ForumsNews and FeedbackSoopah-Doopah Stickies:

36 12919
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

While I shouldn't give criticism to the newcomers as I also had this trouble when I was new, the very thought of having stickies when they were more or less ignored or looked over is very alarming. Anything to make the important threads stand out better than just a pin and bold words would be great! Glowing letters, big fonts, different fonts, arrows, bling-bling, something to catch everyones' eyes. While some do acknowledge the stickies and read them, there is evidence that some do not

• 36 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Actually, this is why I was wondering if the help-page would be updated and be actually helpful. Because if you can see the "community"-part of the link-bar, you can see the "help"-part as well.
Also, trying to update them/make a wiki so it is actually possible to read through it without feeling tired, as well as Asherlee's idea with the Armor-bot.
And then there is always what Zophia and I have suggested throughout time: To actually have a sheet of questions you need to answer correctly before you can use your account. <---Suggestion right there!!

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Why do we need bling? I personally think that people should be somehow made to read the guidelines before entering. If they don't they'll suffer.

A possible example is a page that opens before you enter the forums.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I didn't realize your post came before mine Cenere.

To actually have a sheet of questions you need to answer correctly before you can use your account.

I believe coupling that with the mandatory terms and conditions and rules and regulations pages would be a good idea.

The Help page needs a comprehensive revamping. Yes, it helps in some ways but it is sorely lacking in others.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

The Help page needs a comprehensive revamping. Yes, it helps in some ways but it is sorely lacking in others.

It actually almost makes me cry. But then again I am schooled in how to do those things to the extent that, when I am done at school, I could be actually paid to analyse websites and come up with ways to make the site perfect (at least on the information sharing aspect).
Because Imma nerd like that.
And it pays well.

But yeah, joined a site with such a question sheet, and then links to where I might find the answers, which basically means you end up reading the rules a few times (some of the questions were really hard to answer correctly. I assume it was my fault, however), as well as their help-page...
Took me some 15 minutes to answer 20 questions with 3 different answers, because everything had to be correct....
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

The only problem I have with a "difficult answer sheet" is that it could scare away people.. Though I think the lazy people can shove it.

I assume it will only be for the forums right?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Most, if not all of our rules does ... lac of word, lack of word on the whole site, so I think it could be like the other site, being a way to get to your account.
And it's not super hard, it just needs you to actually read the rules/help, instead of ignore them, or scan them to answers.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

There are always slothful ones who don't bother with a few minutes of reading sadly.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

There are always slothful ones who don't bother with a few minutes of reading sadly.

Those will most likely not care to read stickies either, could be the ones that delete the warnings from the mods, and end up banned because they don't think mods should tell them what they are allowed to do and not to do, and who think they can do whatever they like?
I think it would allow a greater awareness amongst the users to how stuff works and more importantly how it doesn't work. And with a foundation like that, it is easier to fill on and extend the knowledge.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Some of the sluggish ones I meet are merely that, not caring to infringe and get themselves banned. The rest all are hammer practice. I agree with you completely though.

Now, if only we could see more action. I can see the visible excitement.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

While I agree that the fundamental parts of the site must be read to avoid any needless discussion, the last thing as a flash game site is to have the members scared off because we were too hard on the rules for them. It almost sounds orthodox. Activity and traffic is what this site needs.

-- Make the stickies substantially noticeable.

-- When a user wishes to make a new thread, prompt the user to read the stickies first by stating "Be sure to read the stickies or FAQ's before posting!". Make this substantially noticeable as well. Somewhere above or below the &quotost thread" button should suffice.

-- When (and if) a user does ask a question or posts something that suggests he or she did not read the stickies, simply lock the thread, but not before stating that the user read the stickies for further information. Some heightened awareness needs to be in order for the regulars so they don't blurt out the answers.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

One idea would be to auto-generate some private messages to the user when they log in for the first time, so they can see important messages to read about how to access FAQ's, help, etc.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

If I may: Having the questions in the start, and then keep FAQs and stickies to a minimum (I think most of us mods are tired of having a thousand stickies around) wouldn't scare people off to me. But smacking them in the face all the time with the rules would. I wouldn't make a thread if I had to look at "did you read the STICKIES/FAQ? If not, please GO READ THE STICKIES/RULES."
First way would make people aware of how they should act (I am not saying it should be some giant rulebook, it should just be pointers like "How many words would be the minimum in a post?" or "Mods are awesome y/n/we".

I still think we ought to optimize the stickies/FAQ/rules -
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/imonit.jpg
and point newbies towards it, but we are talking about people who have grown a habit of not even reading the descriptions for the different section at times.
Idk. I'm tired.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

And then there is always what Zophia and I have suggested throughout time: To actually have a sheet of questions you need to answer correctly before you can use your account.

Sorry, this sounds like a forum turn off. Nobody wants to do homework just to make an account, even if the questions are easy. = /

The members here aren't really that bad when it comes to rules... maybe I just don't notice because members don't bother me much and because I don't lurk the help and suggestions much. The members here have been pretty good when it comes to pushing unwritten rules on new members, including the "no making clubs in the tavern" rule.
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think this would be great ... The stickies will stand out more and maybe even newbies will actually read them!

Newbies post for example a Halo Topic when there's already a sticky for anything Halo Related.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

One idea would be to auto-generate some private messages to the user when they log in for the first time, so they can see important messages to read about how to access FAQ's, help, etc.

I like this idea the most. The stickies have a thumb tack and bold lettering. What more can we add? People are NOT having problems finding these stickied topics, they are just too lazy to read through them.

You will always have people asking questions that are already answered in the stickies. It is unavoidable. It's up to the mods and members of the site to redirect those people to the answers they seek.

Think about it, it's an opportunity to help new members. This is your chance to stand out as a helpful person and look awesome in front of the members, and more importantly, us mods. ; )

Not trying to hint at anything.
Not making any promises.
Just saying.
Showing 1-15 of 36