ForumsSupport ForumJumping In - Any Questions for an Admin?

20 6585
John
John
345 posts
Nomad

Hi gang,

I've been busy busy busy since the launch time of Armor Games 2.0 and I have been severely neglecting posting in the community forums since then, which is especially odd since I am usually pretty active in most forums. So expect to see me around moderating, I'd love to get to know most of the moderators and regulars around here a bit more . In case you don't know who I am I am the guy who writes on the blog a lot, wrote the rules and guidelines for the site, makes some of the games you see on the home page, and drinks all the Dr. Pepper in the office.

It's been a particularly busy 4 months since we've launched, and we're getting new features added just about every month. I get a lot of questions emailed or IM'd to me, but I wanted to extend to opportunity to answer any of your questions personally about the site, the people here, modship, anything that you think needs an admin to answer. We love your feedback, and we care that you spend the time you do on Armor Games . So fire away. Or if not, I'll see you around! Always feel free to email/message me too!

• 20 Replies
Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

Well, i would like to know about sponsorships? When armorgames sponsors a game/game creator what exactly happens. I have heard that the game creator gets a certain amount of pay. Is this correct?

and no, i am not a flash creator

Tydus
Tydus
239 posts
Nomad

What are your opinions on users using Flash as a tool for education rather than fun as the primary goal?

Do you agree with the changes that Adobe has made with Flash in Flash CS3?

Were do you see Flash as an industry 5 years from now? 10? 20?

Actually, it'd be interesting to here what people say who AREN'T AG staff, but these questions are aimed at John.

Stinger_Maniac
Stinger_Maniac
322 posts
Nomad

Sorry if this is not a proper question but I was wondering.

How do you be a mod or admin?

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

Well, flash in 5, 10, or even 20 years probably won't even resemble anything as it is known as today. I encourage current flash creators to stay in the business and develop more complex, harder, and insane games. I imagine 3D virtual flash games. You know, where you don't need 3D glasses to see the 3D, it is just built into the flash. Seems like it would evolve to a whole new era of online gaming.

John
John
345 posts
Nomad

Well, i would like to know about sponsorships?

We usually get presented with a game, then we find an agreement with the developer on how much to pay them. We also have full-time developers who work for an income and not on a per-game basis (like I am here at the office).
What are your opinions on users using Flash as a tool for education rather than fun as the primary goal?

I think it's an amazing tool to get into. It's going to develop your artistic and programming skills both at once, and it really is a jack-of-all-trades in the multimedia/design field. For education it's a great place to jump into... of course it's a lot of fun too, as frustrating as it can be.

Do you agree with the changes that Adobe has made with Flash in Flash CS3?

I think Flash CS3 was a nice upgrade that fixed a lot of issues that were reoccuring in Flash MX 2004 and Flash 8. I do, however, wish that Actionscript 3.0 was not built in a way that isolates non-programmers... I feel like it adds a level of complexity to programming that non-programmers such as artists or designers shouldn't have to fight, but it's really a catch-22 since developers like myself get to benefit from the upgrades.

Were do you see Flash as an industry 5 years from now? 10? 20?

It's hard to say, the rapid-growth of technology makes it hard to make any prediction about anything. Flash is aiming to do amazing things and meld with technologies such as television, broadcasting, etc... so I think it's going to be around for quite a while longer.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Do you feel you are addicted to Dr. Pepper? I hear the dependency on Dr. Pepper is close to an illicit drug.

lvdk
lvdk
71 posts
Nomad

Hi John, I was just wondering... I saw on a topic that you guys was gonna make a new profile layout... Is that right? If it is, when do you think you will be done?

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

I actually have another. What is the significant difference between the administration board members, selective moderation, and normal members. I am just partially confused as what is the main difference.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Well we are all glad that you can finally join everyone in the forums. = D

Do you think there will be any changes in ArmorPoint distribution in ArmorGames?

Also, with that armatar and your username... you remind me of Little John (that great big guy) from the tales of Robin Hood. lol

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

What is it like being the Head of Game Development for Armor Games?

Do you get any nifty fringe benefits like playing Sonny 2 before the huddled masses get to lay their gaze uopn it? ^_^

Nice to finally 'meet' you. I am just crazy member that wander arounds and posts stuff. Just ask Asherlee, Moe or Carlie.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

If I'm ever lucky enough to work with you guys, you won't be the only one drinking all the Dr. P >

Anyway, my question is: Do you ever weigh in on sponsorships? Such as if Dan receives a game, do you give your opinion? And not just you, the rest of the developers.

John
John
345 posts
Nomad

Hi John, I was just wondering... I saw on a topic that you guys was gonna make a new profile layout... Is that right? If it is, when do you think you will be done?

We are not sure yet. We have a special feature that we are just starting to get working on and it most likely will tie into the profile pages. I can't really talk about it yet but we'll start to roll it out soon... along with a few other things.

What is the significant difference between the administration board members, selective moderation, and normal members. I am just partially confused as what is the main difference.

Normal members have the ability to flag and up-vote, while moderators are given additional powers to also delete, merit, and sticky posts or topics. Admins rule over all sort of like that ring from LOTR.

Nice to see you finaly on the forum.

Yeah thanks .

Do you think there will be any changes in ArmorPoint distribution in ArmorGames?

We are good for the moment, but when the site first reopened back in January we did fluctuate the points a little bit. I think a better way to possibly regulate the point distribution in the future is to add a few more ranks in between, but we haven't gotten that far yet.

What is it like being the Head of Game Development for Armor Games?

I assume it would be like being head cheerleader for the cheerleading team. I like the job and responsibility that comes with it. I've never been a cheerleader so I can't back that analogy up.

Do you ever weigh in on sponsorships? Such as if Dan receives a game, do you give your opinion? And not just you, the rest of the developers.

Sure. I'm not sure about the rest of the developers but I get to help facilitate sponsorships a bit.
dgw91
dgw91
35 posts
Nomad

What are your plans for armor games in the immediate, near, and far futures?
or is that too broad of a question?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Great idea for a topic John!

So what is your favorite office snack?

Salmanius
Salmanius
277 posts
Peasant

As gameing starts to expand, and more complex games are getting made by smaller groups of people, do you think that Armor Games will expand its horizon of types of games? Like 3D or online multiplayer games?

Showing 1-15 of 20