ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAwesome Art Contest: The Stone Age (p34)

362 111470
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Hi,

Some of you may remember the Art Skills Competition(ASC) that died some time ago, and there has been no succesful drawing art competition since it died. It died because there was no judge and other reasons, but I joined in the last 2 rounds of that competition and I have to say that I miss it.

So, I decided to have go at making another arty competition of that kind. And every succesful contest must have a set of rules.

1. You must not use artwork that belongs to any other person other than yourself

2. The artwork must be visual, not literary or audible. It can be a photo manipulation or drawing or other.

3. The deadline is 2 weeks from the setting of a new theme

4. You can submit more than one artwork, but must say which is your final

5. You must follow the theme

6. Anyone who fails to follow the first rule will be first warned, if repeated, then suspended for a round and then 2, and then banned until further notice.

7. The will be up to 5 awards each round which may vary, except for the 1st place award and Scenery award(background).

For anyone that would like to enter here's the Programs you could use alongside many others:

GIMP - free
Paint
Photoshop(costs)
Corel Painter(costs)

This round's Theme is

Ninjas

The 2 varying awards for this round are:

Weapon award
Stealth award

I will be the judge, so I won't enter

Hope this works

• 362 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

In my "crits" I say what I think. This contest is meant to be judged from an average person point of view.

In that case it's worth prefacing such statements with an "I think", "I feel" or "IMHO" or something. It doesn't change how you feel when making any of those statements but it conveys something important.

When I was judging this contest years ago, I'd actually write a paragraph introducing the new topic hinting at what aspects I would be particularly looking at. When judging I'd write a preface to the judging with an overall impression that expanded on this, thus if people had complaints I could point to my documented notes on the thread saying "well this is just how I did it this round". Of course eventually I had to quit because it became too much effort lol.

Light and casual's the way to go with these things, it's actually an effort to keep it that way!
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Thanks Strop

As for you driejen, that is an all right pic, except for the horizon.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

anyway, who cares?

Uh, you do.

except for the horizon.

Did you read anything Strop/Zoph/Cen/Everyone with a concious (bloody hell I wish I could spell) said?

By the way, if I draw something for something else (ie not the contest) and it fits the theme can I enter, or does it have to be specifically a contest entry?
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Uh, you do.

No, I don't but I had to reply. It'd be rude if I didn't.

Did you read anything Strop/Zoph/Cen/Everyone with a concious (bloody hell I wish I could spell) said?

Yep. And I'm sure they idn't say: don't say anything about the art. They said: don't overdo it.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

No, I don't but I had to reply. It'd be rude if I didn't.

You've only gone on about it for several pages. Looks to me like someone was looking for an easy route out.

Yep. And I'm sure they idn't say: don't say anything about the art. They said: don't overdo it.

Well, Zoph said:

with little to no tips on how to improve it other than "you should improve this".

and saying that the horizon is bad is worse than that.

And you still didn't answer my question ):
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

You've only gone on about it for several pages. Looks to me like someone was looking for an easy route out.

Yeah Pazx, I think it's time to give this one a bit of a rest, I'm pretty sure what needed saying, only needed saying once!

My advice was a bit more subtle than that: I think it's fine to crit but only if you make it very clear what level you're at and therefore how seriously you should be taken. Zophia's advice, not to crit for something like this, is safer and probably more appropriate for this kinda endeavour.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Yawn all this arguing has become boring... People aren't posting as they say all this lol... Can we go back to the art?

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Um, on a different note, When is the judging?

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Yawn all this arguing has become boring... People aren't posting as they say all this lol... Can we go back to the art?

And I won't say which advice I picked as the one to follow.

Um, on a different note, When is the judging?

Well, not decided, probably 24th.
driejen
driejen
486 posts
Nomad

Not sure what you mean. I wanted gentle hills to be there so you don't actually see a flat horizon because it is covered by the hills.
jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

I see what he means. The horizon is to sudden. It's hard to describe..

Compare it to this photograph and see what I mean:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/346698184_1ddeb31a7c.jpg

Yours looks 2 demensional and not so realistic.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I personally think the level of realism for Drejen's changes with the horizon.

Same with my sort-of entry.

By the way, if I draw something for something else (ie not the contest) and it fits the theme can I enter, or does it have to be specifically a contest entry?
driejen
driejen
486 posts
Nomad

Okay, I added varying degrees of shadow to the ground to try to convey its angle and give it some depth.
Heres the 2nd version;
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9318/fdg2.png

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Heres the 2nd version;

Much, much, much better! Well done, clever way of fixing it.

As for the photo, is that a photo? It looks more like a montage.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

You gonna answer my question or shall I continue to spam this thread :]

As for the photo, is that a photo? It looks more like a montage.

Isn't a montage a filmaking technique using music to display a story?
Showing 241-255 of 362