ForumsNews and FeedbackNew names for karma

156 34251
UnlimitedDragon
UnlimitedDragon
463 posts
Nomad

ok cormyn i know u want ideas about the new name for karma well i dont have any im posting this beacuse i didnt find a post on it so post away

• 156 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hey folks, we may just call it "reputation" for the launch, and rename it later. We're looking at some internationalization and translating down the road, so whatever terms we use for points/karma need to be able to translate easily.

We'll discuss this some more down the road.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Oh! You're making AG3 multilingual? Probably can't do the community aspect, but everything else would seem doable! The only thing that wouldn't work in my opinion would be what's typed out from other people. Otherwise, everything else would work

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Hey folks, we may just call it "reputation" for the launch, and rename it later. We're looking at some internationalization and translating down the road, so whatever terms we use for points/karma need to be able to translate easily.

"Ry" sounds stupid > >; Of course, I guess it will never become that multilingual.
XXAlienGirlXX
XXAlienGirlXX
810 posts
Nomad

"Ry" sounds stupid > >; Of course, I guess it will never become that multilingual.

Its not multilingual without the Uranian language, or the Uranian flag...
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I would think honor would be a good name. Rep is just overused everywhere. Almost every forum/game I go to there's always a reap system.

Honor all the way.

XXAlienGirlXX
XXAlienGirlXX
810 posts
Nomad

I would think honor would be a good name. Rep is just overused everywhere. Almost every forum/game I go to there's always a reap system.
Honor all the way.

Honer sounds too... formal. Notoriety sounds cooler.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I would assume honor translates remotely well although I don't know enough about language to make that determination; and it should sound formal AG's growing up; and notoriety makes it sound like you did something bad :P

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well, from a few minutes with a translator it would seem honor translates almost literally to Chinese, Japanese, German, Russian, and all the Romance languages. Seems fairly international.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

You can't do notoriety. The word basically refers to ill or unfavourable fame. Having a high "notoriety level" would probably indicate horrible behaviour. I don't understand why we should have such a system when good actions will build up a negative score.

Honour. Prestige. Reputation. My three choices.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

You can't do notoriety. The word basically refers to ill or unfavourable fame. Having a high "notoriety level" would probably indicate horrible behaviour. I don't understand why we should have such a system when good actions will build up a negative score.

I would say that notoriety is not a bad thing going of the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition. (Although the phrase: "They are notorious for {insert bad thing here}." is used often.)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/notoriety

no·to·ri·e·ty

noun \\ËnÅ-tÉ-ËrÄ«-É-tÄ"\\

plural no·to·ri·e·ties
Definition of NOTORIETY

1: the quality or state of being notorious

2: a notorious person

Examples of NOTORIETY

1. He achieved instant fame and notoriety with the release of his film.

2. She gained notoriety when nude photographs of her appeared in a magazine.

3. His comment about the President has given him a notoriety that he enjoys very much.

Origin of NOTORIETY
Middle French or Medieval Latin; Middle French notorieté, from Medieval Latin notorietat-, notorietas, from notorius
First Known Use: circa 1650
Related to NOTORIETY

Synonyms: big name, cause célèbre (also cause celebre), celeb, figure, icon (also ikon), light, luminary, megastar, name, notability, notable, celebrity, personage, personality, somebody, standout, star, superstar, VIP

Antonyms: nobody, noncelebrity

Related Words: favorite, heartthrob, hero, idol; demigod, dignitary, eminence, immortal, monument, pillar, worthy; baron, big shot, bigwig, kahuna, magnate, mogul, nabob, panjandrum

Near Antonyms: lightweight, mediocrity; has-been

Rhymes with NOTORIETY
contrariety, impropriety, inebriety, insobriety
BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

Not too fussed about the name itself, but I think I saw chivalry somewhere in this thread and that sounds pretty cool and fits in with the theme too, so I'd go with that

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Synonyms: big name, cause célèbre (also cause celebre), celeb, figure, icon (also ikon), light, luminary, megastar, name, notability, notable, celebrity, personage, personality, somebody, standout, star, superstar, VIP

OR...disrepute, ill-repute, shame, infamy

Being notorious is not something you want. questionable, opprobrious
scandalous,flagrant,infamous...if you wanna be these things, go right ahead. Being notorious means "widely and unfavorably known".

Besides. The team is sticking with honor until such and such with translating happens.
johnmchall
johnmchall
78 posts
Nomad

what about renown? i like how renown feels. anyone else think we should go with renown?

hiyacherry
hiyacherry
426 posts
Nomad

how about morals or morality?

hiyacherry
hiyacherry
426 posts
Nomad

sorry for the double post how about fame/imfamy
imfamy=bad
fame=good