ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAwesome Art Contest: The Stone Age (p34)

362 105638
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Hi,

Some of you may remember the Art Skills Competition(ASC) that died some time ago, and there has been no succesful drawing art competition since it died. It died because there was no judge and other reasons, but I joined in the last 2 rounds of that competition and I have to say that I miss it.

So, I decided to have go at making another arty competition of that kind. And every succesful contest must have a set of rules.

1. You must not use artwork that belongs to any other person other than yourself

2. The artwork must be visual, not literary or audible. It can be a photo manipulation or drawing or other.

3. The deadline is 2 weeks from the setting of a new theme

4. You can submit more than one artwork, but must say which is your final

5. You must follow the theme

6. Anyone who fails to follow the first rule will be first warned, if repeated, then suspended for a round and then 2, and then banned until further notice.

7. The will be up to 5 awards each round which may vary, except for the 1st place award and Scenery award(background).

For anyone that would like to enter here's the Programs you could use alongside many others:

GIMP - free
Paint
Photoshop(costs)
Corel Painter(costs)

This round's Theme is

Ninjas

The 2 varying awards for this round are:

Weapon award
Stealth award

I will be the judge, so I won't enter

Hope this works

• 362 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I downloaded GIMP a while ago, but I've realized only now how awesome it is. So I've made this,
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2430/nightye.png
but I may add something or make another.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

OMG quite huge. I suggest opening a new window for it, with this link
[url]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2430/nightye.png[/url]
because I'm to lazy to make a thumbnail.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

CC ahead, don't read it if you don't care/don't want to know.

but I may add something or make another.

I would recommend some blue. I guess a layer of overlay could do it, but perhaps a multiply with low opacity could do the trick too.

Other than that, clouds should rarely be made with the smudge tool, it ruins most of the airiness of clouds, and should probably only be used for the places where the cloud actually smooths out in a fade, or when you are doing the - brush-clouds. Otherwise, use a soft brush and a really low opacity, and go about with it.
Oh, and the ones that are in front of the light/moon would need to be darker in the middle, as the outline glows up from the light. Alternatively, you could darken a line in the edge of the highlight, and then smooth it in to the base colour in the middle.
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

hey cenere, how did you learn to draw(digital)? because that dragon is awesome!!!

I guess it's tutorials and practice but I'd like to be sure so I can select my way foward.

and I agree with adding blue to that pic, both have clearly had effort put in, thanks!

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

[quote] And mods, if you haven't worked it out yet,

Uhuuuuuh.[/quote]

Cen, I think you failed the title! See if you can work out what's wrong.

If not then *spoiler alert*

its r4 not r3
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Cen, I think you failed the title! See if you can work out what's wrong.

If not then *spoiler alert*

its r4 not r3

And until an hour ago, it was the same name, because I was quite offended with what you wrote....
This did not make it any better.

As for the image, well, it is mainly just practice and tutorials and more practice, and then experiments.

I do still wonder if you care to explain or elaborate on your criticism, so it could become actually constructive?
I have asked both Strop and Zophia, and neither of them can see what should be wrong with the shading?
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

I have asked both Strop and Zophia, and neither of them can see what should be wrong with the shading?

perhaps its the bright orange on the can side makes the lighting seem like its coming from the side when the window is really the light source? the angle of the highlights is perpendicular to the window I guess. Maybe the edge of the can didn't fade to the normal orange color but to a lighter orange(lighter then the highlights. Or perhaps the back edge of the top of the can could use a little more shadow as a shadow goes into a shadow....
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

perhaps its the bright orange on the can side makes the lighting seem like its coming from the side when the window is really the light source?

Secondary light source on metal? There should not be a problem with this, really.
Or perhaps the back edge of the top of the can could use a little more shadow as a shadow goes into a shadow....

Hmm, perhaps, but making it look too dark would have broken the imagery as well. Presumably, from where I was trying to draw it from, you could not actually have seen a shadow there.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

ave gone with something like
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/can.jpg
instead of using an actual representation of a can. Realism-ish seem to make people more serious on how it is portrayed?
I don't know, but that would be what it looks like from a...nother perspective?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

CC ahead, don't read it if you don't care/don't want to know.

oh ok thanks for saying I'll skip the rest of the post.

no seriously, i added a blue layer, and it actually looks better. I have brightened up the moon so the clouds seem darker too.
link (I will post another image only when I'll be sure to have the final version, aka 5 mins before the deadline)

Other than that, clouds should rarely be made with the smudge tool

aww it seemed an awesome way... well maybe it's not so realistic but I like that effect, it seems like oil paint. and however I'm not going to restart over, maybe in another picture
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Yea I understand the realism-ish and the idea of a secondary light source( you can have a thousand light sources if you want :P) just trying to give some input

you could not actually have seen a shadow there

There are thousands of shadows hiding in the world because even a hair can cast one. Just because you can't see it a shadow within a shadow might make a slight difference in the overall perspective of the drawing.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

On the topic of smudge tool and clouds... It can work well if the cloud cover is consistent and a bit liquid, but it does take careful control to not have it just smear everywhere. :V

Off-topic because grrrrr, shiny Shaoooh is too darn elusive. :<

phsycomonkey
phsycomonkey
789 posts
Nomad

I really REALLY need a tablet >.>

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3952/76204846.png

A - instantly from dark to medium
B - That's where the should be light areas, but seems a bit darker a the edges
C - this is th eone I am unsure of.. why is it a curve along the edge of the dark?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

A - instantly from dark to medium

Which is because it is metal and a secondary light source.

B - That's where the should be light areas, but seems a bit darker a the edges

Ah.
And bleep the black line too.

C - this is th eone I am unsure of.. why is it a curve along the edge of the dark?

Because it looks pretty, and I think I went for the "More light on the top of it", which is also why there is more highlight there.

You really studied it, huh.

@Hectic: I know. Thanks for helping.

Presumably I should either actually try to do something realistic and flaw free for this, or just go with the simple quick crap I seem to win more with?
Showing 211-225 of 362