ForumsGamesWASD vs Arrow Keys

537 165086
silvermoon123
silvermoon123
855 posts
Nomad

Do you use WASD or the arrow keys? Why is WASD even an option? Why are arrow keys so superior? Questions like these and more can be posted here, as well as lots of answers! Give your opinion on these basic movement controls below!

• 537 Replies
116 posts
Nomad

Why is this in flash games?

Where else would it be?
espadaxin2
espadaxin2
485 posts
Blacksmith

i always use arrow keys when possible.

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

wasd keys are dominant in the games I play never use arrow keys unless they are not programmed for it

JDR3000
JDR3000
179 posts
Nomad

Since I play Minecraft a lot, I've grown accustomed to the WASD controls compared to the Arrow Keys. Although that's just me. Your opinion may differ.

epickonersheeshawl
epickonersheeshawl
26 posts
Peasant

i preffer arrow keys but in a game that u need to use a mouse i preffer wasd fo comfort

shadowpwner927
shadowpwner927
6 posts
Nomad

Arrow keys cos i'm right handed

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Play a game where you must use wasd. Play it a lot.

--> You just can't use arrow keys anymore.

perShion
perShion
1 posts
Jester

for a right handed player could arrow keys be better

awesome_gamer10
awesome_gamer10
4 posts
Peasant

i like WASD, but im right handed 0_0. I also, in Guitar Hero I play the guitar the lefty way. Im horrible throwing anything lefthanded though. Am i ambidextrous with video games??

ProDemon
ProDemon
8 posts
Nomad

I personally use WSAD, because it is more comfortable and allows easy access to other keys that might be used as HotKeys.

alfa66andres
alfa66andres
6 posts
Shepherd

I think WASD is better when you have a laptop or when you use the mouse, so both hands are not too close to each other.
Arrow keys are better when you only use them or when you use other keys to play.

moleplayingrough
moleplayingrough
3 posts
Nomad

This depends for me. I usually use controls to where my hands are spaced apart on the keyboard. For example: I would rather use arrows if the other controls are z, x, and c.

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

I refrained from participating in this thread but since it always bounce back to top...

Someone who says that WASD is bad is dumb. Has that person never played with a console remote before? Where is the directional pad? Right, to the left. So... So what if WASD is also to the left on the keyboard?

Furthermore, people who don't like WASD usually say that it is stupid to get the keys there because it is not like the arrow keys to the right. Again, why? Ok, they are not aligned perfectly but that's extremely marginal. When you look at those keys, they are exactly like the arrow keys but for your left hand. If you were to remove the WASD caps on your keyboard and replace them with the arrow caps, you would not see the difference really.

And then, to the reasons why WASD actually exist: it is only logical. The vast, vast majority of PC users are right handed and use their mouse with their right hand because that's where you need precision. This setup really begs for arrow keys set to the left of the keybard for the left hand. Secondly, anybody who knows how to type already know almost from instinct how to go hit the 12345 buttons above the WASD setup with their left hand. So those buttons, as well as the F1F2F3F4 buttons above (and sometimes even F5 on old keyboards) are available for option buttons. Anybody who ever played WoW also know that every button around that can also be used for extra option buttons... So this setup is very logical.

Now... The topic name is WASD VS arrow keys... Which I find silly because I always think: WHY? Why should there be a war or a decision between the two? Okay, it is true that the vast majority of the PC users are right handed but... What about the left handed people? Yeah, many use their mouse with their left hand. So for them, the arrows are the logical (if not basic) choice.

So, to conclude, I will say this: WASD VS Arrow Keys? No. Always use BOTH. And then allow the user to decide by himself.

CrusafixSoldier
CrusafixSoldier
17 posts
Peasant

WASD is great because it can be used in the position your left hand is meant to be in while you use the mouse which is in the perfect position for your right, rather than reaching over or stretching for the arrow keys with your left while you move the mouse with your right.

VeoliaOfScania
VeoliaOfScania
15 posts
Jester

If it's a platform game - use arrow keys

If you have to use the mouse too - WASD

Arrow keys are natural to use for all right-handed people that are, as GhostOfMatrix, said about 80 %

But even for a right handed WASD can be right to use. At least, the feeling is the same

Showing 406-420 of 537