ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156853
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

2. Is there such thing as 2D or 1D? I mean from a perspective even a piece of paper has width. And a human hair's width can fit a million atoms.

Yes there is. Length and width are the first two dimensions respectively, and while they do exist, we have difficulty conceptualizing them in our minds because all of our visual stimuli is presented stereoscopically 3-dimensional. The presence of a 4th spatial dimension (the two directions being at right angles to up and down, called ana and kata) is also a possibility, but we would have no natural way of perceiving naturally it as our vision field is stereoscopically 3D.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

It was a high energy density. We didn't even have matter at this point.

Thanks. What do you mean the third demension is a hologram.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Thanks. What do you mean the third demension is a hologram.

It's an emergent property of the two. Like how a 2D hologram can hold information about 3D objects, making the image appear 3D. Since we are part of that image we perceive the universe as 3D when it's actually 2D.
Valks
Valks
263 posts
Nomad

1. Place food in box
2. Add deadly radiation (microwaves)
3. Hot food in minutes?

1. Add unstable metal (sodium) to deadly gas (chlorine)
2. Tasty condiment?

SCIENCE, HOW DOES IT WORK?!

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I see single and double dimensioned figures to be an impossibility. If they are made of something, then there must be depth to them, no matter how minuscule, so they have three dimensions.
I do, however, believe that there are dimensions we have not yet identified as such. I believe energy, gravity and many other such things could be reasonably suggested as being dimensions.

1. Place food in box
3. Hot food in minutes?

Microvibrations. Heat is vibrations at a microscopic level and since the microwaves excite the atoms and such to vibrate, it makes it hot.

2. Tasty condiment?

Hydrogen reacts chemically as if it was a metal and Sodium has a more reactive Oxidation level, so it tries to replace Hydrogen in molecules. When it meets a water molecule, it rips the Oxygen away from the molecule and bonds to it. Macroscopically, this reaction is explosive.
Chlorine reacts when meeting water to cause the production of Hydrochloric Acid. In the confines of the lungs, this causes acid burns, which welts the soft tissue (it does the same to pretty much any living tissue containing excess water). These welts build up, causing a painful suffocation.

SCIENCE, HOW DOES IT WORK?!

Any more questions?
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Hydrogen reacts chemically as if it was a metal and Sodium has a more reactive Oxidation level, so it tries to replace Hydrogen in molecules. When it meets a water molecule, it rips the Oxygen away from the molecule and bonds to it. Macroscopically, this reaction is explosive.
Chlorine reacts when meeting water to cause the production of Hydrochloric Acid. In the confines of the lungs, this causes acid burns, which welts the soft tissue (it does the same to pretty much any living tissue containing excess water). These welts build up, causing a painful suffocation.

Forgot one thing.
When these two elements bond as ions, it prevents any substantial reactions with Hydrogen, so Chlorine isn't poisonous and Sodium isn't explosive.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Microwaves are not radiation and they are also not deadly.

Sodium is only unstable under rare circumstances.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Microwaves are not radiation and they are also not deadly.

Microwaves are radiation and if someone is put in a giant microwave, it would cook them alive. Is being cooked lethal? If so, so are microwaves.

Sodium is only unstable under rare circumstances.

Yes, only when it is in contact with water.
*looks at a globe*
Water isn't very rare.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Microwaves are radiation and if someone is put in a giant microwave, it would cook them alive. Is being cooked lethal? If so, so are microwaves.

Radiation is the release of alpha, beta and gamma particles from an unstable atom, In that case the microwaves don't kill him. The heat does. When I put my hand by the microwave I don't get sick.

Yes, only when it is in contact with water.
*looks at a globe*
Water isn't very rare.

I've never seen a cup explode when someone put salt in it.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

I've never seen a cup explode when someone put salt in it.

salt isnt pure sodium. sodium by itself is very reactive and dangerous, as is chlorine, but when added together, they realize theyve found what theyre looking for and they become calm and turn into peaceful salt.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

salt isnt pure sodium. sodium by itself is very reactive and dangerous, as is chlorine, but when added together, they realize theyve found what theyre looking for and they become calm and turn into peaceful salt.

I know, I was exagerating.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

http://sait.aegaeon.ca/files/2010/09/ElectromagneticSpectrum.png
Microwaves are radiation.

I know, I was exagerating.

That isn't really an exaggeration, it is more of a snafu.

Radiation is the release of alpha, beta and gamma particles from an unstable atom

that is nuclear radiation.

In that case the microwaves don't kill him. The heat does.

So if I were to shoot you, I didn't kill you, your blood pressure did.

When I put my hand by the microwave I don't get sick.

Because it is turned off. If you want to see what happens when you are hit with microwaves, bust the lead-lined glass pane out and turn it on. Just so you know, if you were to actually do that, it would kill you. Don't do it.
Do. Not. Do. It.
EVER!

Very nice explanation, Floyd. I commend you.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Because it is turned off. If you want to see what happens when you are hit with microwaves, bust the lead-lined glass pane out and turn it on. Just so you know, if you were to actually do that, it would kill you. Don't do it.
Do. Not. Do. It.
EVER!

It was on actually. And what's a snafu? I still don't see how a microwave could kill you. It's not like it just goes inside of you and messes around in your body.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

[url=http://www.iem-inc.com/prnon1.html]

Acoording to this your microwaves frequency is probably around 2,450 meagahertz and frequences less then 3,000 will go under the skin and damage your soft skin insides. then if you say there you will eventually die.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd
Showing 946-960 of 1019