstand now.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Sorry, this sounds like a forum turn off. Nobody wants to do homework just to make an account, even if the questions are easy. = /

Thanks - -;
Worked fine of the the other side, but then again I don't know how much work their mods go through on the site either.

A pop-up/private mes. with "Here to find infoplz" seems like the better middleway, though.
I fear that in the end there will be no way to actually solve this to a point where there won't be "How do I get AP???!!" all over the newcomer's, but that's forum life.

Then, of course, there was another forum using the "You can't use the forum before you have made a post in the newcomer's section" and stuff.

As long as it actually work to give people the rules in their hand, not only for the forums and in the forums, but for the entire site, it will be okay.

(On another note: Karmapoints D: )
lllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllll
187 posts
Nomad

Hm.... Soopah-Doopah stickies. Hm....

Probably it's a good thing, but not sure about it. Hm.....

lllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllll
187 posts
Nomad

Oh, what about emoticons. Like when I type in it doesn't show a Smily Face. That'll be awesome.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

@lllllllllllllllllll that has nothing to do with stickies. If you want that feature, please post it in the appropriate thread (or start one if there isn't one)

Thanks!

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I just thought of something.
You know how the spell check system is on Yahoo? It places the squiggly red line under the oops words and then when you click on the word if gives you choices? I wonder if this type of system would work for both the profile page comment section and the forums for AG3?
Like Cenere has said, if we keep the rules concise and the stickies down to a minimum then these are all loaded into the system. When a user hits submit for a new thread topic or, is just commenting on a thread, the system looks for keywords and phrases and offers the user choices.

eg: I want to start a thread on the WEPR and name it, "Will War Come To Cuba?". Now the system checks both the archives for thread topics and the rules/stickies for the WERP.

I know I haven't memorized all of the rules and I only read new rules and stickies when I notice them, not every time I have a question.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I just thought of something.
You know how the spell check system is on Yahoo? It places the squiggly red line under the oops words and then when you click on the word if gives you choices? I wonder if this type of system would work for both the profile page comment section and the forums for AG3?

You mean in general for posting a forum post/comment? That has to do with your browser. If you're browser has spell check then it'll have that red line under the word.

As for the super duper sticky, I don't think that would be a bad idea. Maybe you could try adding it.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

You mean in general for posting a forum post/comment? That has to do with your browser. If you're browser has spell check then it'll have that red line under the word.

As for the super duper sticky, I don't think that would be a bad idea. Maybe you could try adding it

No, I mean for Armor Games version 3's search engine. I'm only comparing my idea to that of Yahoo mail so it would be familiar to a developer, like Ian, aka Cormyn.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think @wajor59 is talking about a live context search, to watch what's being typed, and suggest that the user needs to review the rules or show a list of similar topics.

So if a user starts writing something about Cuba, we could alert them that similar topics may have already been written.

I doubt we'd ever build an as-you-type contextual search, they can get pretty complex and require us to build a "dictionary" or key words in every post so those contextual searches can happen decently fast.

Showing 16-30 of 36