ForumsThe TavernYour Favorite Dinosaur

164 32068
GunDragon
GunDragon
509 posts
Nomad

OK.This is basically about whats your favorite dinosaur(s)and why you like them.For me I am fond of the Velociraptor.I like how its small but ferocious.

• 164 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I love how there are sometimes bizarre fossils out there, like this Concavenator corcovatus (interpretation below), who has, only around the pelvis region, vertebrae elongations..

http://www.paleospot.com/illustrations/concavenator2.jpg

Thowra
Thowra
31 posts
Nomad

I actually don't know the names of any dinosaurs except for the t-rex, triceratops and pterodactyl, but I like those big herbivore ones with the really long necks and tails, tiny head and round back. They're so cute!

jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

personally I dont like dinosaurs very much but I like the pterydatil (I know I probably spelled it wrong but I know it has a &quot" at the beginning) 'cuz its cool and I like things that can fly XD

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

It's called evolutionary evidence, you just compare it to stuff you think it evolved to.

No it had to do with looking at the remains themselves.

Here's something on it.

"Tiny structures on the surface of the animal fossil cause sunlight to be split (like a prism) into the colors of a rainbow. Colors that result from these tiny structures are known as iridescent colors, like the colors that you see on a CD. These colors are very different from the chemically generated colors found in paints, skin, hair, or animal fur.

The tiny structures act as a diffraction grating (which is a reflecting surface covered in small parallel grooves), and exists in a lot of things naturally. You can find them in the antennae of seed srhimp, in the wing of a butterfly, and also in 515 million-year-old Burgess Shale fossils (shown right).

In the past, any color given to the skin, feathers, or fur of extinct animals have mostly guesswork, but now with this new discovery, we can pinpoint more accurately the color of extinct animals.
"

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2006/mar/news_7834.html
http://nanooze.blogspot.com/2007/02/colorful-fossils.html
DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

Yeah flying dinosaurs where the best. They could fly to get there food and so on.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I actually don't know the names of any dinosaurs except for the t-rex, triceratops and pterodactyl

personally I dont like dinosaurs very much but I like the pterydatil (I know I probably spelled it wrong but I know it has a &quot" at the beginning) 'cuz its cool and I like things that can fly XD

Yeah flying dinosaurs where the best. They could fly to get there food and so on.

Pterodactyls were not dinosaurs! They are often depicted together with dinosaurs, as well as swimming reptiles, but both do not belong to dinosaurs.
DeadlyVelociraptor
DeadlyVelociraptor
3,415 posts
Nomad

"Tiny structures on the surface of the animal fossil cause sunlight to be split (like a prism) into the colors of a rainbow. Colors that result from these tiny structures are known as iridescent colors, like the colors that you see on a CD. These colors are very different from the chemically generated colors found in paints, skin, hair, or animal fur.

The tiny structures act as a diffraction grating (which is a reflecting surface covered in small parallel grooves), and exists in a lot of things naturally. You can find them in the antennae of seed srhimp, in the wing of a butterfly, and also in 515 million-year-old Burgess Shale fossils (shown right).

In the past, any color given to the skin, feathers, or fur of extinct animals have mostly guesswork, but now with this new discovery, we can pinpoint more accurately the color of extinct animals."

Interesting, but wouldn't those structures, that are so fragile and little either get fossilized to a sort of non-working condition or just get destroyed by the change of time and ages?

I'm not saying I think it is wrong, I'm just saying it seems like a weird theory that needs to be further tested; I find it a bit too theoretical. (If that's the word for it).

Pterodactyls were not dinosaurs! They are often depicted together with dinosaurs, as well as swimming reptiles, but both do not belong to dinosaurs.

"Exactly, no dinosaurs could fly"

I'll prove that wrong. *Puts on a winged suit and jumps off a cliff*
bunniecorps
bunniecorps
467 posts
Nomad

My favorite would have to be a triceratops, I just think it's awesome.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Apparently they found a new predator (supposedly bigger than the t-rex) that there are calling as of now predator x I dont know anything about this preadtor but its allready my favorite dinosaur.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I'm not saying I think it is wrong, I'm just saying it seems like a weird theory that needs to be further tested; I find it a bit too theoretical. (If that's the word for it).

I think the word would be hypothetical. I agree, further testing would be a good thing.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

"Exactly, no dinosaurs could fly"

I'll prove that wrong. *Puts on a winged suit and jumps off a cliff*

Since when did I say that no dinosaur could fly?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

My Fav dinos are:-
T rex
Allosaurus
Velocraptor
My fav game is DINO CRISIS 2

chubz101
chubz101
78 posts
Nomad

thats hard probably trex

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

predator x

If that's the one off planet dinosaur its pretty much a liopleurodon and I can't see a difference tbh wiki link

Velociraptors on jurrasic park are alot smaller then they are shown.

Not many votes for spinosaurus that surprised me because in jurassic park 3 it kills the t rex but it's downfall is it's teeth aren't made for tearing through flesh they are designed to pierce and to grab things mainly fish so I don't know how well it would fare in a fight against other large theropods. The main advantage it has is scare tactics being larger and having a massive sail that would deter alot of other predators but they have found wounds from a Carcharodontosaurus in the sail of a fossil.

My favourite is probably Carcharodontosaurus for having teeth that do serious damage to other dinosaurs and for standing up against a spinosaurus.

An honorable mention is Sarcosuchus a massive crocodile that could drag huge prey into the water and devour them

http://planetdinosaur.com/dinosaur_list/images/sarconiger_tm.gif
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

my favorite dinosaur is the pterodactyl! it can fly, what else is better?

Showing 121-135 of 164