ForumsArt, Music, and WritingAwesome Art Contest: The Stone Age (p34)

362 105637
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Hi,

Some of you may remember the Art Skills Competition(ASC) that died some time ago, and there has been no succesful drawing art competition since it died. It died because there was no judge and other reasons, but I joined in the last 2 rounds of that competition and I have to say that I miss it.

So, I decided to have go at making another arty competition of that kind. And every succesful contest must have a set of rules.

1. You must not use artwork that belongs to any other person other than yourself

2. The artwork must be visual, not literary or audible. It can be a photo manipulation or drawing or other.

3. The deadline is 2 weeks from the setting of a new theme

4. You can submit more than one artwork, but must say which is your final

5. You must follow the theme

6. Anyone who fails to follow the first rule will be first warned, if repeated, then suspended for a round and then 2, and then banned until further notice.

7. The will be up to 5 awards each round which may vary, except for the 1st place award and Scenery award(background).

For anyone that would like to enter here's the Programs you could use alongside many others:

GIMP - free
Paint
Photoshop(costs)
Corel Painter(costs)

This round's Theme is

Ninjas

The 2 varying awards for this round are:

Weapon award
Stealth award

I will be the judge, so I won't enter

Hope this works

• 362 Replies
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

[quote]A - instantly from dark to medium

Which is because it is metal and a secondary light source. [/quote]

So how come the shadow on the ground wasn't affected?

And I still can't make out where the secondary light source/s is/are.

As for the size.. Well, bigger is better if well applied(high detail images).

Presumably I should either actually try to do something realistic and flaw free for this, or just go with the simple quick crap I seem to win more with?

Well, I would suggest the first one.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

So how come the shadow on the ground wasn't affected?

Because it isn't metal?
*shrug*
let's just conclude I am crap at images to the point where the concept I had was not even there?

As for the size.. Well, bigger is better if well applied(high detail images).

I don't care to do high details because when I do that, people just shrug and go instead of help me improve on those details.

Well, I would suggest the first one.

No can do.
jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

I'm terrible with this theme, and I feel sooo bad because I used specific brushes to make the clouds :'(.

I might make another later, all from me

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/jaza_m/night.jpg

Also, Get over it, Its just a little shading

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Sorry, a little large, let me try that again

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/jaza_m/night-1-1.jpg

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Also, Get over it, Its just a little shading

I would agree, but really.. the secondary light affects metal and not shadows.

anyway, who cares?
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Since my name's been mentioned in this thread, I have to say something.

Manny, you seem to have put a lot of thought into your crit of one piece, and I will of course take into account the fact that this is mainly because that one piece has been discussed so heavily. But having read this, I don't see how you purport to hold consistent judging. How particular are you willing to get under scrutiny? Is it going to stay the same if I were to ask you about other pieces?

What concerns me more is that you're trying to appear more expert than you actually are. I'm not convinced of the accuracy or even relevancy of your justifications, and it just seems like you're digging yourself into a hole that gets deeper the further anybody probes. We should probably just remind ourselves that not everybody's going to be happy with your judgement. We're not trying to determine the Prix de Rome here, this is a subsection of a casual internet forum. Just include a disclaimer "this is what I like" and be honest with your motivations. If you want to give everybody a chance to win and want to mix things up, then do so because sure, everybody hates one or two people winning all the time. But if you're not upfront about it and pretend to make this deal more serious than you can handle, it's just gonna make people unhappy.

This is the kind of pressure you have to deal with, in your capacity as a judge, and that applies to anybody who volunteers for the position. Expect a neverending stream of criticism, and be honest with yourself, or you'll have people like me accusing you of being dishonest to others. This is the same kinda thing I'd say to anybody else in the same position as a judge of something like this.

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

I have to agree, it seems you got little imperfections in the picture and just picked 'em apart from there.

But my picture was the best, Right strop?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

But my picture was the best, Right strop?

lol, your picture is beast jaza. And that reminds me, I was gonna get around to that other stuff of yours, but I worked an unrostered shift today so yeah, hang in there.
jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Aha, Its ok, things come up.

But on a serious note, I've been on the verge of shoving a 12 gauge down my throat because of you strop.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

Here is my night tiger
http://i56.tinypic.com/54zpg8.png

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Here is my night tiger

You know, when you continue to repost that everywhere, it is starting to fell more and more like spam.
Perhaps you could do that outrageous thing and draw something new?
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

What concerns me more is that you're trying to appear more expert than you actually are.

I try to make as little judgement and crit as possible.. and then Cenere decided to talk about it in detail. Then it was hard explaining it.

as for the 'this is what I like' thing. And when I made this contest I didn't have huge reviews in mind only what is good and what is not. As the title suggests this is not a contest of serious stuff(even though it is nice to see a lot of effort).

In my "crits" I say what I think. This contest is meant to be judged from an average person point of view.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I think you could avoid all trouble of this sort by not including the "to improve" part of your judging.

For all of the entries it seems a too broad and/or too subjective statement of what you personally think should be different, with little to no tips on how to improve it other than "you should improve this".

If you don't want to go more in depth with it (or can't), I would suggest just leaving that out.

driejen
driejen
486 posts
Nomad

I haven't drawn in a while, here goes

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9378/nightc.jpg

Also I agree the improve bit should be left out, it's too harsh for a contest that isn't expertly judged. And it makes the point sound official when they are possibly opinionated and creates disagreements.

driejen
driejen
486 posts
Nomad

Aah, it came out pixalated when I made it JPEG, heres the png

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4963/fdgx.th.png
Clicky

Showing 226-240 of 362