ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156851
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

There was recently a case where a woman was convicted of murdering her newborn. How? Putting the baby in a microwave on high for 10 minutes.

So yes, microwaves do kill. They're just lined with lead so you don't get your brain fried.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Just a thought, if it only takes a thin layer of lead to stop nuclear radiation (and most any type of radiation), it would only take a single layer of lead foil placed in the armor of SpecOps forces to effectively shield them from any radiation encountered in their missions while still allowing the mobility required, which a traditional CBRN suit restricts. What are your thoughts on this?

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Well lead is heavy, but I guess a specops agent could deal with it. Would it still cause brain damage if they wear it long enough?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Just a thought, if it only takes a thin layer of lead to stop nuclear radiation (and most any type of radiation), it would only take a single layer of lead foil placed in the armor of SpecOps forces to effectively shield them from any radiation encountered in their missions while still allowing the mobility required, which a traditional CBRN suit restricts. What are your thoughts on this?

Much of the incomberance comes from protecting the wearer from the vacuum of space and other equipment installed into the suit.

Well lead is heavy, but I guess a specops agent could deal with it.

The weight isn't so much a problem in space as it is getting it up there in the first place.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Lead foil is like tin foil, so it wouldn't weigh all that much.

Much of the incomberance comes from protecting the wearer from the vacuum of space and other equipment installed into the suit.

CBRN suit are vacuum sealed for chemical and biological purposes, not space missions.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

CBRN suit are vacuum sealed for chemical and biological purposes, not space missions.

Those are lead lined.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

It'd be fairly heavy, and would only be useful if it covered their entire body, like a CBRN suit. Besides, if a Nuclear Bomb were to go off in a combat zone, firt guys to go would be the Special Forces who found it, and the NEST Teams who were trying to disarm it.

Ground Zero of a Nuclear Explosion > CBRN Suit

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Ground Zero of a Nuclear Explosion> just about everything.

Could we make something that would surive a nuclear explosion and use it to make sure humans do too?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Certainly not at ground zero. A few inches of lead can stop gamma rays with a bit to spare, but theres just the sheer force of the explosion. At Hiroshima and Nagasaki, entire structures were just complete obliberated, and people got incinerated. And now Nuclear weapons are several hundred times stronger. Fat Man is the largest nuclear device ever used in combat, at a blast yeild of 21 Kilo-Tonnes.

Nagasaki Ground Zero:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZp67ZyRXXoodpg4WhlWIc-TOJCxSJnHm0wRUMNiTZDw7rzEZ7MQ

So just imagine a Minuteman MIRV with 12 Nuclear Warheads, with blast yeilds in the megatons. Ballistic Missile Defense is economically unviable for any country other than a world power, and nothing can survive the immeidate blast.

Really your only 'safe' bet is to either live in a bunker constantly, or move to a city that no ones ever heard of. Preferably in one of the states in the middle of the US, the square ones.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Also, Fatman and Littleboy were detonated 1000 feet above ground. That is what happens if you are 1000 feet away from the nuke.

Really your only 'safe' bet is to either live in a bunker constantly, or move to a city that no ones ever heard of. Preferably in one of the states in the middle of the US, the square ones.

Despite the lack of importance of some of the central states, they are still a viable target. If they were to be bombed, the fallout zone would cover most of America.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I wonder if the states by the sea would be bombed. I think it would be a bad idea because you would be sending nuclear waste into the sea and that affects everyone.

Also, Fatman and Littleboy were detonated 1000 feet above ground. That is what happens if you are 1000 feet away from the nuke.

Really? if it was detonated on the ground would the force be enough to cause a crater?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Really? if it was detonated on the ground would the force be enough to cause a crater?

It probably could, but the reason they decided to detonate it in the air was because that outward energy would be wasted creating such a crater.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Despite the lack of importance of some of the central states, they are still a viable target. If they were to be bombed, the fallout zone would cover most of America.

Funny joke is funny? No...

Central States are the 'Breadbasket' of America. Those get irradiated, a heck of a lot of countries are going to starve along with the US. Namely in the third world.

I wonder if the states by the sea would be bombed. I think it would be a bad idea because you would be sending nuclear waste into the sea and that affects everyone.

If anybody was crazy enough to use a nuclear weapon in this day and age, I don't think they would care about the World's Oceans. :/

The Eastern Seaboard of the US is a viable target. It contains (among other things) Washington DC, the NYSE, several major airports in Miami, Atlanta, Boston, and New York/New Jersey, key port cities, and heavy industry. It'd probably be the first thing hit in fact.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Yeah I hoped it wouldn't be that way. But at least nobody would be stupid enough to start a war with nuclear weaponds. (Probably).

Another question: where did the energy for the beginning of the big bang come from?

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Sorry to ask, but what are you talking about now?

Showing 961-975 of 1019