ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156847
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Recently we were talking about nuclear bombs, and now I asked where the energy the started the universe came from.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Oh, very good questions. Not sure about the second one...

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Another question: where did the energy for the beginning of the big bang come from?

Since we are dealing with a point where time as we know it doesn't exist and such a thing can't be created or destroyed it's possible it could have always been here. One hypothesis coming out of M theory suggests that two membranes collided depositing transferring the energy from one to the other resulting in a singularity. There are other hypotheses but I can't think of them right not.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

One hypothesis coming out of M theory suggests that two membranes collided depositing transferring the energy from one to the other resulting in a singularity.

Would those be the same Membranes describe in the alternate realities suggested by the String Theory?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Would those be the same Membranes describe in the alternate realities suggested by the String Theory?

Yes, M Theory is the unification of the various string theories.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Page 100! A turning point!

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Yes, M Theory is the unification of the various string theories.

Ah, yes. I agree highly with M Theory, I had just forgotten that was what it was called.

HELL YEAH!!! PAGE 100!!!!!
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Theres no experimental evidence for String Theory/M Theory; Same reason why Stephen Hawking will never get a Nobel Prize. Its untestable, unobservable, and theres several differen't ideas about how it actually works. And yet its somehow not falsifiable. :/

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

So string theory is just an exremely well educated guess? So currrently there has been no experiments done on it. Is it because experiments can't be done to prove it?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Theres no experimental evidence for String Theory/M Theory; Same reason why Stephen Hawking will never get a Nobel Prize. Its untestable, unobservable, and theres several differen't ideas about how it actually works. And yet its somehow not falsifiable. :/

It's part of theoretical physics and based on mathematics. The underline structure of the mathematics is established and fits our observations of the universe. Also yes it is falsifiable. Given it's currently at the forefront of our collective knowledge it's likely we will find and correct many problems as we discover new evidence.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, if there was to be built a machine that can observe the multiverse at a distance and see the membranes collide and form new universes, then it could be proven.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Cool, but is it possible to see the membranes?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Cool, but is it possible to see the membranes?

Right now no. I have no idea how we could even go about making such a viewing device like what Dragon suggests.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Well, all things are possible through the Lord. I'm sure Byron has thought of something.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Well, all things are possible through the Lord. I'm sure Byron has thought of something.

I'm confused.

But the membranes are part of different demensions right? Could we find a way to those different demensions?
Showing 976-990 of 1019